Help on setting up a club

Crackdaddy

I am thinking about trying to get a club started. Only thing is I don't have a clue how to do it. If any one can point me in the right direction that would be great. There clubs about 70 miles from me but just to far away thanks.

I would start by seeing how many detectorists there are in your area and how much interest there would be in starting a club. Do you want it to be a formal or informal club. A new informal club has started in my area that has no officers or dues but just meets in various parks once a month for a hunt
and a pot luck dinner and show and tell. They seem to be doing quite well with that format. I belong to a formal club with officers and bylaws but nobody wants to run for an office which stagnates after time. Another thing
is how to generate funds to keep the club going. Some clubs have yearly open hunts while others do auctions and sales to generate funds.

Crackdaddy, check out Wheat State Treasure Hunters websitein my signature. We have been going since May or so and things are going well. If you read through all the posts you will get a feel for our very informal take on some stuff and pretty formal take on others. I say go for it!

club

One rule I would make is to keep politics and political discussions and viewpoints out of the club. This is from a club that currently is "on break" and part of the reason for it had to do with political viewpoints. JMHO.

ditto

One rule I would make is to keep politics and political discussions and viewpoints out of the club. This is from a club that currently is "on break" and part of the reason for it had to do with political viewpoints. JMHO.

That and religion. Those two topics have no place in a metal detecting club.

Quick and Dirty

Have a monthly guest speaker
Go to area detector related businesses and ask for small door prize stuff. magazine , hats relic grab bags , etc
A " Find of the month plaque could be made up and a find of the month be voted on...but careful with that because It and can anger people if they dont win.
Have an annual Christmas Party , Have an Annual Summer Pick-nick , Have a weekend club hunt once a year to a cool place
Have an annual Detector clinic that teaches people how to hunt and use their machines.
Set up a facebook account
get some club patches made and there you go ! The first Thursday is easy to remember. Quick and Dirty !:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom