Stavr vs Gold scoop/sunspot

sparkfly88

I hear a lot about both scoops..
Has anyone ever owned BOTH, and liked a certain one?

I'd like to hear pros and cons between them.

I know I want an angled handle, the modded one I built was straight up off the handle and I hated it.

I'm torn between scoops..... :banghead:

Sent from Tapatalk while mobile.

I think they are all good scoops any any would suit you well.

Here is mine:

Stavr 2.2 W/ 70 Degree
Fiberglass handle with wood plugs from classified section
Marine epoxy to hold plugs in @ amazon
magnet in scoop and top of handle @ ebay
Clear heat shrink @ ebay.

I only get to the beach 1-2 weeks a year so my tools don't get much use but when they do I need them to perform!! I also have 2 smaller dry scoops that tag along, but I am hoping that this will replace them.. I want to make a hip holder for this as well. Not sure if I need it but would rather have it just in case!!

Attachments

• P1050386.jpg
    P1050386.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • P1050387.jpg
    P1050387.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,023
73, that is a very nice scoop, might get one next year.I dont do much beach hunting but want to start in 2013.

I have a StavR Monstik 10. Used it about a month or so and had a Stealth before that. The StavR scoops are lighter for the size and super stiff and strong. You want a scoop to last a lifetime get the StavR. The Stealth twisted due to the footpad being a bit higher and was heavier. Sets you a bit off balance but others say different. JMO. I do use a fiberglass handle. If you order StavR then get the 32MM pipe at 70 degrees. Takes 2 weeks so order early. :laughing:

I want beefy because siesta sand is thick!

It's interesting that the stavr is stronger than the stealth... The stealth looks like it's over built, yet the stavr looks weak.

Weight doesn't bother me, since I'm a spry young guy. :-)
I go out rucking with a 70 something pound alice pack and load bearing gear, for FUN. Lol.

It's interesting that the stavr is stronger than the stealth... The stealth looks like it's over built, yet the stavr looks weak.

I go out rucking with a 70 something pound alice pack and load bearing gear, for FUN. Lol.

if weight isn't an issue get one of these...

http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

built like a tank.

If you hunt in the water all the time get the Stealth. The extra weight actually helps out. The StavR is stronger and stiffer due to the design. Rock solid. You can take a Stealth and step on it across the width and it will flex a bit but still strong. I have not used the "new" Stealth 720 angled. It still looks the same to me though with a high foot pad. Good in deep water. Heavy on wet sand.

I used a standard 8 inch stealth all summer long with a 5 foot fiberglass handle and I have nothing but praise for the thing, it is as tough a tool as I have ever used.

It shows almost no wear at all. It's also very instinctive for me, I don't have to see it to get what I'm after.

That said I would love to try a Stavr someday too.

july21-5rs.jpg

Chuck @ Sunspot, not only is the scoop superior, it is the best warranty out there and they stand by it,,,,I am "A 6 day a week Gorilla", and the 720 can handle the amount of hunting I do and can handle that thick sand @ siesta,,,,:laughing:I have not owned but sampled about every scoop known to man, and will tell you that the 720 gets it done,,,,it is a little heavy, but the weight works for you when you are digging chin deep water

I used a standard 8 inch stealth all summer long with a 5 foot fiberglass handle and I have nothing but praise for the thing, it is as tough a tool as I have ever used.

It shows almost no wear at all. It's also very instinctive for me, I don't have to see it to get what I'm after.

View attachment 187516
Irons, that is the scoop I had, same one. See the footpad and where it is located? It is high up the back of the scoop and is an additional part adding weight. The handle U bolts and thick aluminum U bolt bracket adds weight. My scoop with handle weighs a pound less than yours without handle. A lot of parts that add weight. The best place for the footpad is as low as possible. It put me off balance on wet sand and twisted some times. The StavR back is the footpad. It is very low and you do not bend your knee much to plant the scoop. In fact I rest my heel on the sand and push with the ball of my foot. Talk about easy. The difference is dramatic. Wish you could try mine for an hour. :yes: The scoop Craig showed is a nice one. I would buy that before a Stealth. See how low the foot pad is on that one too? That is the secret of a good scoop.

Last edited:
Hey sparkfly, I have two of the nuttall. They work okay but the best scoop out is the new 720 from sunspot. It's very strong not to heavy and can really move some real estate. The 720 is the scoop for serious digging.

I have a StavR Monstik 10. Used it about a month or so and had a Stealth before that. The StavR scoops are lighter for the size and super stiff and strong. You want a scoop to last a lifetime get the StavR. The Stealth twisted due to the footpad being a bit higher and was heavier. Sets you a bit off balance but others say different. JMO. I do use a fiberglass handle. If you order StavR then get the 32MM pipe at 70 degrees. Takes 2 weeks so order early. :laughing:

I have the same one but that is the first and only one I have. I used a friends one time but it was a beast of a aluminum one built by a guy from Ohio on ebay.

As far as comparison i can't say, i've only used my stavr v2.22 and it's a fine scoop that has help up well to lots of digging through rough shell and rocks...

Irons, that is the scoop I had, same one. See the footpad and where it is located? It is high up the back of the scoop and is an additional part adding weight. The handle U bolts and thick aluminum U bolt bracket adds weight. My scoop with handle weighs a pound less than yours without handle. A lot of parts that add weight. The best place for the footpad is as low as possible. It put me off balance on wet sand and twisted some times. The StavR back is the footpad. It is very low and you do not bend your knee much to plant the scoop. In fact I rest my heel on the sand and push with the ball of my foot. Talk about easy. The difference is dramatic. Wish you could try mine for an hour. :yes: The scoop Craig showed is a nice one. I would buy that before a Stealth. See how low the foot pad is on that one too? That is the secret of a good scoop.

Ima, when ya come down in a week or two Ill let ya try out the 720 and Ill try out your stavr. the 720 foot pad is the back of the scoop. I think you will like it now:yes::yes: Ill bring my digital fish scale and we will compair the weight. Sound like a plan? see ya soon.....cliffy.

So the 720 does in fact have a following I see...

Hmmm...

View attachment 187516
Nice sand there!!:yes::yes::yes:

Haven't tried a Sunspot but here's one more vote for the Stavr. Abuse mine and it's still in great shape. Light, strong, and well-priced.

Back
Top Bottom