quick question

Drakeopotomous

hello my name is Drake i just found a old looking metal detector in my grandpas attic and i was just wondering if it was worth anything or not. its a Bill Mahane's D-TEX Coinshooter I. it looks really old. i tried looking on google for anything about it but i couldnt find much or even a picture. its a gold color and the box is red. i stuck 2 9V batteries in it to see if it works, it cuts on and the needle moves as soon as i cut it on but cant get it to pick up any signals for anything. i recently found a silver dime at work so i stuck it in the ground a ways and tried to pick up the signal and nothing. im pretty sure the speaker is blown but then again there are a few knobs on it that i have no clue what they are for or where to set them lol. i will post a picture of it when i get home from work. im new to the MD hobby. i dont even have a detector yet lol im trying to get a garrets ace 250 we have lots of old places where i live that i want to check out. i tried panning for gold since we have alot of mines in my town but the creeks are over populated with panners and ive never seen anyone with a MD so i figured i would give it a try seems like a awesome hobby and im pretty sure im going to enjoy it... sorry for the wall of text lol

Don't know much about them but this might help you:

Contact D-Tex Technologies
Phone: (972) 487-6723
Business Profile for D-Tex Technologies
Services:
Metal Detecting Equipment

It may be fine I just dont know how to use it lol seems really simple because its older but its pretty confusing to me haha....im pretty sure its from the 60-70s though

I would like to know what you find out, Please keep us posted. rascal

It was probably made around 1980-1982. D-tex was started by a guy who had been associated with Garrett detectors. It seemed at the time there was talk of bad relations. A lot of the detectors he made were done in camo. I don't remember his name being Bill but it might have been. I have an ad in an 1983 magazine for a D-Tex Coinshooter but it is not in color.

ok so here are some pictures :D
1204082141.jpg

1204082142.jpg

1204082142a.jpg

1204082142b.jpg

1204082143a.jpg

1204082143b.jpg

That's a neat old machine - looks like it's built to withstand punishment. I don't think I could swing it very long without an elbow brace and strap - I've had problems with tendinitis. Someone should start a museum of old metal detectors.

Back
Top Bottom