Does the Equinox unmask great?

graybeard

Elite Member
I tested the Equinox 800 using a nail and a quarter and nickle. I put a 2 1/2" nail on a board up off the ground then placed a quarter half way down length of the nail, I started at an inch away then kept moving it closer sweeping down the length of the nail ....nothing if any part the coil was over the nail. Sweeping straigth across the nail...good beep, going at an angle didn't always hit good, when it hit the number was usually lower..21 or 23. I tried different programs lower recovery speeds worked better, recovery speed 8 if it hit the number was 17.... Iron bias 0 was the best.

I did the same with a nickle and the nickle hit better, it would read 11 or 12 most of the time. Running down the nail or close to down it the number was 8.

It didnt do well with down the barrel nail test but what detector does?
Maybe if the iron in ground is really rusty???

I thought it did a great job at finding coins in junk and iron.I had no problems knowing it was a coin,or finding them,just didn’t know what they were.I see a lot of nail tests and I know we’re all different in what we expect from a machine.But for me I wouldn’t count out a machine because of a bad nail test,that I might or might not ever encounter in real life.

I tested the Equinox 800 using a nail and a quarter and nickle. I put a 2 1/2" nail on a board up off the ground then placed a quarter half way down length of the nail, I started at an inch away then kept moving it closer sweeping down the length of the nail ....nothing if any part the coil was over the nail. Sweeping straigth across the nail...good beep, going at an angle didn't always hit good, when it hit the number was usually lower..21 or 23. I tried different programs lower recovery speeds worked better, recovery speed 8 if it hit the number was 17.... Iron bias 0 was the best.

I did the same with a nickle and the nickle hit better, it would read 11 or 12 most of the time. Running down the nail or close to down it the number was 8.

Some detectors will hit down the nail pretty good if set up correctly, and some will hit with a nail on either side of coin. Where the failure starts big time is when you put the coin out of the same plane and lower it a tad from the nails then everything starts to fail at around an 1 1/2 inch or more.

Some detectors will hit down the nail pretty good if set up correctly, and some will hit with a nail on either side of coin. Where the failure starts big time is when you put the coin out of the same plane and lower it a tad from the nails then everything starts to fail at around an 1 1/2 inch or more.

Right! If it won't do it on the same plane, it surely won't do if the coin is below the plane of the nail.

beephead

The 3d test of nails above a coin are hard for some detectors, these tests are closer to what i face in a real hunt compared to the nail board test, as i just don't have any permissions where targets are all sitting nicely on the same plane.

You can do the tests in ground. Covering them up so as you can't see them helps you understand what the detector is telling you.
I really liked the Rutus for picking out targets, you could sweep slow and it would easily tell you nail-coin-nail by the audio.

https://youtu.be/onWfB02C4Rc

I don't like or base my detecting on nail board test. My only reason for doing the test was I detected a area in a park that I hardly detect in and found 43 nickles, 3 quarters, 7 dimes and 20 pennies. I was wondering why so few quarters and dimes. The nickles were as deep as 10", the dimes were around 6" deep and the quarters 3" deep.

I see it unmask nickles better than quarters or dimes. So for the quarters and dimes I need to use a detector that does better at finding them.

DFX, AT PRO, X-Terra 705 or F75 LTD.

Graybeard, sounds like clad hunters are hitting your park and just digging quarters and dimes. Some people that's all they do, turn the disc all the way up and only dig what's left with a solid tone etc.

Right! If it won't do it on the same plane, it surely won't do if the coin is below the plane of the nail.

If you put the coin in the ground and put a nail above the plane of the coin and off to the side the masking gets even worse.

Back
Top Bottom