My first day with the Impact (Pics added)

Canuck

Well I finally received my impact yesterday and I sure was happy for the wait to be over. The anticipation was killing me.To bad kellyco forgot to ship my wireless headphones. I have an email in so I'm hoping to hear from them soon. The detector was very easy to assemble and I was impressed with the quality of the build. The only thing I didn't like we're the headphones that came with it. It wasn't the bungee style cord that I'm used to on my gold bug pro and I'm finding the cord getting in the way. I nearly cut it off with my lesche a couple of times today. I took it out to one the older parks in town that I've hunted before with hopes of trying to learn how to run the new machine. The gold bug pro was a very simple machine compared to the impact. I fired up the machine and ran in DI4 mode with the gain between 80-90. Anymore than that and she started to chatter. I quickly realized that I might have chosen the wrong location to try and learn how to run the impact because the park is trashy and I have never run a multi tone unit before. I was struggling to say the least. I started digging a ton of targets just to try and figure out what the machine was trying to tell me and after 45 minutes I started feeling a little more comfortable. I was fairly surprised at how deep some of these targets were and it gave me a little hope that I might be able to find some older coins. My oldest coin to date is a 1948 nickel.I started cherry picking coin signals and a few pieces of clad started rolling in. Again this gave me a little more confidence in being able to hear the coin signals amongst the trash. I was making my way to an old baseball diamond in the corner of the park when I got a got fairly good signal reading 7 inches down. It was only reading in one direction but you could hear a nice tone. When I turned 90 degrees it sounded like iron. I cut a big plug and pin pointed a target in the plug and a target in the hole. My first thought was coin spill but! the target in the plug was a bent nail. The target in the hole was 1929 penny. My oldest coin to date. I was excited to say the least even if it was only a penny. Im glad I was able to hear it even though the tone was small. I put the coin in the pouch and kept on making my way toward the ball diamonds. I hunted for 25 minutes before I got my next good coin signal and this one is reading 9 inches down. It's not a very loud signal but I can get a good tone in 2 directions. I cut a big plug and and still had to dig a ton of dirt out of the hole before my pin pointer finally guided me to the target. My deep hole digging skills need some serious work. I stuck my hand in the hole and pulled out the coin. It was the size of a quarter and I knew it wasn't silver but I wasn't sure what it was. So I rubbed some of the dirt off till I could make out the date and boom 1916 appeared before my eyes. I knew that I had my oldest coin in my hands and my first large cent. I see you guys dig these coins all the time and I can finally say I've dug one myself. I was super pumped and I just admired it for a couple of minutes before putting it in the pouch. I hunted for another hour with nothing but a little clad, a junk ring, a cool looking horse pin which was 7 inches deep, and more trash before finally calling it a day and headed home. So far Im pretty happy with the impact but I feel like I have lot to learn. I will post some pics tomorrow when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up, I have been looking at the Impact with great interest.

I like it so far but I need to get some hours on it. Unfortunately work and Mother Nature are getting in the way. We had a blizzard blow through today.:(

Nice digs!!! I love hunting with multi tones, being able to hear the iron and know right off what it is gives you a real advantage. Sounds like it has some good depth...now you need a tiny coil to really weed through those trashy sites.

Very good report.

Your reading the Impact thread is already paying off.

Your attitude is noteworthy.

I expect to see some more good finds posted by you,,,more reports too.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice digs!!! I love hunting with multi tones, being able to hear the iron and know right off what it is gives you a real advantage. Sounds like it has some good depth...now you need a tiny coil to really weed through those trashy sites.

I bought the pro pack so it came with both coils. I plan on using the small coil next time out.

Very good report.

Your reading the Impact thread is already paying off.

Your attitude is noteworthy.

I expect to see some more good finds posted by you,,,more reports too.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks shooter. I sure hope it's a sign of good things to come. I know that there's some silver hiding in this park that others have missed. It's one of the older parks in the city. I have more confidence now that I have found a handful of coins at depth and the right years for silver.

thanks for the report. Nice to know the impact has a multitone mode. Thats how I hunt with my MXT on coins.

Great finds

Well I finally received my impact yesterday and I sure was happy for the wait to be over. The anticipation was killing me.To bad kellyco forgot to ship my wireless headphones. I have an email in so I'm hoping to hear from them soon. The detector was very easy to assemble and I was impressed with the quality of the build. The only thing I didn't like we're the headphones that came with it. It wasn't the bungee style cord that I'm used to on my gold bug pro and I'm finding the cord getting in the way. I nearly cut it off with my lesche a couple of times today. I took it out to one the older parks in town that I've hunted before with hopes of trying to learn how to run the new machine. The gold bug pro was a very simple machine compared to the impact. I fired up the machine and ran in DI4 mode with the gain between 80-90. Anymore than that and she started to chatter. I quickly realized that I might have chosen the wrong location to try and learn how to run the impact because the park is trashy and I have never run a multi tone unit before. I was struggling to say the least. I started digging a ton of targets just to try and figure out what the machine was trying to tell me and after 45 minutes I started feeling a little more comfortable. I was fairly surprised at how deep some of these targets were and it gave me a little hope that I might be able to find some older coins. My oldest coin to date is a 1948 nickel.I started cherry picking coin signals and a few pieces of clad started rolling in. Again this gave me a little more confidence in being able to hear the coin signals amongst the trash. I was making my way to an old baseball diamond in the corner of the park when I got a got fairly good signal reading 7 inches down. It was only reading in one direction but you could hear a nice tone. When I turned 90 degrees it sounded like iron. I cut a big plug and pin pointed a target in the plug and a target in the hole. My first thought was coin spill but! the target in the plug was a bent nail. The target in the hole was 1929 penny. My oldest coin to date. I was excited to say the least even if it was only a penny. Im glad I was able to hear it even though the tone was small. I put the coin in the pouch and kept on making my way toward the ball diamonds. I hunted for 25 minutes before I got my next good coin signal and this one is reading 9 inches down. It's not a very loud signal but I can get a good tone in 2 directions. I cut a big plug and and still had to dig a ton of dirt out of the hole before my pin pointer finally guided me to the target. My deep hole digging skills need some serious work. I stuck my hand in the hole and pulled out the coin. It was the size of a quarter and I knew it wasn't silver but I wasn't sure what it was. So I rubbed some of the dirt off till I could make out the date and boom 1916 appeared before my eyes. I knew that I had my oldest coin in my hands and my first large cent. I see you guys dig these coins all the time and I can finally say I've dug one myself. I was super pumped and I just admired it for a couple of minutes before putting it in the pouch. I hunted for another hour with nothing but a little clad, a junk ring, a cool looking horse pin which was 7 inches deep, and more trash before finally calling it a day and headed home. So far Im pretty happy with the impact but I feel like I have lot to learn. I will post some pics tomorrow when I get a chance.

Great job
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

thanks for the report. Nice to know the impact has a multitone mode. Thats how I hunt with my MXT on coins.

It took me a while to get used to the multitones but towards the end of my hunt I was much more comfortable with them.

Back
Top Bottom