Church of the Compadre...

One of the best discriminator circuits out there.
Works all the way down to iron this way, too.
There have been a few that hunted some sites to death like farm fields with some top end detectors and when there were absolutely no more good signals left they came back with the Compadre and just by knocking out iron they found more.

Another superpower it has is it can find targets near, next to or even leaning on big metal better than you might believe if you listen for the double or triple beep.

A pretty remarkable machine that can do all this and more and still cost less than many coils.

A few comments after using the Compadre today:
(1) Texas weather- I was almost blown over after leaving while the sun was shining! Thought I was REALLY in a tornado!
(2) Plastic Walmart bags make great detector covers!:D
(3) How am I missing those coins with other detectors? I can see if they were small dimes- but quarters? C'mon!:?::
(4) Pencil erasers should be banned! After all, should we encourage students to make mistakes?:mad:
(5) A thin screwdriver/retriever makes an excellent ID tool as well. You can actually hear/feel the tinny scraping sound of aluminum, tin, and the point will puncture and stick in cans.:cool: Coins, keys, etc. feel solid.
(6) I would like to confront the guy who said the Compadre has no depth so he can explain these 5" pulltab finds!:mad:
(7) A Walmart plastic bag also makes a great trash apron!:lol:

Church of the Compadre...Reply to Thread by Tahoegold

OK, so I have been hunting with disc just about at the R in IRON and iron is kinda broken as a sound so I can find gold stuff. But, I also have another detector with VDI and am able to use it to detect gold and coins and it's really accurate on the numbers. With the other detector I used the tone break as my sound descriminator with the disc all the way off. I was in a place with so much metal trash that I just figured with the other detector I would hunt this site for coins at first and then go for gold once I found all the coins. Then I got the idea that I could maybe set up the Compadre to do the same thing. I set the disc at just a hair below the zinc penny setting to make those hit clean and went to the same places. Man, coin after coin came out of the ground. I couldn't believe it. The Compadre was silent until it hit on something. And, I dug no junk, none. I had to stop because I ran out of time. I walked away with a fist full of coins! What happened? My other unit must have been fooled by some kind of masking? Well, then I set the disc for just a hair below foil where a nickle seemed to really hit well. A few hits and thumbing of the knob to be sure it was a nickle and bam, 3 nickles in a row. My praise to the great Compadre and it's super powers sang out with a Wooo Hooo! It was sooo fun to keep hitting all those coins and never once dig trash. Amazing, I would seem to hit bottle caps repeatedly with the other detector I have. I even waived the Compadre over a cap just to be sure something wasn't wrong. Nope, no sound, then over a penny, beeeep. OK, from now on, why waste time with anything else when going to the trash places looking for coins and silver? Sure, someone may say, well, you're missing the GOLD! I probably am, however, sometimes I just want to find stuff like coins or silver. Man, silver can NOT be discriminated out and that is fantastic. Hunt for silver stuff all day without picking up any trash. That's cool. So, now I understand even more about it's super powers. I never will sell it. It's too good to let go!!

Hi Tahoegold ! :tiphat:

Good post ! :thumbsup:

In reference to your above comment I colored blue and the attached picture of the Compadre face plate I copied from one of Digger27's previous post's, are you saying you set the Disc dial indicator mark between the and the ZN ?

Thanks,

ToddB64

Attachments

• Compadre Discriminator Points, Digger27's Post no..jpg
    Compadre Discriminator Points, Digger27's Post no..jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 499
Hi Tahoegold ! :tiphat:

Good post ! :thumbsup:

In reference to your above comment I colored blue and the attached picture of the Compadre face plate I copied from one of Digger27's previous post's, are you saying you set the Disc dial indicator mark between the and the ZN ?

Thanks,

ToddB64

I believe he's talking around the number "5" on your diagram, letting zincs (and IHPs) through and above. This is where I cherry pick with the Compadre, especially in heavy iron. You can thumb the knob up a little and further separate em out if needed. If you go in between, you're gonna be right on the edge (machine dependent) of dropping the zincs and Injuns. I've had several small sterling rings knocking around in the zinc range too. GL&HH!

Church of the Compadre... Reply to Thread

I believe he's talking around the number "5" on your diagram, letting zincs (and IHPs) through and above. This is where I cherry pick with the Compadre, especially in heavy iron. You can thumb the knob up a little and further separate em out if needed. If you go in between, you're gonna be right on the edge (machine dependent) of dropping the zincs and Injuns. I've had several small sterling rings knocking around in the zinc range too. GL&HH!

