1893 14k gold pocket watch

Livinlocal619

Although I did not find this, I figured some people here would appreciate the story, since we are all into old relics.

To tell you a little about myself, My name is Travis Sacco, I am 30 years old and I have never really known much about my family tree beyond my grandparents. The reason I'm telling you my name and age, is so it will make sense when you look at the diagram and read my story. The only thing I knew, was that my grandmother's side of the family came to America from Italy, but never knew my grandfather's family, and didn't even meet my grandfather until about six years ago. over the last six years I have been spending more and more time with my grandfather, and have never really thought to ask about our family's history. well I received the greatest Christmas present I could ever ask for, which was the history of my grandfather's side of the family going back to the 1800s.

on Christmas day my fiance and I went to my mother's house to spend Christmas, where my grandfather had also come to spend Christmas with us. he pulled me to the backyard to have some one-on-one time, and asked me if I knew what the little pocket on the right side of jeans pockets was for, which he then told me it was made for pocket watches back in the day. I was a little thrown off by this, but it will make sense here in a little bit. He then surprised me by giving me a spreadsheet he created, showing our family tree, which went back to the 1800s. This was a spreadsheet he wrote by hand, that I could tell he spent a lot of time on.

My grandfather, dick, was able to tell me our family's heritage going all the way back to my great, great, great grandfather. he told me that he didn't really know much about my great, great, great grandfather, and he just called him old 93 as a reference. You'll see the reference here shortly.

I will make this part somewhat fast, But looking at my family tree, old 93 had a son named Fred Jackson, who was my great-great-grandfather. Fred Jackson then had a daughter, Jackie Jackson, who was my great-grandmother. Jackie Jackson then married my great-grandfather, which she then took the last name Sacco, after marrying my great-grandfather Anthony Sacco. Jackie and Anthony then had a son, which is my grandfather, Dick Sacco. Dick and my grandmother had two kids, one of which is my mother, and the other is my uncle, John Sacco. shortly after my mother gave birth to me, sadly my uncle John passed away in a tragic motorcycle accident, leaving me the last Sacco to carry on our name. During my grandfather explaining all of this, he kept telling me to remember "old 93".

during all of this, I was completely blown away and it took me as a great surprise. After he explained myheritage, he then pulled out a pocket watch from the little jean pocket, explaining this was made for my great great grandfather, Fred Jackson, by his father, "old 93". At this moment I had a feeling what was going to happen next, but was overwhelmed with emotions.

he explained how this watch was passed all the way down through our family, and how "old 93" had it made for his son, Fred Jackson, who gave it to Anthony Sacco after Anthony married Fred's daughter, Jackie. And told Anthony to pass it down through the family, to each first born son, or to the husband of the first born daughter. My grandfather explained to me that it was given to him from his father, Anthony, and he was told pretty much the same thing he is telling me. To pass it down to the first born son, or firstborn daughter's husband.

My grandfather, dick, explained to me that originally the watch was supposed to go to my uncle John, but after his passing, he is handing down the watch to me as the family tradition, to which he took the lanyard connecting the watch to his belt off, and handed the watch to me. he explained that after John's passing, he knew for many many years that I was going to be the one to receive the watch, and today was the day. I recently had a daughter and he told me that if I do not have a son, to pass it down to my daughter's husband if/when she gets married and they have a child.

Once he handed me the watch, he had me open the back of the watch, which is engraved "Fred. W. Jackson from father 1893". This is where the "old 93" reference is from. He then showed me how to wind the watch, and showed me that it still works to this day. Overwhelmed with emotions, we both started crying LOL. At this time my mom saw what was going on, and apparently she knew about the watch for many years but did not realize my grandfather was going to be giving it to me on this day. She came outside and also cried with us LOL.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with metal detecting, but I figured some people here would appreciate the story, and it's a way for me to document this, and to look back on in the future. with the combination of this being my daughter's first Christmas, and my grandfather passing down the watch, this has been the best Christmas I have ever had, and could ever ask for.

