• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

pinpointing target underwater

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I had my first real water hunt today...a freshwater lake near me.

It was a bust...found a couple of shotgun shells, a few nails...and a whopping penny.

I had a few other targets, but I wasn't able to retrieve them because I wasn't able to actually pinpoint their location.

Any tips and tricks, other than keep on trying?

Find it with your coil, then put a foot at the back of the coil, find your foot with scoop and place in front of foot, move foot and stomp... It does get easier as you go..

<°)))>{

Find it with your coil, then put a foot at the back of the coil, find your foot with scoop and place in front of foot, move foot and stomp... It does get easier as you go..

<°)))>{

That makes sense...I generally use the "wiggle" method to pinpoint with my AT Pro....but pulling towards me....if I use the back of the coil to pinpoint, that would work....

Thanks

My guess is that you had some more nails,
when you cant scoop the target even if you have a strong signal try moving 90 degrees to it and pinpoint again and try scooping, instead of going deeper with each scoop try widening the hole. nails and wire seem to pinpoint off the ends of them. you are not alone having probs pinpointing nails. I am assuming that you got the penny and shells with no prob.
Luck Jim

I don't understand "wasnt able to pinpoint them". If you can pinpoint a target on land, you can pinpoint a target under water.

Now, underwater recovery takes practice and patience especially if your lakes are like those in Oklahoma and you cant see 2 inches under the surface.

First, pinpoint the target the same way you do on land. Then, holding the coil in place, slide your foot up to the edge of it with your toes pointing to where the center of the coil will be (takes some practice). Next, move the coil away and place the tip of your scoop against your toes then use that foot to push the scoop into the bottom. Coil size and target depth all play roles in what angle to hold the scoop when you push it in. Learning to feel the right angle when you cant see the bottom takes more practice.

There is also the posibility it was so small it was slipping through the holes in your scoop. I try not to waste much time on those targets but I am confident in my pinpointing ability. A magnet zip tied in the scoop helps get small iron but splitshot sinkers will still do this.

Do the drysand PP thing with your eyes closed, master that and things will be easier in the water.

There is also the posibility it was so small it was slipping through the holes in your scoop. I try not to waste much time on those targets but I am confident in my pinpointing ability. A magnet zip tied in the scoop helps get small iron but splitshot sinkers will still do this.

On those targets, I take a big scoop and quickly dump it on my boogie board before it can fall out.. Earring backs can be tough to catch and bird shot too..

<°)))>{

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try these all out on dry land with my eyes closed before heading into the water again...it was frustrating :)

This is my first year of water detecting even though I have land detected off and on since I was 18 (I am now 64). I have gained a lot of respect for guys that do this on a regular basis and it has been a learning experience. I am getting better with the scoop but I haven't perfected it yet either. Just keep practicing and experimenting with the methods suggested and you will find the best method for you.

On several occasions searching the debris field around large holes, left by someone who gave up on their target, has produced keepers for me!!

I never move on without checking around my digging carefully as there sometimes will be a few coins etc. in one hole!

A small gold chain came up with a nickel one time and I luckily grabbed it before it dropped from my scoop back into the water!

GL&HH,

CJ

Back
Top Bottom