Oldsjunkie,

Thanks much for your input ! Since I don't want to miss gold jewelry of any size or karate value (my most sought-after targets :ewink:), I hunt with my Compadre set in All Metal at the start of a hunt and then thumb the dial into the Iron range and sometimes up to the "F" in Foil if trash is extremely bad and/or I'm getting tired and patients is running out. :waiting:

HH :wave:

ToddB64

Tahoegold...

Just want to say there are all kinds of ways to find treasure with this this thing and it seems you have hit on a good one.
Just to remind you there are still others and I have talked about this before but this is the way I do it because setting that thing at one area and digging all that beeps still drives me crazy so for new users this bears repeating.
Whatever way is best for you is the right way, this is just my way.
This way, and I use this on the Mojave now too, is how I prefer to do it because I think I have a little better chance of hitting not only coins but other quality stuff which is usually my goal.
I call this the high percentage method and I sure can miss stuff doing it this way but since I started doing it like this I believe I have found more jewelry than doing it my old way when I dug a ton more.

I usually hunt low with the disc at all metal or not much higher than the I in iron and I don't set the disc on one place nor do I hunt low and thumb the disc up to the fade out point but instead I go past that point until silence then thumb back down and listen closely.
Most targets that "come in" noisy...pops, crackles and whatever else before the signal solidifies and sounds clear and true I usually avoid, those that just appear, come in solid and clear without much noise I dig every time no matter where they come in.
I hunt in some very trashy sites and don't have much patience to dig a ton of trash anymore but I love finding precious metals so I just evolved into this style over time.
As I said I could miss things and I still dig some signals that might come in a bit noisy, (especially around the nickel area), if they sound pretty good and the sound triggers my digging instinct but most of the time I just stick to the solid stuff.
I can't tell you how well this has worked for me over the years but here are two examples.

This is a site that was new to me, a small park with a basketball court and one picnic pavilion.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=132026

I dug a bunch of trash that day because I always do hunting around those courts which are usually one of the trashiest kind of sites you can hunt on land but they are also one of the highest percentage sites for finding jewelry, also.
A pic of the trash I dug is in this thread but 98% of that trash was from around that court.
I found a bunch of coins and a few other things but no silver or gold and eventually I got tired near the end of this hunt and moved over to the picnic pavilion just as a change of scenery and was going to finish up there.
This was full of an insane amount of trash here too, foil, pop tops, tabs and other junk and I switched to this high percentage method to avoid most of that.
I dug a few trash items that came in solid, there are always some kinds of trash that do, but for the most part I passed on most signals until I hit this one.
Just as I described, it came in loud and clear and solid as I turned down the disc knob to the L in foil...no noise from that way or when I turned and hit it from 90 degrees either.
It wasn't foil or a small piece of can slaw but something much better...2.3 grams of 10k.

photostudio_1520019187415.jpg

A couple years later I was deep into the F70 but decided to pull out the Compadre and hunt another extremely trashy area near another picnic pavilion in a different park to look for silver.
Another member took a long time deciding which detector to buy as his first and after several weeks and a million times changing his mind plus about a billion questions he finally settled on a Compadre.
To commemorate this I decided to mark this occasion with a special hunt and on this one the main goal was silver in any form I could find it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=201661

I have had my jaw drop on several outings with my Compadre but this one I will always remember.
In an area I had scoured in the past I was hunting again using this high percentage method and I got a classic zincoln signal...solid as all heck thumbing down and the disc knob ended up pointing dead on at the 3:00 position.
There was also trash surrounding it close on 3 sides but even though I was using a 7" coil by moving that coil slowly this thing hit hard like a silver coin...a big silver coin.
I thought for sure a lowly zincoln but nope, wrong again...and I mean wrong in a good way.
To this day this is the smallest, thinnest, lightest silver ring I have ever found and here it is sitting on a dime which is actually thicker.
Point three grams of 925...I still remember and smile when I think about what happened that day.

photostudio_1520020585397.jpg

There are so many legends about this one and so many almost unbelievable experiences many have had but if you swing one long enough you come to find out they are all true.

Compadre Gold Tones

Hi Everybody ! :tiphat:

While reading Digger27's post at the following link http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=132026, my curiosity was aroused by his comment that I colored blue in the copied & pasted paragraph below and attached picture of the 10K ring he found.

When using the Compadre and dialing the knob back down, have you found that the tone on dug gold jewelry came in with a loud high foil signal on low 10K , but was softer and more mellow on higher karate 12K, 14K and 18K ?

Then, when I wasn't even expecting it, (I never do), I got a high foil signal and it was loud.
Right on the L in foil is where it came in as I dialed the knob down.
I knew it was something like small can slaw and shallow, or a larger piece of foil, or something else.
This time, it was something else,
Not huge, but it was clean and shiny and I knew it was gold.
2.3 grams of 10k yellow goodness.

Thanks for replies ! :thankyou:

ToddB64

Attachments

• 10K ring P1030592.jpg
    10K ring P1030592.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 418
That signal was really loud because it was very shallow, 1-2" deep at the most.
I have found other gold rings with both a Compadre and a Vaq, both 10 and 14k, and all of them sounded stable and clear.
As far as sounding different all of them were 5" or less in depth, more like 3-4" at the most, the volume of the tone was not much different from this one or at least I could not remember much difference like I can on the softer signal like a target fairly deep can be.

If I am understanding you right I think you are asking if there is a difference in tone between different karat gold items.

I have read posts where some Tesoro owners stated they knew they were swinging over some smaller gold because if the sound of the tone but as far as myself I never could...I just dug signals that were solid from several directions and just came in with no noise using that dialing up and then down of the disc knob method and a few times they happened to be gold.
Except once and one time only, that is, and I have talked about this before.
I had found a large 10k class ring with my Compadre and I can't remember suspecting anything different or strange on that one at all, it disced out at 3:00 like most zincolns do and was just one of those normal solid signal to me.
I thought I bent over to dig a zincoln, when a big gold ring popped up instead I was shocked.
I did not think anything of it at the time as far as the tone either, it was just a great target I dug when I got lucky.
About 2 months later I was hunting in another park with the Vaq and evidently I had learned something subconsciously that stuck when I heard the sound of that Compadre class ring because I got another one of those 3:00 solid zincoln signals but on this one the sound shocked me and rocked me because I never heard anything like it before or could remember ever hearing anything like it, anyway.
This sound was unique, clear, sustaining, a bit longer than normal...just way different.
I knew I was swinging over gold 100%, the only time that has happened in my career and I have dug about 3 dozen gold targets with not only those two detectors but also with an F2 and an F70 also including 3 other large 10k class rings.
I am convinced I actually heard that particular sound once before with the Compadre but that time I just didn't realize what it was because I had never heard it before then...but my ears and brain heard it and somehow filed it away for future reference.
Two months later that Vaq tone triggered that subconscious memory and came roaring back with a vengeance.

In these cases it wasn't the karats that triggered that unique, rare and special tone but I believe it was the massive size of these rings that did it.
I had found 10k and 14k rings before and after with both Tesoros but they were all smaller than those class rings and I have never heard that special tone over any of them.

There is a possibility that some sort of higher karat gold item could trigger that special tone also even if they weighed less than the class rings, perhaps 18k if not 22 or 24k.
Maybe a decently large gold coin might do it too since they are so pure.
I would love to give you a definitive answer about them all but honestly I can't...I have never tested or found any of those things with a Tesoro so far.
Maybe one day I will, I sure hope to anyway.
That sound is my holy grail now and I long to hear it just one more time before I retire from this hobby so with luck maybe someday I will.
Until that time I just go hunting with a Tesoro here and there and hope for the best.

So to answer your question again on all smaller gold items I have found 10-14k to me didn't have any special sound at all, they just behaved like all good targets do for me and were within my digging rules so they got dug.
The one really big one, however, was different as was the one I found a few months before that even though I didn't realize it at the time...probably.
Luckily all gold I have ever found always acted solid and presented themselves as good diggable targets so far.
I hope that continues to be true for me in the future.

Here are those two rings.
Both were over 10 grams in weight, the second one was one size larger and slightly heavier at 14.2 grams and a bit deeper than the first one.
Funny thing is they were the exact same ring from the same high school but two different years.
Hopefully you will come across one like this with your Tesoro one day and hear that special sound yourself.

Attachments

• P1020775.jpg
    P1020775.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Compadre Gold Tones

Hi DIGGER27 !

Thanks much for your well-explained reply. :thumbsup:

My take from what you said is that the variation in tone characteristics, i.e. loud, sharp, or low and mellow, for gold jewelry of the karate's you have found was more due to the depth and/or size of the targets rather than the karate.

Yesterday, I went for my first hunt this year to a park with my Compadre. The weather has been cold and/or constant off & on rain in my area, but finally got a nice sunny day in the 60's !

Walking about 20 feet off the edge of the asphalt parking lot to the inside corner of a soccer field I made my first scan with the 5.75" coil and the dial indicator set at the "I" in Iron. Immediately, I got a strong solid and fairly sharp signal in several directions....a good coin indication....humm, but it could be an aluminum freshness seal, roundish piece of can slaw, or a "who-knows-what" :roll: !

Next, starting with the coil flat on the ground over the target I did the "slow scan and simultaneous raising of the coil" method to estimate target depth, i.e. average 6" coil signal depth over clean ground minus eyeballed distance from earth to bottom of coil scanned over target until the signal fades out and this indicated the target was approx. 2" deep. The soil was perfectly damp from previous days of rain, so digging would be easy. Also, my belief is that T&R signals travel better in moist soil, so hunting conditions were as good as it gets!

I reached for my Garrett "carrot" pin pointer and having it set in tone mode got a fast-repeating beep when the probe tip was right over the target. I marked the spot with a golf tee and laid down a plastic towel.

Using my Lesche digger I cut three sides of a 3" trap-door 3" deep, slid the blade under the clod, levered it up and over to reveal the hole. Checking the bottom and sides of the hole with my pin pointer there was no signal, so the target had to be in the trap door and this was confirmed with the pin pointer.

My usual process is to first check under and around the sides of the trap door to locate the exact position of the target within the clod and then use the tip of the Lesche blade to very gently remove dirt, periodically using the pin pointer to recheck how close I'm getting to the target, until I see a portion of the target and then pull it out with my fingers. Well, it was a Jefferson Nickel ! On my next scan in that same area I found a penny just a few feet away and that was just in the first few minutes of the hunt....a great beginning !

Over the two hours of my hunt I found a Washington quarter, a Roosevelt Dime, four post '82 Cents, a sheet-metal hex-headed screw, several pieces of can slaw and some gum wrappers. Then it was time to go.

Good Luck on your next hunt DIGGER27 !

ToddB64

Last edited:
Another 2-hour hunt with Compadre and 50¢ Richer !

Hi again ! :tiphat:

The weather was nice again today, so went back to the same park as before with the Mighty "C" and worked the same soccer field for two hours recovering a total of 50¢, one Quarter, two Dimes and five Cents (one cent a pre-82 copper.), a pull tab and some trash that went into the park garbage can.

That was two hours of fun in the sun and fresh air, but with Diabetes and Parkinson's the hot sun drains my energy, plus my wife is waiting in the car for me with our pooch, so two hours is our agreed-upon time limit.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, it's really not safe for me to drive a car with Parkinson's according to my doctor, so wifey does all the driving nowadays.

In cool weather, I could hunt for 4-5 hours easily, but again, she's waiting to go home. To be honest, if I'm having a really good day when it's cool, my energy is holding out and I'm recovering lots of coins, I do stretch the hunt another 15-20 minutes and my wonderful wife :waiting: puts up with me :roll:

ToddB64

Tesoro Compadre Coil Type and Windings.

Greetings ! :tiphat:

#1..Does the Compadre (5.75" coil model) have a concentric/coplanar coil ?

#2..Does the search coil include a TX, RX and a Bucking coil ?

#3..Can anyone provide a photo showing inside this coil and how the windings are arranged ?

Thanks,

ToddB64

I purchased a Compadre last fall. I do not like it at all. In my opinion they are virtually worthless. Different strokes for different folks and they do not fit my strokes.

I purchased a Compadre last fall. I do not like it at all. In my opinion they are virtually worthless. Different strokes for different folks and they do not fit my strokes.

I bought one too several months ago. It works but I really missed my Ace 250 since I loaned it out to a friend. I gave him the Compadre to use as long as he wants.:good:

Tesoro Compadre Coil Type and Windings.

Greetings ! :tiphat:

#1..Does the Compadre (5.75" coil model) have a concentric/coplanar coil ?

#2..Does the search coil include a TX, RX and a Bucking coil ?

#3..Can anyone provide a photo showing inside this coil and how the windings are arranged ?

Thanks,

ToddB64

Hey Guys !

I really appreciate the replies, but can someone respond to any of my questions?

Thanks,
ToddB64

Back
Top Bottom