Scored some silver today, but not MDing.

BostonMike

My grandfather is the person who got me interested in coins in general. I was 13 or so when he gave me an AU 1909 S wheatie. I never knew he was a colector and just figured he had an old penny.  I put it away and still have it as my favorite coin because it was first.

Anyway, i was over my grandmothers last night doing a little work around the house. My grandfather had since passed away but i was talking to my uncle about old antiques my grandparents had in their cellar and possible value.

So i asked "By the way, do you have any old coins?"

My grandmother says she does, disappears and comes back with a jar full to the lid of SILVER coins!

I was in heaven! I immediately started looking through them. There were peace dollars, walking liberty halves, silver quarters, silver roosies, merc dimes and a few silver war nickels!  There were even other old foriegn coins from the early 1900's and i remember a copper token from 1863 in there.

I got some paper and started going through them writing down years and mints to look up later. I know coins a bit, but don't know every key date off the top of my head. I think i filled a page up front and back with things to look up later on. I remember quite a few quarters from the early-mid 30's and about EVERY year merc dime minted. They were in very good condition with a lot of the silver roosies in AU condition.  Most of the walking liberty halves were early...1916-1920

Then i get home, leave the paper in my pants and it gets ruined in the wash :(

It's ok because i'll be back for thanksgiving and i'll go through them better. I'll get another sheet to look up later and i'll put some of the better coins in 2x2's.   I can remember there being quite a few 1916 mercs.  WHen i got home i found out that 16-D is a key date merc, and I think i remember seeing 1.  There were at least 6 or 7 1916's in the bunch, and i think one was a D. :)   

I got to take a few for myself.  Got an '28 merc, an '64 roosie and an '48 quarter  :)

Can't wait til thanksgiving so i can find out what is really in that jar!  My grandmother even mentioned that there was another jar somewhere with "no silver" coins like indian head cents, V-nickels and such! My uncle even remembers seeing quite a few Standing Liberty Quarters in his collection. We'll have to find those

Here's the 3 I took home with me

Attachments

• Dsc00013.jpg
    Dsc00013.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 235
Oh man! Like a kid in a candy store eh. Congrats on the silver you got, they really are in great shape.

I'm really itching to get back over there and see if one of those 1916 mercs was in fact a 16-D

It may be wishful thinking, but i remember stacking a few 1916 mercs and then having one off the side because it was a different mintmark....possibly a 16-D

I only realized what it might be when i got home and started looking through PCGS based off my memory.

It's gonna BUG me until i go back for thanksgiving :(

My grandmother tells me when we were kids she used to lets us take grandpa's jar of silver dollars out in the yard to play with. She says eventually we lost them all. It's been on my list of places to look for years.

Poppy said:
the 16 D if that is in fact what she has is a real good one as you know , in the right condition it commands high dollars

I wanna say that all the '16's were worn slightly. They were in about the same condition as the '28 i posted above, maybe even a few slightly more worn.

I'm going off memory though, i really need to get back go through them and take some pics

Back
Top Bottom