Night hunting advice.

OBN

OldCherryPicker
Forum Supporter
Short day light hours and tides being super low after dark or early morning dark,......... how many here hunt these conditions. I remember Frank telling me about hunting a spot in the dark and almost stepping into a drop off. I know the beach I'll be hunting very well, temps will be chilly ((30F)), water temp is 42F which is not a issue for I was out in the same conditions the other day for 5 hours and warm. I have a good head lamp,... water resistant. I will be hunting "In the water", about chest deep. I think I'm fairly well prepared but anyone have stories or see a something I need to be aware of...........Late Sunday evening winds will be off shore, but do change early Monday AM, so more then likely Sunday evening will be the best opp... Low is around 8pm, figured stay till 8 then Hightail it.... or just stay home and get fat.

And it gets dark here around 5:15pm..

Steve I know you hunt similar conditions, any thoughts? One good thing here, no competition to get in the way.

Thanks in Advance Joe

Short day light hours and tides being super low after dark or early morning dark,......... how many here hunt these conditions. I remember Frank telling me about hunting a spot in the dark and almost stepping into a drop off. I know the beach I'll be hunting very well, temps will be chilly ((30F)), water temp is 42F which is not a issue for I was out in the same conditions the other day for 5 hours and warm. I have a good head lamp,... water resistant. I will be hunting "In the water", about chest deep. I think I'm fairly well prepared but anyone have stories or see a something I need to be aware of...........Late Sunday evening winds will be off shore, but do change early Monday AM, so more then likely Sunday evening will be the best opp... Low is around 8pm, figured stay till 8 then Hightail it.... or just stay home and get fat.

Steve I know you hunt similar conditions, any thoughts? One good thing here, no competition to get in the way.

Thanks in Advance Joe

Yes. Sharks feed at night and early morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Sharks feed at night and early morning.

Thank You....
I'm hoping not to see much of anything with the water being in the low 40's...I do remember in OC MD years ago seeing several big fish at sunrise, one reason I stopped hunting out in the water there, but that was summer time also. Just hope the water is to chilly for those big boys.

That would be risky at best and downright dangerous or deadly at the worst. Things can happen quick in the ocean and even more so in the dark. I would hate to read about something bad happening to you. Is there anything out there that's worth your life?

Maybe knee deep would make more sense.

Cliff

Me too[emoji3] I have had them brush me a few times here they even come into the trough. Mostly spinners and black tip sharks. Good thing I had my scoop. lol

I wouldn't worry too much about wildlife at that temperature. It's good to push down on the ground where you are going to walk with the coil or scoop... just to feel if the ground is solid or not. Sometimes I stretch my leg out and feel with my foot. Lowers the chances of getting surprised by a hole or drop off. As for keeping the light on constantly you will figure out which you prefer, on or off, pretty quickly. If boats are a potential problem just tie some lights or reflectors to the sifter.
I would probably wait for flat conditions or waist deep at best for the first few times

Put on a chum bag off your belt.... Joe each day is now increasing in daylight... have a little patience... :laughing:

Put on a chum bag off your belt.... Joe each day is now increasing in daylight... have a little patience... :laughing:

No daddy, I'm going out no matter what you say...:nono:

Yea I just may wait, I was thinking silly again....gold does that to me....:(

No daddy, I'm going out no matter what you say...:laughing:..

Yea I just may wait, I was thinking sill again....:(

:laughing:

Great reply.. I don't think you have to worry right now with Bull sharks but as the days get longer it will warm up... I believe DST starts again in March of this year... March 8th but each day as I mentioned light is increasing by a couple to a few minutes per day. Dec. 21st was the shortest day of year...

And BTW you are older than me Gramps

I do have a manual inflate fish vest, I was considering that but Since I'm wearing a drysuit and several layers of cloths I can lift my feet off of the ground and I float like a fishing bob. But the vest would assure me I would be heads up. Right now I'm 50/50 on going...and test to see what it's like after dark.

Many Thanks for all of the replies, the water is going to be calm so that's a big plus...Nothing like the ocean..

Short day light hours and tides being super low after dark or early morning dark,......... how many here hunt these conditions.
Thanks in Advance Joe

Hey OBN, I've done quite a bit of night hunting and I actually prefer to night hunt. Waters tend to be calmer, no one around to disturb you (usually), and as long as you're equipped well, you should have no worries.

Keep in mind all of my hunting is freshwater, so not much in those waters to feast on me. I did have one scary instance hunting an inland lake at night and I see this pontoon trolling the lake at 2am with huge spot lights coming off the bow of the boat. Turns out they were bowfishing. They must have trolled about 30 feet away from me and I was scared that if they lit me up with those lights, they would have gotten trigger happy and hit me with an arrow thinking I was the creature from the black lagoon or something!

Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. Cheers!

Joe do you hunt with a floating sifter at night or just the scoop?
Thinking you could have one of these strapped to a leg or connected to your sifter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02-IZMwPin4

On second thought, I have no idea what kind of an effect the device might have on the electronics of a detector?

I use to Night hunt the ocean years ago but just the wetsand. I would have to walk the scoop and target up and dump it. Then try and find the target. Here in the BAy I always use the sifter, to much to dig thru to find the target.

I just need to stay about waist deep. And I would not go out at night if it was warmer water. Water is in the low 40's so I think I will be fine on the critters...

If anything should happen to me I want everyone here to know I have willed my Fisher Impulse "AQ" to Craig...:tissue:

Thanks in Advance Joe
At a minimum I would get an automatic deployable vest,
They have similar wrist and waist mounted C02 inflateables. Strongly recommend!

I had a couple scares at night....

First was when my feet got stuck in the muck and I started sinking. I couldn't get out and the more I moved, the more I sunk. It was winter and dark so no one was around. I was waist deep when I got stuck and was armpit deep when I eventually got free. My heart didn't stop racing for an hour.

Second time I went at night, a big wave knocked me over and really ruffled my feathers as I struggled to get back on my feet and keep hold of my equipment.

As far as wildlife.... (2) incidents with sharks. Both times they were chasing a fish and nearly knocked me over in their pursuit. Again, that was only knee-thigh deep, and the one shark was 6-7 feet. !!!!!

At the very least, have a check in system arranged. Tell someone where you are going and to call for help if you don't check in by an agreed time.

Wait till a shark swims between your legs.
It's a rush.

Or a family of manatees slowly silently swims by you. They just want to be friendly.

Obn

No way I would hunt the bay after dark , 9 to 3 pm done , when the tides don't work for you hunt shallow to the high tide line , I remember a couple years ago they caught Bull Sharks in the Severn , all I'm saying why take risks when your gonna break 100 gold requardless of how many days you hunt, your ahead of everyone at 12 gold Joe , be safe buddy , your not a spring chicken anymore . Besides I am sure that finding one more gold is no big deal to you anymore , and you need to be around to take care of mom , instead of shark bait , happy day light hunting, Earl

Back
Top Bottom