Wet salt beach. NEED ADVISE on detector & settings

beest

Elite Member
Soon i'm gonna get me a great oppertunity for hunting interesting beach.
But i need to hunt wet salt beach.

Got me 2 detectors. No PI so got to hunt with one of those.
Which one do you think i should use best?

Both got good working ground balance.
Hunted with both on wet salt beach, and both gave falsings. Less when sensativity way down.
I don't know what to do best with discrimination.
One is 7khz.
One is 17 khz

Which do you think perfoms best. 7 or 17khz?
And what should you do with sensativity and discriminationsettings?
And can you give me some other tips? PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE
(for use detector, no need for "good hunting corners")

Please advise me!

You are working with single freq machines they just arent going to be that affective in the wet salt sand since salt is a high conductor. They both will hunt the dry sand. 5 to 7 kHz is a general freq for many detectors thats because it allows them to run smooth and is a good balance for depth and sensitivity to most metals. 17 kHz on the other hand is designed to be a little more sensitive to low conductors like gold. Knowing the freq however doesnt give us the needed info..... because it depends on the machine and how it was designed based on factory setting and those it allows you to adjust. Some machines with these freq are just better machines.

If you are beach hunting disc out iron and learn not to dig shallow bottle caps everything else is fair game. Gold ranges from foil to a copper penny tones. So quite a range. There are a lot of small womens rings..... many sound like foil so at least kick to sand to see.

Other links.... http://www.mdhtalk.org/tutorials/beaches/metal-detecting-beaches.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/

There is also a sticky on beach tips.

Dew

many thanks dewcon.
you've helped me quite a bit further. every step forward is one more to my goal.

the info on the disc setting is clear. what do you think about the sensability? (turning it down?)

i've also read about the swings. that the turningpoints and ground hits will give falsings etc.
so my goal is too hunt between that falsings.

for sure i'm going to look for the sticky. i've mist it untill now (normaly i land hunt ancient relics).

Those falses are from lifting you coil at the end of your swing. If you have your sensitivity set right you shouldnt get falsing from coil contact. good coil control and slowing down is the only way to prevent some of it. Lowering sensitivity will dramatically decrease your depth. However, if you catch a good target line high enough on the wet sand you might do ok. Lot will also depend on how rich your sand is with minerals besides salt if you will be able to tame any of the falsing. Personally, id stick to knowing where the towel lines are. There will be more of a consolidation of people at towel lines near the entrances. Hopefully some of the others have used your machines and give you info.

Dew

Great dewcon!!! you helped me a lot! :good: :thankyou:

(although exacter or other tips for settings by anyone are still welcome)

Personally, id stick to knowing where the towel lines are.

Towel lines i've hunted before, and are no problem for both of my detectors.

The fact is that i must hunt the wet sand. Where i go hunting are known spots where very old coins wash on the wet salt beach :D

I know when I used the Fisher F2 and tried the wet sand, I could disc out iron, and lower the sensitivity to 1 less than max and it worked without falsing. However, the biggest advantage to the multifrequency machines is they get like double the depth of the single frequency machine on wet sand.

Try increasing your disc to knock out iron and foil.

Or trade both your detectors for a multi-frequency machine... if you really want to find the goodies. :D

Thanks Crumble for your help.
I know. Could buy me a PI too. Even better :D

But then again, i have my (good working) detectors, and hunting (wet salty) beach ain't my daily activity so not worthy buying a special detector for that.
Got me a fisher to, but other type, other family. It did salt beach with lesser falsings when disc down to about 3-4.
So i have too find a way with the ones i have.
A bit depth loss isn't that big a problem, as long as i can hunt ... and find some ;)

Short.....
Discriminate at least iron.
Sensability a bit lower (or more lower?).
Sweep quitely.
Don't wobble the disc but keep it straight with the ground.
Correct??? More ..... ????

And still don't know wether to use the 17khz analog, or the 7khz digital.

Well, the 17khz machine will be more sensitive to gold, but your best bet is to bring both to the beach one day, and bury a U.S. nickel, and a few different weight lead sinkers, or even better a few gold rings if you have them, and test the depths you can get with each machine.

Thanks again Crumble.

Two minor remarks...

I'm going to hunt for old stuff, year 0 to 900.
Roman, bronze up to hopefully gold.
And early medieval, most chanche for 1-1½ gram / 0.3-0.7 inch silver coins (sceatta's).

And second .... i live in Europe ;) . Got to find me a U.S. nickel first :laughing:
Got me a dime, 2 indianheads (found detecting), a 196? cent, but as far as i can remember no nickel :D

Taking 2 detectors with me is no option.
As far as i can decide now i will take the 17khz and see what happens.

A lot of those really old hammered coins are pretty tiny, 17khz machine would be the one to go with. The saltwater is the problem, I know my Tejon (17.5khz) and V3i in 22khz mode both go batsh*t crazy near the wet sand... heck even in the dry sand it's tough to keep them stable and quiet...

Walked the beach before with my 17khz c-scope.
Dry sand no problem at all, wet sand much better with sensability down (although still some -recognizable- falsings).

I think i have to deal with falsings anyway. I'm looking for the best middle, less falsings but still good depth.

Normaly i sweep quite fast. I think that advice of yours (sweep quitly) will be my next win.
I'll try further with the advices. If you want i will post my experiences, hopefully with some nice finds ;)

Lower freq like 3 khz gets you better depth, but at the expense of EMI.... high freq less depth but better sensitivity to low conductors. Id turn down the sensitivity and use the C-scope. Once i find a target then adjust it again. I can stand chatter as long as i can still recognize a repeatable target from a false signal.

Dew

With the history your country has, i'd still work me a PI into my line of detectors eventually. Not good for areas thick in iron. But invision what is a little deeper. Me, i'm looking for more modern stuff. My ancesters left the Netherlands for America not soon after they built the first boat dock.:lol: You got some great area to be hunting:yes: Good luck!

It's gonna be ok.

Dewcon.
That's the way i'm thinking now too.

Tisaring.
I'm not that much hunting beach that a PI isn't profitable at all now for me. Perhaps in the future, perhaps if i find me a pot full of sceatta's :D Now i've got to profite the oppertunity off some ancient beach history.

Yeah, i'm very glad to live in between this kind of history. Love to detect, usualy inland. But than again, older than 1600 is quite easy to find overhere, before 1400 is getting harder, but still it is hard work (investigating).
Still many hunters do not manage to find it. And experienced hunters right in the middle of ancient (yr 0-1500) grounds also don't find it each hunt.
I think it's to compare with finding your Civil War stuff (or older than that).

Thank you all for your responses.

Went hunting several times, and it worked great with all your advices.
Found some things, also on serieus and surprising depths :D , but sadly none roman or early medieval.
Will keep hunting overthere in the far future. Once the effort will pay of :D

Back
Top Bottom