• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What about this headstamp?

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Found in town, at an old Boy Scouts camp. This brass is unusually heavy. Just wondering about the age of it. WWII?

Attachments

• DSCN7156.jpg
    DSCN7156.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 267
I found this on another site:

"The case you found is the .30-40 Krag. The .30-40 was the first US military smallbore (.30cal) smokeless powder round. As a civilian round, it kept the blackpowder cartridge type of name (.30-40) as did the smokeless .30-30 cartridge a couple of years later.

Chambered in the Krag rifle, the military knew it as the .30 Army (or .30 US Army), and featured a FMJ 220gr RN bullet @ 2200fps. There was also a civilian loading with a 180gr rn @ 2440fps.

Rifles firing the .30-40 Krag are the military Krag (also known as Krag-Jorgenson), with rifle and carbine models, dating 1892 through 1898. The Winchester 1895 lever action, various winchester single shots (high wall), and their reproductions. Also the Ruger No.3 rifle was produced in .30-40 Krag caliber for a time.

Waaay back when I was about 15, I got a Krag rifle, and rode my bycicle the 11 miles (I was too young to drive) to our local gunsmith's shop looking for ammo. He rummaged abound in the back of his shop for a while, then came out and gave me a coffee can about half full of .30-40 ammo. Some of it was R-P commercial stuff (quite old), and most of it was even older, and was headstamped either .30 Army, or .30 USA, and had long round nosed FMJ bullets. It all shot just fine. recoil was substantial, and the penetration was phenominal! This stuff would shoot through trees a couple of feet thick!

Krags in original military trim are spendy collectors items nowdays, and sporterised ones are often in not such good condition. The newest ones are over 100 years old now, and many have not aged all that well. The Krag bolt action has only a single locking lug, so it is not as strong as contemporary Mausers.

The .30-40 Krag has always had a special place in my heart, due to my childhood memories of it (and it is quite capable of killing anything that walks in North America), and I have wanted another one for years. I recently got a Ruger No.3 in .30-40 Krag, dies and brass, and while I haven't put together any loads yet, I will be able to scratch that particular itch soon."

Wow, that's some great info! Thank you sir! I can tell it is old and well made. You said the bullets were long, and round nose. Could this be one of those bullets? I found it in the same lot.

Attachments

• DSCN7165.jpg
    DSCN7165.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN7168 (2).jpg
    DSCN7168 (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 177
There seems to be dots between the letters in the headstamp, so that means it comes from 1939-1944. I kinda doubt they used lead bullets in it that time, the reply above mentions full metal jacket bullets.

Voriax

Wow, that's some great info! Thank you sir! I can tell it is old and well made. You said the bullets were long, and round nose. Could this be one of those bullets? I found it in the same lot.

NO- the diameter of that bullet is about .38 to .40 (hard to tell from the way the bullet lays on the ruler.

.30-40 is 0.30 diameter.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the bullet is round nose, but otherwise all wrong for the Krag casing. Old bullets are fun finds, but they get more interesting when you learn about them.

Yea, I find a lot of casings and shells and a few fired bullets. All fun to find.

Yesterday was a .22 with only slight impact damage.

I did find a .50 grooved bullet at this abandoned farm but guessing it is from a modern muzzle loader, 1960/70's.

Back
Top Bottom