The pocket watche is made by a company called Elgin Nath watch company,which I know absolutely nothing about. It is made out of 14 karat gold, and has engraving all around the outside. My grandfather told me he also has a gold chain that he will be giving me soon, but has a paracord attached to it right now so he was able to wear it on his belt while handing it over to me. He did not want the gold chain to be damaged or broken.

with my fiance and I getting married here shortly, and I will be wearing the watch during our wedding ceremony, and I am extremely happy to have this in my possession to pass down through our family in the future.

I hope you enjoyed this story! Sorry it is so long.

07621a0dc3a5ac5a3f4b083a1dea9b14.jpg
25855c8c42ba2e0557978b4b01b0391c.jpg
783ad8dc4cf632aeebe760048a812213.jpg
edafd580709714409f4acaf9064e4ab3.jpg
2e07b5c800e86d73f4fb67f48f74af77.jpg
8debb2b96197d41f6a300c6e11d4460d.jpg
bcff5a74e5d06fca71115b537deca1a9.jpg
6d8bade0c8349a2230189c093f9c9be1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Love the story and the awesome watch! Congrats on becoming the new caretaker! The watch has been in very protective hands as the beautiful condition shows. The engraving on the case is excellent and the numbers etched into the cover show that it has been serviced. If you open the case to show the movement, there will be a serial number that you can research as well. I admire and collect pocket watches. Here is a link to look up the numbers for Elgin: www.elginnumbers.com. Enjoy!

Great story .
I also have inherited my
Grand fathers & Grand mothers pocket watches,
from my Father.
My Grandfather received his as a graduation present from the 8th grade in 1922, my grandma's was from a business school in 1932?
I treasure them and the stories of my grand parents that represent,
thinking of the harden times that they lived in & endured

thank you for the link, I am definitely going to read up on it. But to be honest, I am too scared to open it up to check for the numbers. I'm worried that I might break something LOL

Love the story and the awesome watch! Congrats on becoming the new caretaker! The watch has been in very protective hands as the beautiful condition shows. The engraving on the case is excellent and the numbers etched into the cover show that it has been serviced. If you open the case to show the movement, there will be a serial number that you can research as well. I admire and collect pocket watches. Here is a link to look up the numbers for Elgin: www.elginnumbers.com. Enjoy!

That's awesome! if you don't mind me asking, have you done anything to display the watch or do you just keep it safe somewhere? I was contemplating on having a display made for it and hang it on a wall in our hom,but at the same time I have also contemplating keeping it safe inside of my safe..

Great story .
I also have inherited my
Grand fathers & Grand mothers pocket watches,
from my Father.
My Grandfather received his as a graduation present from the 8th grade in 1922, my grandma's was from a business school in 1932?
I treasure them and the stories of my grand parents that represent,
thinking of the harden times that they lived in & endured

Loved the Write Up! You have a gift there....
Also, Congratulations for being honored with the keeping of the Family History as you go through Time...

Very much enjoyed your story and photos, livinlocal. A beautiful timepiece indeed. I believe your watch has what they call a “hunter’s case”, which is when they have two hinged covers; one for the back and another for the crystal and dial at the front. Cherish it!

Jim

Very nice story and the watch looks fabulous.
I suggest you join ancestry and family search. I joined two years ago and have traced my family back to the year 550. I did my dna on ancestry and have found cousins all over the world. I also discovered that on my dads side his mothers side came to Canada in 1834 and bought land in Mono Ontario 45 minutes from me. Discovered 5 generations buried in the Old Saint John's Cemetery. It incredibly rewarding to discover ancestors and their grave sites. Oh and you will discover some interesting incredible facts if your lucky. My 14th 1st cousin was Sir Francis Weston beheaded by Henry VIII for allegedly having an affair with Anne Boleyn.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom