Treasure in the woods?

ScaredOfClowns

Elite Member
Well, this is a first for me.

Today I went for a hunt in the woods of a local park I've been to many times before. At the edge of the woods near the road I found two small boxes buried fairly shallow under dirt and leaves. They looked like they've been there a while, and were literally falling apart.

Inside they were FULL of jewelry - two bracelets, seven necklaces, a couple earrings, three crucifixes a silver ring, and various pendants. Nothing except the silver (.925) ring looks to be marked (one piece is marked "ROMA"), so I'm guessing most of it isn't real(?).

I have to wonder how it got there? Maybe thrown from a passing car? Still trying to figure out exactly what I found, but it definitely got my heart racing.

1 - Box 1 Closed.jpg

2 - Box 1 Open.jpg

3 - Box 3 Open.jpg

4 - Cleaned.jpg

I have that same neclace piece on the left. I found lots of this jewelry too left by a homeless person I believe.
Yes its just junk.

Attachments

• 20181021_124638.jpg
    20181021_124638.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 598
I found something similar when I detected in PA. A park, bushes and a "spill" of jewelry at about 3"...necklaces and rings. Only 1 was. 925.

I was thinking it was some kids sorting through their theft items and tossed what they thought wasn't worth anything.

Wow, that's cool!
It reminds me or our hunts here at the hobo woods.
We find all kinds of stuff stashed in there...

Well, this is a first for me.

Today I went for a hunt in the woods of a local park I've been to many times before. At the edge of the woods near the road I found two small boxes buried fairly shallow under dirt and leaves. They looked like they've been there a while, and were literally falling apart.

Huh..whaaa.

Would this be the same park I went to today?
Someone did wave to me as they were leaving in a pickup. Was that you?

Hoping some of those jewels are good.

Last edited:
I bet this GUY put it in the ground to save a trophy from his victims. .. yikes. Now he's coming for you. Hahaha.
Nice find scared of clowns.

A buried treasure chest is what we all dream about. From the time we were kids and now metal detecting brings us as close to that dream as possible. YOU JUST ACTUALLY DID IT. CONGRATS.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 479
I bet this GUY put it in the ground to save a trophy from his victims. .. yikes. Now he's coming for you. Hahaha.
Nice find scared of clowns.

A buried treasure chest is what we all dream about. From the time we were kids and now metal detecting brings us as close to that dream as possible. YOU JUST ACTUALLY DID IT. CONGRATS.

LOL! (Halloween is a tough time for those of us who hate clowns!) Thanks, man!

My guess would be booty from a local burglary. I know of many stories of people who robbed a house of their jewelry and got cold feet that someone might identify the pieces so they took it out and hide it. Found 1 myself, know of several others.

My guess would be booty from a local burglary. I know of many stories of people who robbed a house of their jewelry and got cold feet that someone might identify the pieces so they took it out and hide it. Found 1 myself, know of several others.

+1 burglary hide.

WOW, nice finds. Its finds like this that make us all keep playing in the dirt !!

'X' marks the spot! Nice recovery!

I would agree with others as it being an old burglary stash.

Back in the 80s, I found a two sets of silverware wrapped in a plastic bag in the woods. The first set was silver plate, while the 2nd was sterling. It had been there for awhile since the plastic garbage bag was deteriorated, and most of the knife tips had the plate peeled back and were rusted.

Interesting digs, your got to wonder the who and why behind the scenes. Still digs most of us dream about. Congrats Scared on some unique recoveries. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom