Help Identifying a few finds

AlexDaugherty

Greetings, does anybody know anything specific about the below items? I believe I found them all around the same site, but am unsure as some of these I found years ago. Here is what I speculate:
A) I really have no idea. The threading on this bolt is very short compared to overall length
B) Some form of farm implement. Maybe part of a wagon?
C) A pendant
D) The bullet measures 3/8. Not sure on date with the single ring

I hope someone with more experience can shed a little more information. I have found multiple coins from 1850's to early 1900's from this site. It also had a railroad going through it during the late 19th century.

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 324
I could buy that. Thanks for the help! Any ideas on why the hitch pin would be threaded on the end though?

I could buy that. Thanks for the help! Any ideas on why the hitch pin would be threaded on the end though?

In horse and buggy days, it was difficulty and time consuming especially for blacksmiths to drill a small cross hole in round stock for a hitch pin clip that is common today. Plus they would have to fabricate a clip and get the spring tension just right on it. Cutting threads for the pin and a nut was much faster and easier with the tools they had. Drilling a hole in flat bar for the square nut was easier than drilling a cross hole in round stock. I am guessing many of them would just heat the flat stock in the furnace, take it to the anvil and drive the hole in it. Then part it off while it was hot.

Back
Top Bottom