what time do park workers get off?

michaell

My favorite park has some snitches they stop in parking lot and 5 mins later the park workers come. usaley I can jump in my car before they can scold me but its making this hobbey unfun I want to enjoy hunting parks without worrying all the time. Do any of you have an idea I would think around 4-5.

if the park workers scold you, you might not be allowed to hunt there. have you checked the regulations or made proactive contact with them? your post makes it sound like you are asking for guidance on how to get around the rules. im not sure how to answer you other than what I said above, especially since you didn't say which park.
-Sarge

if the park workers scold you, you might not be allowed to hunt there. have you checked the regulations or made proactive contact with them? your post makes it sound like you are asking for guidance on how to get around the rules. im not sure how to answer you other than what I said above, especially since you didn't say which park.
-Sarge
+1 Sneaking around rules does nothing to make this hobby better or more fun for any of us

You need to talk to them to find out what they want,if anything,and to clear the air as to whether or not detecting is allowed at the place in question. This is paramount to all other concerns. If you have the go ahead from the people who could tell you yes or no,then what other people are doing is irrelevant. Do NOT sneak around in anY way shape or form,it looks bad for YOU and for this hobby.

Good luck!
Kevin

I have detected right in front of park workers (well, a ranger) before without problems. Is metal detecting allowed at the park in question? If it is flat out posted that you cannot detect you shouldn't be there, but if there is no posted rule I don't see what the park workers could "bust" you for. Are the "snitches" trying to make it sound like you are destroying the park by detecting?

If you know there are people purposefully trying to get in you in trouble, I would talk to the park workers first and explain the situation. Maybe show them some dangerous sharp stuff you've found or show them the litter you pick up. If you run away when the park workers are coming it makes you look like you are in fact doing something you shouldn't.

Yep, I agree. Park is not your own property. You can't just go, detect and dig, you have to check-out rules before.

My favorite park has some snitches they stop in parking lot and 5 mins later the park workers come. usaley I can jump in my car before they can scold me but its making this hobbey unfun I want to enjoy hunting parks without worrying all the time. Do any of you have an idea I would think around 4-5.

Is really that much fun, having to keep a lookout for the park workers? They may have a usual time they leave, but there will be some work that needs to be done during less busy times. You still run the chance of meeting up with them. If there is a park rule, then the workers are probably the least of your worries. They've told you know in the past, so do you need a physical sign, and very specific rules to make it stick? I think people sneaking around is probably the number one reason why we get places banned. Once you are told 'No', you need to go to their boss, and see what the deal is, if hunting that park is critical to you hunting enjoyment.

Never know, maybe it's not the entire park, just certain areas. Won't know, until you talk to someone.

You should be able to look up the park rules online in your area.As was said it could be certain areas in the park or it could just be that its not allowed in some parks in your area.There will always be people that see us there and not like it.And some people are just busybodies.Find out what the laws are.

Well its owned by my neighborhood so... I think I should be able to detect they usalley make comments like your messing up the grass or my boss would apperaite if you didn't ruin this park.

Well its owned by my neighborhood so... I think I should be able to detect they usalley make comments like your messing up the grass or my boss would apperaite if you didn't ruin this park.

Maybe there's a problem in how you're digging stuff, there are really good videos out there that show you how to do it without leaving a trace that you were there. If that's not it, maybe a friendly visit with the boss would go a long way.

Possibly change your digging habits. Use a smaller digger and use a towel or even a small rubber mat to place the dirt on so you can easily put it back in the hole. The less evidence of you having been there the better. In parks its best to always use the dirt mat technique so there can be little to complain about. Like previously posted there are videos out there on YouTube showing how to do it, not saying you cant but maybe there might be a better way or easier way.

The workers and rangers do one of three things with me:

-drive on by

-watch a while, then leave

-ask me for my permit, which I'm happy to show them.

I make sure I'm legal, then I'm good to go, no matter who shows up.

Happy Hunting!

I can think of a lot of city's parks, where there's not necessarily any specific "no detecting" rule. Yet ...... someone can/might still gripe. It could (like in your case) only because a lookie-lou griped. And NOT because you're breaking any rule. But that the LEO or park person needs to "satisfy miss lookie-lou. OR that some mis-informed park worker *thinks* you might be about to leave holes or marks.

So to avoid such nosy-parkers is NOT to insinuate that: "therefore you must be guilty of "sneaking around" or "breaking rules". It's kind of like nose-picking: not illegal, but .... you just pick more discreet times. So as not to offend others.

After 5pm is a better time :cool:

One thing you should do to help the grass to grow back is to dig grassy areas only when the ground is wet or the weather is rainy. Nothing messes up the grass more than digging in hot, dry, weather.

In our area it's 3 pm.

Why not just go on the weekend?

I can think of a lot of city's parks, where there's not necessarily any specific "no detecting" rule. Yet ...... someone can/might still gripe. It could (like in your case) only because a lookie-lou griped. And NOT because you're breaking any rule. But that the LEO or park person needs to "satisfy miss lookie-lou. OR that some mis-informed park worker *thinks* you might be about to leave holes or marks.

So to avoid such nosy-parkers is NOT to insinuate that: "therefore you must be guilty of "sneaking around" or "breaking rules". It's kind of like nose-picking: not illegal, but .... you just pick more discreet times. So as not to offend others.

After 5pm is a better time :cool:

Agreed. If I'm detecting and people come up to me I don't leave, but I try going when there's less likely to be people there in the first place. Less headaches.

Back
Top Bottom