Did someone say silver ? UPDATE

Soil Surgeon

Forum Supporter
One of my old sites , a School in a neighboring city built in in 1936 is in the process of having a large growth of Ivy plants removed . Over the years I've have found a small bit of silver , wheats ,clad , foreign coins, marbles etc.
Last Friday they started the tear out which consisted of the surface parts of the Ivy . The tops of the roots were still above ground and there were several
layers below ground . I had to use a pruning shear to cut thru several layers of buried roots . The digging was miserable as was the kneeling on the surface roots .The first evenings two hour hunt gave me two broken down Hot wheels , two Golf balls and a whole lot of junk . I used my Nox 600 with the stock coil .

The next days two hour hunt I used the 6" and got two memorial Pennies a pitted parking token and more cans and junk .

Yesterday I took a quick scouting drive there and lo and behold they had run a Bobcat thru there and removed the tops of the roots .

I went back later with both coils for a almost three hour hunt .It started out badly . My wireless MPOW headphones which had previously performed well decided they would keep shutting down . Luckily I had brought my stock headphones and they worked well .

I started hunting and was getting nothing but junk .Needless to say I was feeling disappointed .I had been expecting to find something glorious .

Things started looking up when the Memorials started showing up ( I ended up with 18+3/4 of those ) . I then got a clean high tone reaching 30 . This was the Silver Marines Sharpshooting badge . Great , at least I got something cool to show from this trip . I thought . After that the first of my 4 wheats showed up things are getting interesting

Another glorious high tone 30 and to my surprise a brilliant flash of silver
pops out of the " ah , cool a Quarter " . I nearly soiled my shorts when I saw
it was a magnificent 1928 SLQ . Finally an age appropriate find for this old school .I was overjoyed !
Then came the 1943 S War Nickel more sweetness !
Three clad Quarters and another junky Hot Wheel made into the pouch also

Next I came into a very unusual find , a few 25/26 high beeps in one small area . This required some serious digging and the use of my pruning shears to get thru the roots , apparently some young Pirate had buried
his treasure , 8 Aluminum Presidential Shell tokens which have over the years become pitted and crusty . Although not valuable a fun find for me .I have yet to identify the Presidents . I also haven't had a chance to get the dates off my wheats .

I also found two more golf balls bringing the total to 4 .

It was a great night and I'm hoping as I am printing this that the gardener is driving that Bobcat at least one more time , " I shall return" .

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !

Attachments

• IMG_1981 (1).jpg
    IMG_1981 (1).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1980 (2).jpg
    IMG_1980 (2).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_1961 (1).jpg
    IMG_1961 (1).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Dang nice hunting there Soil Surgeon! Love the shooting badge and SLQ! Little bottle and marbles are icing in the cake! Congrats :)

Wow SS thats some fine hunting there. Big ATTABOY on persistence, it payed off well. Congrats on the SLQ, war nickel and shooters badge. It looks to be an old one. The tokens spill is cool. My first token this year was John Adams token. I hope you have a few more successful return trips. Good luck, Mark

Good play-by-play. Thanx for bringing us along !

Thanks Tom , I've been waiting for quite awhile now for them to clear this patch out .

Dang nice hunting there Soil Surgeon! Love the shooting badge and SLQ! Little bottle and marbles are icing in the cake! Congrats :)

Thanks GS , it was a really nice to find so many different kinds of cool things there .

Wow SS thats some fine hunting there. Big ATTABOY on persistence, it payed off well. Congrats on the SLQ, war nickel and shooters badge. It looks to be an old one. The tokens spill is cool. My first token this year was John Adams token. I hope you have a few more successful return trips. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark , I'm going to have to check out the age of that shooters badge , I believe it's an older type also . I'm hoping to get a few more hunts there .That SLQ really gave me the feeling there are still some great oldies
waiting to be found there .

Very nice finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CW , hopefully there a few more there .

Congrats on the SLQ quarter and the war nick! You can tell those other finds have been in the ground a good while. Those war nickels aren't found everyday. That location looks like it may have merit for more treasures.

Congrats on the SLQ quarter and the war nick! You can tell those other finds have been in the ground a good while. Those war nickels aren't found everyday. That location looks like it may have merit for more treasures.

Thanks JAK ! In a couple of more hours my granddaughter and I are both going to be detecting it . I'm hoping that they again ran that Bobcat thru there and took out some more roots . I got a hunch that if they did we are going to be finding more surface marbles and golf balls . Hopefully we bag a silver or two .

We ( my granddaughter and I ) went back for 3 hrs . She swung the M6 like a Pro and found her first Silver a 1942 D (also the first coin of the night and only silver ).She had a great time and can't wait to again ( music to my ears) .
Unfortunately she has to go home today ,The 5 coins on the left are her finds .
Of all my finds the only ones worth mentioning were 6 Wheats .
I hope to get back there this evening and maybe pull out one more silver .

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 279
Awesome stories and finds! Its great you got your granddaughter out there with ya.I hope my daughter will come along with me on some hunts soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hey SS! Congrats on the slq! And the silver badge and war nickel.
I just found this thread today.👍

Thank you Sir ! Best of luck to you !

Awesome stories and finds! Its great you got your granddaughter out there with ya.I hope my daughter will come along with me on some hunts soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks Boz , She's the best partner I ever had ! I'm hoping your Daughter will too !
!

Congrats to you and your granddaughter SS. Tell her great job on the Merc. And good luck on your return. Mark

Thank you Mark ! I will be sure to congratulate her for you , that will surely
put a smile on her face ! :D :yes: I went back last night for a couple of hours
and was able to coax out 1 clad dime , 2 wheats , 12 copper memorials , two more of those aluminum Shell Presidential tokens and a large piece of lead that has to be over a pound . I eye balled another golf ball and two more marbles . Tonight I bring out the M6 with the Detech 6x8 coil ( this should be interesting ) .

Back
Top Bottom