Best way to date local parks

DW0378

Forum Supporter
I have been trying to research my local town parks and am having trouble trying to date them. I am on long island and have used the maps the best I can but they only go back so far. As soon as I have time I'm going to hit the library and see what kind of older information they have. However in the mean time if anyone has any suggestions I am open to listening.

Thanks

Thanks that's pretty much what I figured. Will have to make a library run later this week.

Look up your local historical society and talk to somebody there. Also, some town's historical societys have published history books of the town which you can find at the library. I'm a blessed man in that my neighbor is a senior member of my town's historical society. He's a plethora of information.

Sometimes you'll see dates on sewer covers or on rocks/memorials at the park which will help date it. You can try the internet or the town websites, sometimes they give you a history.

I use historicaerials.com and cross reference it with zillow.com.Zillow will tell you the exact age of the houses adjacent to the park, be sure and check all four sides of the park as houses sometimes are built in different years a block
or two away.

Back
Top Bottom