Can anyone help ID this stamp?

HillsOutlaws

Found this stamp last fall in S.E. MN and have been unable to ID what it might have been used for. The stamp says "A.D. 1924, at 2 o'clock in the after"

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 351
It very well could be from a printing press, the size of font is approximately half the size of 12 font print which is typically what we type in. It’s just kind of curious why the font would be so small?..

That's a linotype slug! Was used in a printing press.

I've found a number of them in an early 1900s dump site. My favourite read "Made in the time of the depression" I also have a few with individual's names on them.

These were custom made for books, or print ads, or letterheads or whatever and could be re-melted and the lead reused when the print run was finished.

I guess that one is small because of what it was used for. Hard to tell what exactly, maybe a pamphlet or small book?

I took vocational printing in high school. We had a linotype machine but we never got to use it because they were training an older man to work in a printing shop. I once found some printing blocks in a dump of a cartoon that used to run in our local newspaper. I gave them to my boys and I don't know what ever happened to them.

I took vocational printing in high school. We had a linotype machine but we never got to use it because they were training an older man to work in a printing shop. I once found some printing blocks in a dump of a cartoon that used to run in our local newspaper. I gave them to my boys and I don't know what ever happened to them.

That’s pretty awesome to find printing blocks from a cartoon considering how few where probably made!

I used to run a Linotype back in the Dark Ages. If something went wrong it would squirt molten lead out the front... Then you had the fun of melting the squirted lead off with a propane torch. Your slug might be one line of an obituary.

I used to run a Linotype back in the Dark Ages. If something went wrong it would squirt molten lead out the front... Then you had the fun of melting the squirted lead off with a propane torch. Your slug might be one line of an obituary.

I hadn’t considered that it might be part of an obituary, it does seem pretty likely.

Making a guss that the last word would be 'afternoon', you can get a few search hits from newspaper archives around the world. All seem to be from official notifications and like. So if some official business was always made at same time it would make sense to have this kind of block ready..just add the date.

Voriax

Making a guss that the last word would be 'afternoon', you can get a few search hits from newspaper archives around the world. All seem to be from official notifications and like. So if some official business was always made at same time it would make sense to have this kind of block ready..just add the date.

Voriax

I wondered if it could be a stamp from when mail left the post office?

Back
Top Bottom