Fun find

Rollie

I found a little ring this morning. I was at the park and was working an area around some soccer fields. So I'm always trying to think about the best places to work, not just go out there swinging my detector, but to have a strategy. Places where people are going to congregate or pull things out of their pockets. Around the concession stands or dugouts at the ball fields. So right off the bat I found some coins, nothing special. A dozen bottle caps and some pop tops. Lots of foil. After a while I spotted a building that housed some restrooms, so I thought I would go over there. I mean, I couldn't think of any reason that people would lose things going to the restroom, but I wasn't having much luck anyway. So I was walking across this open area between the soccer fields and the restrooms, just swinging my detector back and forth while I walked, and I got a signal that was a little different. I stopped, found it again, it was reading out like a dime, so I dug it up and it was this little ring. Not worth much of anything, but it is a mystery to me how much stuff I find just out in the middle of nowhere, especially rings. So, it was a fun morning and I get to look at it and wonder how the heck it got there. RIver Valley Park Ring.jpg

Mystery Finds

I too am amazed at what i have found out in the middle of no where. I found 2 silver rings out in the middle of a grass field in an abandoned air force base in Oscoda, MI. No structures near or ball fields. Amazing isn't it what you will find when you look for stuff.

neat little ring, does it have a silver base? You never know where some things pop up! That's what makes this hobby so much fun!

neat little ring, does it have a silver base? You never know where some things pop up! That's what makes this hobby so much fun!
I'm guessing that there is silver in it. It comes up as a dime and it really sends a strong signal. It was close to four inches down in wet dirt. But except for the edges it is covered with some ceramic looking material. My wife said that it is a size six. From the looks of it and the amount of cleaning I had to do, I think that it has been there for a long time.

Just by the pic, it looks to be enamel over sterling silver, a popular technique in the late Victorian era up to the 40's. The edge and the lines in the designs look silver, but that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom