Waterproof "River Rat" COMPADRE BUILD.

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
Its no secret the Tesoro compadre holds many secrets to metal detecting success. If you hunt long enough, and buy enough "top of the line" EXPENSIVE gear, you will eventually end up with a compadre. I prefer the RARE 7" coil model on recommendation of digger27. He is an amazing detectorist, and takes a ruthlessly thorough approach to finding GOLD. I really look up to his ethic and grit as a detectorist, but his analytical skills are among the best.

I hunt a lot of rivers and streams, as well as fresh water beaches and deep "blue hole" swimming areas. I snorkel and crawl the rocks in iron infested waters, and dive the blue holes up to about 12ft deep. That's a tricky one! Anyway, below is listed what I always wanted in a water machine.....

-Sensitivity surpassing all else
-The ability to work in THICK iron
-Lightweight machine that is easily broken down to "dive" length
-Small coil... NOT SNIPER, but not standard. The 7" is perfect
-Razor sharp discrimination.
-Bulletproof and waterproof.
-Very small and lightweight

The compadre offers extreame sensitivity to even the smalles gold chains and broken links. It works in thick iron like its not even there. It is lightweigh as is, but my mods make it the lightest. The 7" coil gives you almost as much ground coverage as the standard, but has even sharper discrimination than the 5"! The electronics are bulletproof, and can easily be added on to.
So heres what I did. I took a waterproof compadre and....

1. Disasembled EVERYTHING. Throw it all away except computer board and coil.

2. Added an on/off waterproof switch.

3. Constructed a carbon fiber straight shaft, with perfect length, but the ability to be turned into a dive shaft.

4. Custome fit computer into a top of the line waterproof container, adding an external waterproof on/off switch so that the waterproof shell is ONLY OPENED at home in dry/clean conditions.

5. Treated the electronics internally with a moisture barrier (hyper phobic) so that the they can be completely submerged for hours and it wont hur them whatsoever. This product is a complex industrial version of rustoleums "never wet"

6. Upgraded the piezo speaker so that it can easily be heard outside the container, and even diving in deep water.

7. added a small digital hygrometer that sounds an alarm and flashes lights if the moisture content changes WHATSOEVER inside the waterproof housing. it will even pick up a change in the atmospheric moisture when the case is opened.

8. For now I'm using a lithium Ion 9v to run the machine, which keeps everything at peak for about 15 hours running HARD.... but I will be building a micro NiCad battery pack to double the operating time.

9.The waterproof housing is mounted under the arm to keep perfect balance. It is mounted with a strap so that there were only TWO HOLES drilled in the housing. One hole for the cable wire, and one for the waterproof switch. Every precaution has been taken, and the tolerances are amazing. If this machine leaks I'll eat the darned thing!

10. Treated the coil with a layer of nylon laminated and "welded" to the bottom, then sprayed with industrial two part truck bed liner.

It has been pressure tested in my vacuumed/pressure pot to well over 100 feet of water depth. The case will withstand my truck tire running over it no problems!
This compadre just left with a friend of mine on his way to big pine key for several weeks of diving, but all the components will be arriving this week for another build. I have everything stripped down and will be taking photos of the whole process.
I am also listing all the materials used, and adding photos of them. A huge thanks to OBN for his input, digger27 for showing me how great of a machine the compadre really is, machineman for taking the bull by the horns and doing his version first, and goes4ever for helping me make up my mind to do the build. When I saw him pick up a $150 machine to hunt fields with over a etrac or ctx,,.... that's when I decided it was really as good as everyone said! I will update this thread as materials arrive and the process starts.
I may add a sensitivity, volume, and pinpoint later, but just want to get out there for now!.
For now here's the materials I can remember.
I named it the river rat because growing up I spent most of my time on the water with my father. He would pick me up from school in his boat, and we would go to the river and fish. We would bowfish all night, then eat breakfast at the gas station the next morning. Then hit up the dam until dark for some rockfish or hybrids. We did this all the time and he called us "river rats". So I can keep dad with me while im detecting. He would like that

Last edited:
Parts list

1. Compadre 7" ebay find $145
These are really hard to find. I keep a good lookout for them and snatch up every one I see. I don't keep them, just try to put them in the hands of someone who will appreciate what they are.

2.Carbon fiber tube 22x19x1000mm $48
Sealed and coated with UV/water proof epoxy coating. Carbon dust can make a detector do crazy things. So these are sealed inside and out. Will take 50 years of wear!

3. Otter box pursuit 20 drybox $16.50
Took a lot of money, time, and research to finally find this box. I purchased and tested 8 different boxes and brands. Everything from Plano, pelican, to fuerter. The otter box cases came out on top SURPRISINGLY! With Plano guide series a CLOSE second. They will withstand an amazing amount of pressure inside my testing tank. Finally made on implode and the reading was off the meter. STUPID rugged cases.

4.waterproof toggle switch-$18
THANKS OBN! Its waterproof on its own.

5.Waterproof toggle switch boot-$3
Why not add extra protection just in case.

6.cam free shaft lock-$11.50
With a cam lock system I always have a problem with mud and silt clogging up and wearing my shafts, but this wont be an issue now!

7.Watertight cable grip-$2
The coil wire feeds through this into the housing. A lot cheaper than cable clams, and works better in my opinion.

8.Handlebar end aluminum-$6.50
Was going to go with carbon, but figured after installing the grip tape and foam it wont matter. Using waterproof tennis racquet grip wrapping.

9.Nine volt lithium rechargeable battery-$8
This can be recharged up to 100 times even though it doesn't state that.

Attachments

• compadre1.jpg
    compadre1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,029
  • compadre2.jpg
    compadre2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,982
  • compadre3.jpg
    compadre3.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,953
  • compadre4.jpg
    compadre4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,968
  • compadre5.jpg
    compadre5.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,972
  • compadre6.jpg
    compadre6.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,969
  • compadre7.jpg
    compadre7.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,960
  • compadre8.jpg
    compadre8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,001
  • compadre9.jpg
    compadre9.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,980
  • compadre10.jpg
    compadre10.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,966
Please keep posting about this new machine

I have a feeling that this may become a popular mod. How much better is the 7" over the 5" if you did this mod for a dusty rather than a wet environment?

The environment here is full of all sorts of metal - except the few that we all want, but the dust is powder fine and never ending.

HH and congrats on the Compalibur.
John Morton

9.Nine volt lithium rechargeable battery-$8
This can be recharged up to 100 times even though it doesn't state that.

Yes??:?: but it can cause burns if recharged. That's what it states, as it's a non rechargeable.

Why don't you use a rechargeable battery?

Keep us posted, i love the idea of an inexpensive water machine backup, but i would need something with gb as it would be in a slat water environment... I always love these threads...

Yes??:?: but it can cause burns if recharged. That's what it states, as it's a non rechargeable.

Why don't you use a rechargeable battery?

Of course that's what a battery company says so you won't recharge them. :laughing:I've been recharging them since they were released. I've got over 100 charges on one in particular with no "burn" but I have a smart charger that cuts it off when it's full

Correct me if I missed something- The discrim switch is not externally accessible, do you just set it above iron and leave it?

Nice writeup and photos!

Yes the discrimination switch is only adjustable internally. I set mine just above iron and leave it. That's where 90% of all water hunters use their discrimination, and honestly I just think it is the best move. I can easily use a pot lock so that it could be accessed Externally, but that's just another point of weakness. If I had to add external knobs, I would just suck it up and buy the $30 each waterproof pots. That way you could adjust sensitivity, volume, and discrimination externally. (If I added those functions )
I would then mount the computer electronics in a separate water casing inside the original casing.

BTW, Tesoro will tell you flat out not to use anything but standard 9v alkaline in their Compadres. Apparently it is sensitive like that. All other models by Tesoro it is fine to use 9v rechargeables.

I'm very excited for this and of course I have subbed. I want to do this to my 8".

BTW, Tesoro will tell you flat out not to use anything but standard 9v alkaline in their Compadres. Apparently it is sensitive like that. All other models by Tesoro it is fine to use 9v rechargeables.

I'm very excited for this and of course I have subbed. I want to do this to my 8".

Thanks for the info. I have heard that, but I did a little modding so that it won't be an issue. I used copper shielding to keep the interference to a minimum, and a few well placed bleed caps will take care of any unwanted overpowering. So basically I can run it off a car battery and it won't hurt it. That way I can finish the battery pack build and I will have a compadre running off nuclear power. LOL seriously though... it would last hundreds of hours. An entire detecting year easy.

You're a pretty smart guy to do all that to your compadre. You said you started with a waterproof compadre. What do you mean? I have a compadre and it's certainly not waterproof. Did they used to make a waterproof one? I'd love to see pictures of your completed project. Are you a rocket scientist during the day? Who the heck would think to do all of this stuff to a compadre?

Thanks for the info. I have heard that, but I did a little modding so that it won't be an issue. I used copper shielding to keep the interference to a minimum, and a few well placed bleed caps will take care of any unwanted overpowering. So basically I can run it off a car battery and it won't hurt it. That way I can finish the battery pack build and I will have a compadre running off nuclear power. LOL seriously though... it would last hundreds of hours. An entire detecting year easy.

Great, man. I'm always excited to see where waterproof compadres go. I'm going do do this to my 8" for sure. Let's see those pics, brother! :)

Once the carbon fiber Is delivered the pics will flow like a river! lol
There isn't much I can do until then. Should be here in a few days.

When I mentioned another waterproof compadre, I meant I waterproofed it myself.

Looks like the carbon fiber and other random parts came in today. I will take some photos of all the components and keep you posted

OK, you've had time to take pics now. We want our update LOL.
I'm pacing back and forth for updates on this one for some reason. Hope to hear back from ya soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom