• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hanging up my detector, and picking up my camera

This is one I took last week.
It's a not very good picture of Jupiter and two of it's moons. I'm not sure if
it's upside down or not.
It was my first attempt at using a DSLR attached to the telescope. I hope to do better.

A Robin giving me a bit of a sideways look :)

Neat picture !!!!

This is one I took last week.
It's a not very good picture of Jupiter and two of it's moons. I'm not sure if
it's upside down or not.
It was my first attempt at using a DSLR attached to the telescope. I hope to do better.

Considering how far away Jupiter is that is not really bad, especially making out the bands !

Thanks Gary. I had to use a Barlow extension to connect to the scope, I need to try an eyepiece adapter.

Friday was practice and arrivals day for the weekend's airshow at Duxford.

This is the French Air Force Rafale, going through it's paces.

You do an awesome job with your camera Alan great pics I purchased the the d3400 you suggested for my wife and she has really been enjoying it best part is she spends alot more time outdoors with my dog Dakota and me thanks Tony

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Wow, that is some amazing shots of that jet Alan, fantastic detail overall and neat to catch the effect on the wing edges !

I used to work on the old F4 Phantom jets while in the Navy back in the early 1970's which were great jets, but the jets today are amazing in comparison.

Thanks Gary. The Phantom was an amazing aircraft, even though you could
see it coming from miles away, due to the smoke trail it left. I believe it's only
the Greeks who have any left in service ?
I was lucky enough to see both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, when they
flew the Phantom.

Thanks Gary. The Phantom was an amazing aircraft, even though you could
see it coming from miles away, due to the smoke trail it left. I believe it's only
the Greeks who have any left in service ?
I was lucky enough to see both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, when they
flew the Phantom.

The F4 was a real workhorse that could hold up very well.

Your question got me to do a search online and I found this quote -

"Many are still used as front line air fighters in the military forces of seven countries."

but it didn't say which 7 countries.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/f-4-phantom-double-ugly.html

We had a visit for a refuelling stop at Southend Airport today from a Dutch owned Catalina, or as the US called it, a PBY.
It was here to commemorate the "Battle of the Medway", when Dutch
warships sailed up the Thames in 1667, and attacked the British ships.
It is said to be the oldest Catalina still flying and credited to sinking three U-Boats.

Not great pictures, but the best I could do under the circumstances.

Hey, those pictures are fine Alan !

Thanks for sharing those, I'm not an airplane expert by any means, but I do enjoy seeing pictures of unusual looking airplanes, and that one is definitely unique ! :shock: :lol:

There are a number of wildlife areas close to where we live. One I go to is at Hanningfield reservoir in Essex. There are usually a number of Cormorants there, but mostly just sitting way out on a pontoon. I went there at the weekend, and for once they were flying around.

Thanks Gary. This is one I took yesterday (2nd Sept). I went to this
nature reserve to get my first ever photo of a Kingfisher. While we were
waiting a flock of Buzzards appeared. Not quite pin sharp, but it was hand
held, at some distance away.

I did manage my Kingfisher photos. The first time I've seen one, let alone
take a photograph.
This was only about 20ft away. I was quite pleased with this, it made the long trip worthwhile.

Hey, that photo was pretty good for being hand held, it's not always easy to keep from moving a camera slightly when pressing the shutter button so that's really a good shot for hand held.

That Kingfisher is neat, almost looks like it was posing for a photo ! :lol:

I don't take photos as much as I'd like as usually when I'm out and about it is running errands and shopping, but I still try to remember to watch for any interesting photo possibilities even when I'm out running errands.

It has been either too hot/humid or raining in recent months to detect as much as I would have liked so I started an additional side hobby, "green screen" photography, like what the TV weather people use and also used in some movies. You can do "green screen" for either still photos or video.

The "green screen" material was inexpensive and I found some very good (and free) open source software that has green screen editing capability. It's called OBS Studio - https://obsproject.com/

This is mostly just a fun thing to do, though it could be possible to occasionally find someone who would pay to have a green screen done, like a newlywed couple wanting to look like they were in front of the Eiffel Tower for example.

The thing is Gary, when you start buying lots of really expensive camera
gear, you really need to make it pay for itself.
I'm not sure if I could ever have been a professional photographer. I imagine it can be quite stressful.

Back
Top Bottom