Dallas/Ft.Worth Hunter's Question

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
How many of you have detected, ID-d and dug coins here within a 60 mile radius of Dallas,,,at and beyond 10 inches in dirt, not beach sand? How many successfull digs in say a year's time or even several years time?

How many of you have never? BTW, southern Oklahoma doesn't count for this survey. martin

I've only been hunting two years and actually live in Wise county but I do hunt some in the FW area. Personally I haven't dug any coins over about 7-8" max in the area. Interesting question I'll be following along for sure :cool:

I've never dug a coin over 7 inches that I can remember. Not in blackland. I dug a shotgun headstamp at the Y at 9 inches. Deepest coin size object for me.

I have dug several wheat pennys at 8-9 inches and well, you already know about the quarter but I can't take full credit for that one. Last week at the school that I was working the targets were deep because of the sandy soil here in SS. Too much hard clay base for the coins to go really deep in my home town.
Pesc

"detected, ID-d and dug"

You lost me at "ID'd". I have dug more than a few at 10" but the ID was never certain. Two places come to mind with deep coins in my local area. One is really sandy and I don't go there often and the other is too hard for me to bother digging that deep most of the year. I tend to specialize in the 4-5" depth range and rarely go for deep unless the conditions permit. No idea how many times in a year, maybe a few in the last year, maybe hundreds in last 5-10 years. I have hunted all around the metroplex and don't find many coins at 8" and beyond. Once in a while a good, deep coin will pop out but having worn myself out and wasted countless hours digging deep trash, it has to be a pretty convincing signal for me to bother these days.

Back
Top Bottom