Help on detectors: F4, F75, MXT

Texaspast

Elite Member
I'm in the process of deciding what detector I want to upgrade to and have narrowed it down to the Fisher F4, F75 (or F70), Technetics T2, and the Whites MXT. I am currently using Compass XP Pro Scanner that is nearing 20 years old, but still working fine. I would like something with more depth - really, I would like something that worked as well as the Compass, just deeper. I have always loved the fantastic discrimination ability, quick recovery time and no need for constant retuning. When relic hunting I could cover more ground than the Fisher 1260 users, but not as deeply (or so it seems). So, I want to get a deeper machine. And since I'm going for deep, it might as well be as deep as I can afford, while not getting a machine that takes more time to tune and mess with than hunting time. I'd also like a detector with a good, solid tone that I don't have to listen for whispers but get my ears blown off with a surface quarter. And I'd like a machine I can use in the trashy park and the wide open pasture. (hey, I'm not asking for much, am I:) ) I'm willing to spend $900 - $1000, but would be real happy if I could get a good, easy, deep machine for a lot less. I don't have a dealer around where I can do a test-run, so I'm asking you guys to help me out.

What is the difference in the F75 and the F70? Are they comparable in performance and ease of use? Those who have used them, is there a difference in depth? Same for the F4. Is the T2 basically the same as the F75? They look a lot alike. And they all look a little flimsy - how do they hold up out in the rough hunting terrain?

I'm naturally drawn to the Whites machines, the MXT and the DFX, but don't know if I would have the patience to spend the amount of time necessary to learn them - from what I've read it looks like you have to have a pretty high degree of proficiency even to do any basic park hunting. Am I just being paranoid or are they actually difficult to learn? Are they any harder to master than the F75?

Any response at all would be appreciated, guys.

Hi Tex,

The DFX does have a steep learning curve if you want to become proficient in all the programmable functions and ensure your settings do indeed are giving you depth. The MXT on the other hand is pretty simple to use.

Thanks for the reply, Rudy. What is the difference in actual results in the field between a DFX and a MXT? Let's assume it is average, non-mineralized land, open country relic hunting, and assuming a user proficient in operating both machines. Why would one choose the DFX over the MXT?

I would have to agree with Rudy on the DFX steep learning curve. The F75 is deep but you will have to get used to the sounds and it is very sensitive so it can be a bit more prone to electrical interference.

John T.

Thanks for the reply, Rudy. What is the difference in actual results in the field between a DFX and a MXT? Let's assume it is average, non-mineralized land, open country relic hunting, and assuming a user proficient in operating both machines. Why would one choose the DFX over the MXT?

I'm perhaps the wrong person to ask. You see, I tried them both before deciding on the MXT. I found the myriad of programmable functions hard to cope with in the field and some that I would not really use. I believe in the scenario you mentioned, they'd both go as deep, with an edge on small gold jewelry to the MXT.

Having said that, if you are only going to have one detector and you intend to frequent salt water beaches, then the DFX is the weapon of choice between the two because of its ability to balance out the salt at both frequencies in correlate mode.

No experience on the F70 or F75 but I can tell you if it's quick powerfull adjustments you want to make on the fly without having to stop to enter programs, the MXT can do that and if you want your ears blown off on a quarter it will do that as well. I would recommend if you go with the MXT, try to find the regular MXT and not the MXT 300. It is cheaper and you can use the saved dollars on a small coil or I have seen rave revues on the new 10" DD coil Whites just came out with. I also believe they have some kind of Christmas special package or something with another coil. You should be able to find the MXT for 680.00 or if you really want the Whites Super 12 coil you can find the MXT 300 for 765.00.

I first started with a Bounty Hunter TimeRanger, I still like that detector but wanted another detector that I could tweak.
So I went and got both a Minelab Explorer SE and an Fisher F75.
I first tried the F75 and boy is it ever sensitive, its a monster and it talks to you so much if you try to learn it in a trashy site. I got intimidated by it and went and learned to use the Explorer SE.
I just loved it immediately, it is easy to learn and it doesn't chatter, it sings to you, it's all melody. All the programs you can enable and add up to custom tailor its response is great. So much so that I have put my F75 aside and am going to wait for next year to re-use it and learn with it choosing my grounds, un-trashy grounds so as not to repeat this year's experience of intimidation by it. The response at depth of the Explorer is soooo exact compared to other detectors. It just builds your confidence the more you hunt with it and verify its exactitude.

The F70 doesn't have the display illumination that the F75 has. I can vouch that it has extended my late day hunts. Display illumination is a very fine option to have.
You can find Explorers for way less than a Thousand on eBay and for about the same price as a used F75

If you're into gold, the Explorer is not sensitive to it as the Mighty F75 is.
If your squeemish about the DFX, maybe the Explorer SE would be a nice alternative that you haven't mentioned of having considered.
The Teknetics T2 is of an older design than the F75 and it is more tuned to be precise in the IRON range, that's why it is liked in England. The F75 is a cleaned up and ameliorated design of the T2 wich also lacks display illumination ;-)

In hoping it helps you in your process of selection

My husband uses a DFX and I use an MXT.
There are only a couple of things I like about the DFX over the MXT, but it's not enough for me to sell the MXT and get the DFX ....
As far as the salt beaches goes, I hear that's remedied by a DD coil.
I haven't tried my DD coil at the ocean shore yet, but I LOVE it over the stock coil.

BTW... according to the books, you can make the MXT operate exactly as the DFX does in the standard coin/jewelry program. (I'm still reading and learning... Thanks Lowjiber!)

My husband rarely strays from the stock programs in the DFX, so he's not utilizing it to its full capabilities. He favors the harmonics it produces, though.

I'm naturally drawn to the Whites machines, the MXT and the DFX, but don't know if I would have the patience to spend the amount of time necessary to learn them.

I don't know how you would think an MXT would be hard to learn. Most of the time it's turn on and go, turn the gain up or down, turn the disc up or down. Later you decide whether to lock the Trac or let it track the ground.

It doesn't need much adjustment and has no programs to change but like any detector you need to learn what it's telling you . Rob

As far as the salt beaches goes, I hear that's remedied by a DD coil.

I wish that was true Snowy. The DD coils helps a little in wet salt water sands, but it is not a complete "cure" by any stretch. The dry sand is no problem though.

I think like the Beach Hunter ID it's where you are hunting. On the Texas and Florida beaches the wet sand is no problem. My MXT and a DD run quiet. From what I hear you guys in California have it different. Rob

I think like the Beach Hunter ID it's where you are hunting. On the Texas and Florida beaches the wet sand is no problem. My MXT and a DD run quiet. From what I hear you guys in California have it different. Rob

That could be Rob, but if I remember correctly Craig on the east coast had an MXT and he too had an awful time with it on the wet salt beaches.

Very, very seldom would I use a machine on salt water beaches, so that is not a consideration to me in making my choice. And thanks for the input on the Minelab Explorer SE, BountyHunter. I had heard that was a rather difficult machine to master, too. I may look into it more.

Of these machines that have been mentioned, are they all fairly slow-sweep machines? The Compass XP Pro I sweep at maybe 6 feet per second, which seems the optimum speed for depth and target ID (slow-swinging the Compass decreases the ID sensitivity, for some reason). Which ring with equal loudness on a shallow or deep target? The Compass has a constant volume (adjustable only through the headphones). I kind of need that since I have a constant ringing in my ears (result of misspent youth shooting handguns without ear protection) and won't hear very soft targets, and can't afford to have really loud blasts, to preserve what's left of my hearing.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

The MXT is really very forgiving on sweep speed. It's listed a a 3 filter detector, I won't go there, so it can be swung slow or fast.

The MXT is loud and has not volume control. I use a limiter on my Rat Phones to protect my ears on pin pointing and shallow targets. You will have no trouble hearing this detector. Rob

I wish that was true Snowy. The DD coils helps a little in wet salt water sands, but it is not a complete "cure" by any stretch. The dry sand is no problem though.

I'll find out eventually how much it helps for me, and if I can't hack it I can stick to the dry land. I only hunt the ocean shoreline a couple/few times a year (when the gang gets together and we can't think of a place to go) anyway so it's not an issue for me. But at least I have the coil to help. :yes:

Being as I am a rookie with a MXT, I think you are all an awesome bunch of brains, I just keep reading and learning every time I am here!

Very, very seldom would I use a machine on salt water beaches, so that is not a consideration to me in making my choice. And thanks for the input on the Minelab Explorer SE, BountyHunter. I had heard that was a rather difficult machine to master, too. I may look into it more.

Of these machines that have been mentioned, are they all fairly slow-sweep machines? The Compass XP Pro I sweep at maybe 6 feet per second, which seems the optimum speed for depth and target ID (slow-swinging the Compass decreases the ID sensitivity, for some reason). Which ring with equal loudness on a shallow or deep target? The Compass has a constant volume (adjustable only through the headphones). I kind of need that since I have a constant ringing in my ears (result of misspent youth shooting handguns without ear protection) and won't hear very soft targets, and can't afford to have really loud blasts, to preserve what's left of my hearing.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Minelabs in general require a fairly slow sweep speed. One reason you don't often find them in competition hunts.

The DFX and XLT requires a fairly fast sweep for optimum depth and ID accuracy.

The MXT & M6 do most of their filtering inside the computer software and somehow this results in a machine that is fairly forgiving of sweep speed. Best target ID accuracy though requires a sweep speed of about one second per swing with the standard coil, a bit slower with the 5x9 or 4x6 DD coils.

The target volume you refer to is called non-modulated audio. The DFX can be programmed to give you non-modulated audio. On the MXT and M6 if you move the sensitivity all the way up in the + range, will also give you non-modulated audio.

Back
Top Bottom