Am I ruining my v nickel?

Logo1924

Hey guys. I created another thread on here when I found this 1899 v nickel. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261015 Since then, I soaked it in Worcestershire sauce, then in vinegar (no salt), then I tried scrubbing it with the rough side of a sponge. I do regret that last step, but I keep hearing about how scrubbing with SOS pads does miracles to nickels. I thought the rough side of a sponge wouldn't be as abrasive but what do I know.. I am afraid to do any more, but there are still spots on it and it doesn't shine as i would like it to. Thoughts? suggestions? Here is my current nickel:
8a513c2aefa6b9df9a4e5a5299221417.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a wheat that was pretty toasted and didn't really think I could do any more damage to it.. I soaked it in vinegar and I swear I made it worse..

Well I decided wth and cut one of those green scratch pads into a circle, bought a mandrill for my Dremel , attached it to the mandrel, run it on low speed and it came out beautiful

not like I was going to do any worse to it..

Others will disagree with my method but hey it works for me.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Rotary-Mandrel/999977704
you can get some other dremel pads but hey they cost $$ this cost me like 3 bucks.

good luck

I had a key date v nickel that I dug. I tried to gently clean it and took the date off almost completely. I will never do that again with something valuable. Everything else, why worry? If you want it shiny, go for it.

I found two V nickels stuck together once.
The outside was dark and dirt encrusted like most old nickels are but the insides were a bit more protected because they were pressed together it they weren't perfect.
Pic one is how they looked,
I did what I always do to old nickels if I want to clean them the best way possible, a brilliant pad and a whole lot of elbow grease.
Pic two after scrubbing.

People say don't clean coins but no nickels I have ever found were worth anything and unless I want to look at a black dirty round disc forever I clean them.
I prefer looking at nickels that look like nickels.

Attachments

• photostudio_1526005124792.jpg
    photostudio_1526005124792.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 440
  • photostudio_1526005323805.jpg
    photostudio_1526005323805.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 425
If it's not too valuable I clean them up a little but only by soaking in water then brush loose dirt away lightly with a soft brush. It takes days of soaking sometimes but I usually get some detail back. They never look new though.

Well I decided wth and cut one of those green scratch pads into a circle, bought a mandrill for my Dremel , attached it to the mandrel, run it on low speed and it came out beautiful
good luck
My main concern with this is that my nickels surface is very flat. When I run my fingers over it, I don't really feel any ridges. I talked to someone who uses one of these dremels and they said I could easily take the face right off this coin. I would love to see an image of your penny if I may.

I had a key date v nickel that I dug. I tried to gently clean it and took the date off almost completely. I will never do that again with something valuable. Everything else, why worry? If you want it shiny, go for it.

Fair point. I am a new detector and this is my best find so I am a bit wary.

People say don't clean coins but no nickels I have ever found were worth anything and unless I want to look at a black dirty round disc forever I clean them.
I prefer looking at nickels that look like nickels.
I hear ya. I don't care about selling it but I'm just wanting to make it look better. In your case it looks like they came out looking much better!

If it's not too valuable I clean them up a little but only by soaking in water then brush loose dirt away lightly with a soft brush. It takes days of soaking sometimes but I usually get some detail back. They never look new though.

I figured the dark layer that was initially on my coin was what I have heard called a patina. Would soaking in water and scrubbing help remove that? I had no idea that such a simple method might be enough to satisy me.

Water doesn't take the patina off nickel but scrubbing does. The patina is where the value is so I try to avoid scratching it and just get the dirt.

You might try cleaning a dirty modern nickel or two and find a method that works for you.

Water doesn't take the patina off nickel but scrubbing does. The patina is where the value is so I try to avoid scratching it and just get the dirt.

You might try cleaning a dirty modern nickel or two and find a method that works for you.

That is a smart idea I might just do that, thanks!

My main concern with this is that my nickels surface is very flat. When I run my fingers over it, I don't really feel any ridges. I talked to someone who uses one of these dremels and they said I could easily take the face right off this coin. I would love to see an image of your penny if I may.

Before I hit it with the Dremel it was completely unreadable (toasted).

After, I can read it and from normal viewing without magnification it looks good. Magnified it is pitted but not scratched.. the pitting is from the vinegar and time probably.

good luck however you clean it.

Attachments

• wheats.jpg
    wheats.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 357
The nickel was pretty much ruined from being in the ground for years. SOS pads are the best to make them look better. Not sure it will help yours after your soakings.

I try to avoid any of the chemicals when cleaning coins. I started out like you, wanting to get the coins shiny. Then I started to appreciate the green and browns on the old coins. :yes: If you really want to shine a coin you probably need to use some sort of polish, more abrasives will probably just dull it more and take off detail as well. If I use metal polish on rings its "never-dull" or most marine stainless cleaners do OK too...but I don't recommend them on coins without research first.

Back
Top Bottom