This years permission form...critique please.

RFWoodVT

Hi all,

This is a first draft of my permission form. It will be printed out on half-sheets letter size. Will also probably make it a 2-part NCR so the property owner/agent will have a copy.

Would appreciate any insights y'all may have.

PDF Permission Form

I’m afraid any formal form would turn people off. If somebody handed me that to read I’d hand it right back and say “no thank you”. Guarantee most don’t want to read it, too long.

I owned and operated a business providing a service in people’s homes for over 40 years. Only twice did someone ask for my liability insurance. Most are bothered by paperwork. If you sound friendly and can sell yourself your in. Paperwork takes the friendliness out of it and will turn people off. Make friends not partnerships.

I owned and operated a business providing a service in people’s homes for over 40 years. Only twice did someone ask for my liability insurance. Most are bothered by paperwork. If you sound friendly and can sell yourself your in. Paperwork takes the friendliness out of it and will turn people off. Make friends not partnerships.

I know exactly what you're saying. I've run a tree business for years and stopped doing contracts a long time ago. That said, some "clients" will want something on paper.

And sometimes I'll need something on paper, especially for commercial sites or those places with absentee owners that the cops just love to surveil. :nono:

This would be just one more tool in the box.

Take out the word dig and digging. Replace that with cut a plug. Digging makes people think of destroying their yard.

Point very well taken., Edits being made. Here's the new version of that section:

Recovery & Extraction

It is understood that recovery & extraction of detected items may require the cutting of small plugs, generally 4 to 8 inches in diameter. All recovery & extraction shall be performed according to generally accepted detecting standards. Any plugs cut will be replaced and returned as nearly as possible to original condition.​

From a hobbiest perspective I understand what you're trying to accomplish and I admire the above board attempt.

From a homeowner / landowner perspective there's no way I would sign such a form unless I was asking for you to find something for me.

Just my humble opinion.

-Joe

And sometimes I'll need something on paper, especially for commercial sites or those places with absentee owners that the cops just love to surveil.

If the owner has given me verbal permission to detect when they might not be present, then I ask for their email and tell them I'll follow up later that day with an email briefly summarizing what we discussed (including some of the same things in your form) and all they need to do is send a short reply acknowledging the permission just in case anybody questions my presence if they aren't around. A "that sounds good" reply is more than enough to prove you aren't trespassing. I print out the email and keep it in a folder in my vehicle.

The problem I see with the form is that it leads to a "one size fits all" way of thinking. Every permission has been a bit different.

On the second line you have an extra "to".

....That said, some "clients" will want something on paper.....

RFWoodVT, I run a business too. And yes, we sometimes need to exchange some sort of bid agreement, etc... But there's a bit of a difference between THAT type of business relationship, and metal detecting.

Here's the difference: When you enter into a mutual agreement with your customer, they have sought out your service. But when you've knocked on someone's door, it's a hobby , not a business. And they're not seeking you out, you're seeking them out.

I would ONLY use a contract (like the one you have here) ONLY if the landowner brings it up and requests it. Otherwise, by putting a contract in front of a total stranger to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a "no".

RFWoodVT, I run a business too. And yes, we sometimes need to exchange some sort of bid agreement, etc... But there's a bit of a difference between THAT type of business relationship, and metal detecting.

Here's the difference: When you enter into a mutual agreement with your customer, they have sought out your service. But when you've knocked on someone's door, it's a hobby , not a business. And they're not seeking you out, you're seeking them out.

I would ONLY use a contract (like the one you have here) ONLY if the landowner brings it up and requests it. Otherwise, by putting a contract in front of a total stranger to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a "no".

Yup, what Tom said. Maybe keep a few copies in your vehicle, just in case the landowner demands an agreement in writing, otherwise I wouldn’t lead with this.

Jim

Not feeling a legal contract.

What benefit of the land owner to sign,, versus simply telling you no. If you come on my property and ask me to engage in a contract with a stranger who just knocked on my door? I'll pass. If you try to convince me it's for my protection, I'd suggest I can protect my self more effectively by asking you to leave, without signing anything

If you feel its key to use a contract, I would try with and without and see where you have better results from.

No offense to anyone, but we dig in dirt., let's not make this out to be more of a big deal to the owner.

Your taking a simple request and complicating it with a form. If you think either of you need a contract then neither of you should be there. KISS

My business cards say "License and Insurance Information Available Upon Request". If anyone asks I'll tell them I have neither.

The only reason I can see to need more than a smile and a nod for permission is if you're being hired to find something or it's corporate property, like grandpa's farm now owned by a dozen cousins.

Just my two cents:

I've never used a permission form. I just approach the owner in a friendly manner and tell them who I am, why I'm there, and what I want to do. I agree with those who have said that people don't want to read it and it may make them think that there is something of great value on their property. I have had people think that.

The only exception is some ongoing volunteer work I'm doing for a local, historical home that is a museum and they asked me to sign a hold harmless form, not a problem there.

I'd be interested to hear what your expereince is with these form though RFWoodVT

I think the form is a great way to decrease your number of permissions.:roll:

Hi all,

This is a first draft of my permission form. It will be printed out on half-sheets letter size. Will also probably make it a 2-part NCR so the property owner/agent will have a copy.

Would appreciate any insights y'all may have.

PDF Permission Form

Sorry, but this whole idea is faulty. The form seems to serve the purpose of securing your permission more than guaranteeing your responsibility. Why do you even need permission in writing? Verbal permission is all you need. If they change their mind, and want you to leave, are you going to argue that they signed your form, and you plan to stay? No way is this a good idea!
As far as keeping a form handy, to produce upon the owner's request, they may want to see your promise to release them of any liability, and maybe to not leave any damages. Don't ask them to sign anything. Please! This is not how this works.

Back
Top Bottom