Suggestions PLEASE!

Staten Is. Rick

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are fairly new to the hobby. We live in the NYC metro area and are looking for places that are friendly to "hunters". We have been to some area parks and beaches but we are looking to expand out territory. Also, any information on permitting (outside of NYC parks dept.) would be greatly appreciated. It seems one could be easily confused with the abundance if info on the net...

Thanks all!
Rick and Lynne

I think I have been blessed with places to hunt at least. I don't think any are going to be "honeyholes" but I have over 40 old sites on my list that haven't ever been hunted yet. (Most old homesteads, a loging camp, mining camp) I have had good luck with "word of mouth" just from people I have known for years. I always strike up a conversation about my new hobby and pretty soon something is mentioned about a site they knew, or a friend or relative. I think that works best, just get the word out to people you already know. With that said, I also think here in Mt there isn't a lot of hunters. I have never seen one. Been to a few public places now and you can pick clad all day if that is what you like to do. (I don't) I guess if I kept with it and found a ring or two, or something of more value I would be more apt to hunt around people (public areas) It is tough to get any hunting done in public for me as everyone has 101 questions and stories. I always try to be cordial, polite and informative and that has led to a few invites but sometimes you just want to turn your headphones up and ignore them. (I don't but sometimes I feel like it) My advice is pretty much let all of your acquaintences know, and anyone else you talk to that you are looking for places to carefully hunt. It's always good to mention very rarely is much found that is of monetary value (at least in my case) and that detectors usually haul away more trash to be disposed of properly than anything. Good luck~montanamuzik

Back
Top Bottom