Putting depth in perspective

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
For the vast majority of us, depth is without a doubt the most important ability of a detector. Undisputed, the most asked question by someone new to detecting is depth. But do we really understand how depth relates to our needs? Do we really understand how depth is perceived? Do we really understand how misleading depth can be?

As someone who lives in southwest Kansas, should I be swayed by the claims a detector can find a dime at 18" on the beach? On a beach I could see where this could be a nice feature to have, but I can't see me every digging an 18" hole in the places I hunt to recover a dime. In a plowed field, perhaps, but just because a detector can find a dime at that depth on the beach, doesn't mean it will perform the same in a field. Most likely not.

In most locations, such as private yards, I limit my recovery depth to about 7-8" and a few others about 10". In remote areas of our local park I may go 12", but no deeper. Last night I had to pass on 4 different targets that my Sovereign GT found that sounded good. I dug to 12" and still had a good signal in the hole but left them there. I'm sure they were good targets, but I value being able to detect our city park unrestricted and refuse to give that up for a few old coins.

Depth is also a relative thing, and this is where people can make misleading claims that influence the choices made by people new to detecting. They buy a detector based on these misleading claims and then blame the poster(s) for "false claims" about the detector. Again I say just because a detector will find silver at extreme depths doesn't mean it will also find gold at extreme depths. For example. My Sovereign GT is capable of some amazing depth on certain types of targets, but does very poorly on small gold.

And then there is that "bells & whistles" also labeled as "complicated" thing that I've never quite understood. Now I loved my old Garrett Freedom that I just turned on and started swinging, but I also realize that simplicity came at a cost. I have yet to use a detector that you can't just turn-on-and-go and still do a respectable job. I see people talk about spending all their time "fiddling with adjustment" and I can only say HUH? If there is a detector out there that needs no adjusting to achieve maximum depth in all conditions, I've yet to see it. So just what is maximum depth, and how important is it?

I can't speak for any one else, but I can honestly say at least 90% of what I recover is 6" or less. Just about any detector on the market, at any price range, can achieve 6" in the right conditions. It's when conditions aren't right that these bells & whistles come in handy. Maximum depth often changes from one location to another, and can even change drastically in little more than a few feet. A good example is a local park where we can dig coins as deep as 10" in one area, and in another area we are lucky to get 4" because of conditions. I dug a silver ring at 3 1/2" that was solid on my detector, while a buddies top of the line made no sound at all, and I made no adjustments what so ever. In this area 4" is an impressive depth.

So, with 90%+ of my recoveries being 6" or less, whats more important to me is the ability to pick out the good stuff from the junk, and the ability to detect those blasted small gold chains. The ability to pick out the good stuff from junk not only covers masking, but good accurate ID'ing. That brings us to having a visual display or not. Now I really see this as a very simple choice, at least for me. If having a visual ID is a crutch, then I say give me as many as possible. I want to know every bit of information on a target I can get before I decide it's worth digging a hole.

Personally, I've never been convinced that sound is any more accurate than a good visual display. Why I think some people feel sound is better is because they know to listen for that quick high pitch(with tone ID) among the other cracks and pops that can indicate a good target deep or masked. What many of those people don't realize is the same is true for a visual display for those who understand and use it properly. A quick high number between all that jumping can also indicate a deep or masked good target. And honestly I believe both the sound and visual ID'ing comes from the same source. That is to say the same information producing the sound produces the visual responses as well. You can learn to visually identify a deep or masked target just as accurately as using the sound. The same information is there, you just need to understand what it means. I find visual information easier to understand than sound.

Sorry this ended up so long, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people think about depth.

I would say 90% of what I dig is at 6" or less.

The idea that a detector could find a dime at 12" has zero appeal to me as I have no interest in digging that deep in most all of the spots I hunt.

I mostly use the Sov GT now and I do just about zero fiddling with the controls. I might tweak the thresh hold a bit or adjust the sensitivity up or down, but that's it.

I'm new to the Sovereign GT and noticed something last night I'm a bit curious about. While listening very close, trying to best understand what the GT was saying, I noticed quite often I'd hear a null then when the threshold tone would return it was very high. Now the way I understand it is the GT will keep a threshold of the last target until something causes it to change. I was curious if this might be an indicator of a very deep coin, but I didn't understand why it would null first unless it was detecting some iron along with the coin. I also thought it could be caused by the wraparound effect from iron as the detection field is just leaving a nulled target.

I will say I have never seen a detector with the depth ability of the GT. Now if they could couple that with a better discrimination system it would rock. Heck it puts my DFX and SE's depth to shame, but it doesn't have that great of discrimination abilities.

Last edited:
I'm new to the Sovereign GT and noticed something last night I'm a bit curious about. While listening very close, trying to best understand what the GT was saying, I noticed quite often I'd hear a null then when the threshold tone would return it was very high. Now the way I understand it is the GT will keep a threshold of the last target until something causes it to change. I was curious if this might be an indicator of a very deep coin, but I didn't understand why it would null first unless it was detecting some iron along with the coin. I also thought it could be caused by the wraparound effect from iron as the detection field is just leaving a nulled target.

Yes, I've noticed this too. More often I get a signal that ramps up to a high tone but then nulls. I think it means I'm swinging too quickly, as usually when I slow down over the same spot I get a clear null as if over an iron target. As for the detector nulling and then the threshold returns at a higher pitch, I have read that this is indicative of a deep coin but I have yet to experience this myself. I did dig a pretty deep silver quarter recently that really only hinted at a good tone and did null a bit.

For the most part I don't really know what you mean about the Sov and discimination. Do you mean that it does not predict targets well enough?

I wish that the Sov could be set to all metal but would still give variable signals. I'm not sure what the point of nulling over iron targets is instead of just giving a lower tone.

For the most part I don't really know what you mean about the Sov and discimination.

I've been experimenting with "silver mode." When I turn discrimination to 0 and notch to 0 I get so many signals I couldn't possibly dig them all. I know there are very very deep coins in this park so I figured I turn discrimination all the way up(silver mode) and dig only what gave a good signal. The problem is I noticed last night even with the discrimination all the way up the GT still gave a good signal on pull tabs..

On my DFX I basically turn discrimination off, by lowering the accepted range, and use only the VDI to determine what I want to dig. This also makes picking up coins normally masked by iron easy.

The depth of the Sovereign in all metal mode is nothing short of amazing in my opinion. To be quite honest,I didn't think any detector could get such depth. Unfortunately it' a double edged sword in trashy areas.

I've been experimenting with "silver mode." When I turn discrimination to 0 and notch to 0 I get so many signals I couldn't possibly dig them all. I know there are very very deep coins in this park so I figured I turn discrimination all the way up(silver mode) and dig only what gave a good signal. The problem is I noticed last night even with the discrimination all the way up the GT still gave a good signal on pull tabs..

I see what you mean now. I always hunt with disc and notch at 0.

This is likely the reason I avoid certain parks - too many signals. But even if you disc them out, you would still null over every target, right? I don't get how that really helps.

But even if you disc them out, you would still null over every target, right? I don't get how that really helps.

True, but there should be a few goodies that it would detect. The coins are so numerous at this depth that 50%, or better, of the time I'll pull more than one coin out of the same hole. I've pulled as many as 7 in the same hole at different depths. This is a 125 year old city park that has been flooded many times burying the older coins as deep as 2'. There are layers of coins to be recovered.

I do wish the Sovereign had a little bit better sensitivity, although with it's depth ability that could be a disaster. By sensitivity I mean being more sensitive to small gold targets. Another part of depth that can be confusing. My SE had the same problem. It had good depth, but was not very sensitive to small gold. I have a 14k gold necklace that I found with my DFX, only because of the clasp, but nothing I do with the SE or GT will pick it up. Not even in all metal.

Personally, I've never been convinced that sound is any more accurate than a good visual display. Why I think some people feel sound is better is because they know to listen for that quick high pitch(with tone ID) among the other cracks and pops that can indicate a good target deep or masked. What many of those people don't realize is the same is true for a visual display for those who understand and use it properly. A quick high number between all that jumping can also indicate a deep or masked good target. And honestly I believe both the sound and visual ID'ing comes from the same source. That is to say the same information producing the sound produces the visual responses as well. You can learn to visually identify a deep or masked target just as accurately as using the sound. The same information is there, you just need to understand what it means. I find visual information easier to understand than sound.
Nice post!

As to audio being or not being more accurate than the visual display, the only thing I'd say is that with the Explorer, the display won't change after IDing a target until the machine recovers, but the audio will, so in a multiple target area the audio is able to ID an item when the display has a harder time.

Last edited:
My first question is, What's "null"? I kind of agree with the philosophy of keeping the depth limited, with a clarification. I find a lot of good signals on our 1850'ish farm that go deep. I'll be down 9 inches in a hole that my DFX originally said 6 inches. It often indicates silver dollar range. Sometimes I keep going to find an aluminum pot lid at 12 -14 inches (WOOHOO!) We had a tornado go through 27 years ago. The results really mess with me! Other time I make a note and plan on going back later. I would not do this on someone elses property (keep digging till I find it), but for me it's worth it at home to satisfy my questioning attitude. Some things that keep me going in for the deep signals is that I've found some neat finds (at least for me, brass buttons, etc.) 9 - 12 inches down. Curt

I do have a meter on my GT but as with most meters, and audio, they become unreliable below 6". And since on the GT its an added device it is just added weight.

You're right ED, some of the Minelabs do hold the VDI while the audio can go back to threshold, but I believe when a target is detected both the audio and visual have the same source. I thinking it takes less power to cause a digital visual display to react than to power a manual speaker. This may be old school thinking, but it used to be thought, when comparing sound to the first old meters, that it takes less power to cause a meter to move than to push a speaker. It was argued that for this reason a visual indicator would indicate a very faint target before it would cause a audible sound. With modern electronic technology I highly doubt this is still the case. Just food for thought.

A null or nulling is when your detectors coil moves over something that is being discriminated out. That slight constant hum of the threshold will go quiet. That something can be a piece of iron or just he minerals in the ground.

There is always those exceptions to the rules when it comes to depth. Your location that was hit by a tornado or mine that has been flooded any times. In these areas the coins can be very deep, but by far the vast majority I dig are 6" or less. So at least for me, a detector that can detect a dime at 18" is far less appealing than a detector that can find the good stuff others have missed at shallow depths, and a more accurate discrimination.

Sensitivity, this is a term I have never been comfortable with when it comes to a detector. I have always viewed sensitivity as in being able to detect small targets, but that doesn't seem to be how it works. When you adjust the sensitivity of a detector it really does nothing toward making the detector more sensitive to smaller targets, but adjusts its sensitivity to the targets it can already detect. Most view it as more of a depth adjustment. Turning it up will make the detector pick up a quarter deeper, but will do nothing toward making it more sensitive to smaller targets.

When a detector coil passes over a target it will respond, in most cases, according to its discrimination settings. That is to say if the target it passes over is in the accepted range a positive response is the results, where a target that is rejected causes a negative/null response. I have used this null response to help find gold chains. In a tot lot or beach, for example, if I get a null I will dig it just as if it were a positive signal. Not all detectors will do this though. This is what I call sensitivity.

If you want to test your detectors sensitivity, which may surprise you, go to all metal mode and run a small gold chain over the coil. If you hear a change, positive or negative, then your detector is sensitive to small targets. Some of you might be surprised to find your detector makes no change in tone at all. We know current VLF technology has issues with seeing a gold chain only as a single link, but you might be surprised to find your detector isn't capable of seeing a single link.

What I find surprising is that my Sovereign GT, which is considered to be a very good beach detector, seems to be less sensitive to small gold than my DFX. The same was true with my SE. I have a small 14k gold chain found with my DFX that even in all metal mode makes no response, positive or negative, on my GT. My GT just simply keeps a steady threshold.

Last edited:
In the inner city parks I would need a pick axe to go below 8 inches.
99.9 percent of digs under 7 inches.

Not to mention the entire city was bombed flat during WW2 and the resulting debris is well...everywhere.

Like MDing over a garbage dump.

Here is a video I did last night to help show what I mean by sensitivity. Give the video time to load.

We know not all detectors do well with small gold targets, but this could really surprise you. I'm using a fairly large 14k gold earing you would think most detectors would pick up with no problems. As you can see, the Sovereign GT could not see this earing no matter what I tried, even all metal. The DFX picks it up clearly as a good target.

This is in no way meant to degrade the Sovereign GT because it is one heck of a detector. It's just meant to show even the really deep detectors can have problems with low conductive targets such as gold. If your detector can't pick it up in all metal, you don't stand much chance of finding it in motion/discrimination mode no matter how you adjust it.

http://www.detectorplace.com/detecting/dfxvsgt.mpg

It takes some time to load. You might try right clicking and Save Target As and save it to your PC. I'm at work or I'd put it on YouTube. Maybe when I get home I can do that.

Last edited:
I know my Explorer won't pick up small, broken rings, but it will larger broken rings if they're an inch from the coil or so--does that earring have a break in it?

Back
Top Bottom