Protecting the Garrett Pro pointer

I have found that so far, when it starts acting up like this, all I have to do is turn it off and back on again and it works correctly. So far that has worked... mine is just under 1 month old.

That is what I do and I works great. Also do that when when in high trashy areas and helps find what I'm after.

Chris W.

you must use a condom on your propointer
1st you don't want any new born defective baby garrets do you?
nor do want to pay pin pointer saport i sure don't:laughing:;):lol:

KT agrees with several of the comments above...the Garrett PP was not made as a digging tool. It is an electronic device and my be set off by any metal it is near....perhaps some of the falsing problems are due to the operator having used it to dig with, without realizing it...electronics are sensitive, no matter how well they are packaged. KT has some falsing problems at times with His G PP, and if the turning off and them back on does not fix it, then KT puts in a new battery and that seems to take care of it for awhile. Perhaps there is a voltage threshold that must be met that precludes the falsing, but as the battery gets below that threshold then falsing becomes more prominent.

KT did tape over the speaker hole, not to prevent dirt but because it was so loud that early in the morning hunts were upsetting nearby dogs who then were putting up a commotion. KT got tired of that!

His Majesty has possessed a G PP for the past 3 years and never had a serious problem with his, even tho some may consider the falsing a major problem, KT does not, especially when just a quick off/on cycle takes care of it. Have not been on really muddy hunts, but would seriouscly consider a heavy duty ziplock bag if such conditions were encountered. KT does not hunt in the rain, despite His AT Pro being totally waterproof. KT does not like water trickling down His Royal Back and down the Royal Crack in His Arse! :laughing::laughing:

First a little history. I have tried almost all of the pin pointers out there. In my opinion the best for the buck is the Garrett Pro Pointer. There is only one thing wrong with it. Mine and many of yours continue to break or act erratic. I take care of my equipment. I clean it. I don't throw it around, and I never leave it exposed to heat or cold. But this is my third Garrett Pro pointer. The only thing I can think of is that water is getting inside the unit. They go off when I push on them. They continue to beep when I turn it on. So here is my new trial. My Pro pointer inside a 26" bike tube with waterproof silicone tape at each end. The on/off button is real easy to feel and activate. The vibration is still very strong. This thing will clean in seconds. The tape I got at Home Depot. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if I have extended the life of my Pro Pointer.

Great idea! I used a seal-a-meal, double bagged, and with a hard plastic front on it. It was kind of a pita to put together, and didn't give the kind of feel that a ProPointer Trojan protector will give. Thanks!

garrett pro pointer

Would be nice if they made a water proof one for using in creek hunts and i wonder if clear flex seal would work better than the gobs of silicone some use on them to water proof the unit...

Would be nice if they made a water proof one for using in creek hunts and i wonder if clear flex seal would work better than the gobs of silicone some use on them to water proof the unit...

I use mine in the water all the time. All I did to modify it was to add some DOW 111 silicone to the rear battery seal and then I covered the speaker and button area with liquid rubber. No problems and I've been using for over a year this way. I've even tried using it while diving and while I did not find it to be very useful, it did work.

I just got a garrett pp and this thread got me thinking. These forums are usually populated by folks who are really heavily active in the hobby, taking several more hunts than what the most likely average user would. The average user probably gets years out out of these things, trouble free, because they average in the single digits of hunts per year.

The fact that the hard core folks on these forums can get a couple years is actually pretty encouraging.

I as well am on my second PP. My first still actually works but I don't trust it the way I once did. I've replaced the on/off switch twice now. Mounted a standard push button switch to the outside. Like I said, dam thing still works but it's covered with electrical tape with the switch taped to its side.
My second (6 months old) works perfectly. Despite the fact that I'm one of the aforementioned guys that put in a solid 10 - 20 hours a week on it. I am very careful with it though. The only mod I've done is to put a little dab of dielectric grease on the battery contacts and a waterproof sports band aid over the speaker holes. Got tired of picking mud out of those little slots with a toothpick. I can still hear it, no problem, and it keeps it clean and dry.

C'mon! What was your first reaction when you finished this? Lol I admire your drive, but its just not my style.

Back
Top Bottom