DIV Blog (FINAL UPDATE, totals and my find of the hunt)

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Day 1

It was great seeing so many familiar faces today, and the weather couldn't have been nicer. Here's my finds from Day 1 at the Excelsior camp. My first US base, woohoo! Sorry about the lousy picture on that one. I'm too tired to go take another one, LOL. I also dug not one, but TWO wormed Gardners. The strange thing about it is that they came from opposite ends of the farm!

From other diggers today I saw lots of bottles, a drummer plate, and I saw pics of an ID tag and some sweet buttons found as well.

Good luck to everyone out there tomorrow!

Attachments

• bullet 1.jpg
    bullet 1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 383
  • day 1 finds.JPG
    day 1 finds.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 387
  • us base.JPG
    us base.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 389
Day 2

You can read the full story of "the bullet hole" over at my blog. But here's my finds from Day 2. Everything on the right was found in the first half of the day. After lunch I got into a 6 foot or so area and dug the other 28 bullets on the left. These bullets were DEEP, and I'm glad I had a witness to their remarkable depth. You had to see it to believe it.

Attachments

• bullet.JPG
    bullet.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 361
  • deep bullet.JPG
    deep bullet.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 363
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 351
  • finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 358
Good stuff! Man that Gpx sure hits deep. I like the flat eagle I -- might be a poker chip? Enjoyed your blog about the hunt. GL on day 3

Today I invited Keith Leppert to try out the new GPZ detector on the bullet patch I found yesterday. The results were simply amazing. I was thoroughly impressed with the power of that machine. All I can say is eye popping smiley. Between the three of us digging signals found by the GPZ, we recovered an additional 43 bullets in a 20 foot area. You can read many more details of the hunt over at my blog, Detecting Saxapahaw.

Attachments

• excelsior finds.jpg
    excelsior finds.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 291
  • gpz.jpg
    gpz.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 303
  • keith digging.jpg
    keith digging.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 292
Brandy Rock started off great, with a record button day for me and a lot of lead to boot. I ended up with 24 and 1/2 bullets, eight GS eagle coat buttons, and some misc. brass. My favorite find was the kepi buckle, my first. I got into a pit in the Wisconsin Camp right at the end of the day, but I haven't opened it up yet. I'll have to dig it out in the morning. More details for those interested in the story on my blog.

Attachments

• finds2.jpg
    finds2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 286
  • button in plug.JPG
    button in plug.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 288
I'm exhausted, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet, haha. For more of the story, check out the blog.

I detected for short periods at a bunch of different spots today. While I never did settle in on an area to hunker down in, I still managed a pretty decent day of relics. My favorite find of the day is the Eagle D cuff button, even though it's pretty rough. That one is a first for me. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• eagle d cuff.JPG
    eagle d cuff.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 236
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 242
  • farley.JPG
    farley.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 240
I went back to the spot where I dug the Eagle D and really hunkered down. The result was a really nice variety of brass and lead finds. The highlights are the heavily gilded Eagle I coat, and powder flask top. Only one more day - wish us luck!

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 216
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 219
What a way to end DIV week! With an hour and a half left to hunt I found this beautiful US artillery rosette at about a foot and a half down. [emoji2]

I've also included a picture of the entire week's finds. The small case was a one day pre-div hunt. The medium case was the Excelsior 3 day hunt, and the large case was 4 days at Brandy Rock. Over 175 bullets in an 8 day stretch. What a week!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427626669593.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427626669593.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 193
  • uploadfromtaptalk1427627111277.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427627111277.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 184
Awesome finds. Congrats! I will be on a 3 day hunt in Culpeper on the 10th, 11th, and 12th off April. It would be an incredible hunt if I even got a quarter of what you have there.

Back
Top Bottom