Forgotton Cellar Hole

ollievon

Elite Member
So, it's been pretty cold here in Upstate NY and it's normally my time to walk in the woods with a handheld GPS and mark locations for the following year. Luckily about 2-weeks ago we had a mild spell where the sun had warmed up the ground and there was very little snow covering anything, so I headed out with GPS and the 705 just for the heck of it.

After about an hour of walking in the woods of an old property, and one I had been informed by the owner did not have any signs of prior habitation, I stumbled on a cellar hole...or at least what appeared to be one - it was not stone lined, but sat on a high point in the woods and clearly did not look natural. Right off the bat when I started my machine I got targets, not a lot, but enough that peeked my interest that this had been a homesite at one time.

The first strong signal turned out to be a copper batwing buckle, clearly colonial, the next was a lead spoon and some broken blueplate,, and then nothing. I spent another hour there with no real tones, but I was hopeful.

When I was about to end my hunt for the day I hit a nice mid tone (I was praying for a gold coin) the numbers were solid and when I dug up the item it was a circular lead blob...so I figured it was a smashed lead round ball. Upon wiping it off I noticed a few stars which really puzzled me...one side was completely blank, the other side turns out to be the obverse of an 1838 large cent in reverse! At first I thought it may have been some secret location for minting bogus coins...but why would they use lead as the planchet? It's cool find nonetheless, but I think it was someone just goofing around years ago and hitting lead on a coin to see what it would do...you just never know what you'll find in this hobby.

I will be back to this place in the spring, there's more there for sure.

Attachments

• BUCKLE.jpg
    BUCKLE.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 329
  • SPOON.JPG
    SPOON.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 310
  • LEAD_LARGIE_1.JPG
    LEAD_LARGIE_1.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 328
Great pix. The buckle and spoon and coin-oddity just drip with history . Good luck on your return visits.

Interesting spoon and Tom wants that LC, he will pay 30 % shipping.:lol:

haha, A counterfeit LC is actually MORE COOL than a regular one, eh ? Harkens back to an era when it was actually worthwhile for someone to counterfeit a single penny , eh ? Ya can't argue with a conversation piece like that.

So therefore I'll go ahead and add it in : Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

:laughing:

....When I was about to end my hunt for the day I hit a nice mid tone (I was praying for a gold coin) ....

Nope. Sorry. We don't allow gold coins east of the Mississippi.

Contemporary counterfeits are usually much rarer than the authentic coins they copied. That is a GREAT find, congrats.

haha, A counterfeit LC is actually MORE COOL than a regular one, eh ?

Contemporary counterfeits are usually much rarer than the authentic coins they copied. That is a GREAT find, congrats.

Re-read the post.
NOT a counterfeit since it is only one side and reversed.
It is just someone playing with molten lead and a coin.

This is someone my brother and I did when we were kids.

Re-read the post.
NOT a counterfeit since it is only one side and reversed.
It is just someone playing with molten lead and a coin.

Sorry, I didn't know that you were more of a coin expert than Tom and I. No need to make a snide remark. We were just trying to be nice. Won't make that mistake with you again.

Back
Top Bottom