They Don’t Know What We Do....

Chipk

Elite Member
I was surprised to learn that some people have no idea how a metal detector works and what it can and CAN NOT do.

I was recently approached about detecting a large park in search of a container with a list of 22,000 names of Floridians killed during WWII. It was buried when this park was dedicated in the 20s. (Why was it buried?). They want to use it for a Veterans Day celebration.

I explained they would need to provide me written permission to hunt this park. Also because I thought this was a government group asking, I wanted protection in the event there might be any damages since I was going to ask for volunteers to help since it’s a large park.

Well it seems they thought I could walk around and see objects underground with my machine (see letter).

Well this helps me understand how to explain what we do better when asking for permissions.

Attachments

• 0BC569B9-EE9E-4A06-B4CA-B14CC823F1BA.jpg
    0BC569B9-EE9E-4A06-B4CA-B14CC823F1BA.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 275
ime, the world is populated almost exclusively with extremely stupid people. I truly wonder how they ever got a passing grade in jr hi science.

ime, the world is populated almost exclusively with extremely stupid people. I truly wonder how they ever got a passing grade in jr hi science.

I've often wondered how some people live so long being so damn dumb? I hold them in utter amazement! They go through their life with their head up their coalchute...You'd think something woulda killed them? The World is a dangerous place! ...Its like damn!...some folks manage to breeze on through in sheer dumbness, without recognizing dangers and not a care in the World....:laughing:..

What? Your machine doesn't have 3D visual of underground objects? :?:

If this container is supposed to be a time capsule, it should either be marked where it is buried, or at least the location recorded/documented. Perhaps an old newspaper article? Local library, VFW, or American Legion records or scrapbook?

I was once asked to help find a time capsul at the site of a now gone high school. They said it was supposed to be thirty feet from the flagpole. Only no one knew where the flagpole used to be. It's still there as far as I know.

I can see how people would have this misconception. They see all these shows on TV were they bring people in with these scanners that are looking for ground disturbance and they display these disturbance on a screen. They just assume that our detectors are a more portable version of these units.

Either that or you have to upgrade to the NOX 1600. :laughing:

Ray

I was surprised to learn that some people have no idea how a metal detector works and what it can and CAN NOT do.

I was recently approached about detecting a large park in search of a container with a list of 22,000 names of Floridians killed during WWII. It was buried when this park was dedicated in the 20s. (Why was it buried?). They want to use it for a Veterans Day celebration.

I explained they would need to provide me written permission to hunt this park. Also because I thought this was a government group asking, I wanted protection in the event there might be any damages since I was going to ask for volunteers to help since it’s a large park.

Well it seems they thought I could walk around and see objects underground with my machine (see letter).

Well this helps me understand how to explain what we do better when asking for permissions.

You might want to repair your post. A list of WW2 veterans buried in the 1920's? I would like to see that trick! (maybe not)

That little mistake jumped out at me. If folks do not understand what I meant, WW2 did not start till 1939. For the USA it did not start till Dec 7 1941. So the list of those killed couldn't be buried in the 1920's.

Reminds me of the riddle, if a plane crashed on the border of USA and Canada, where would they bury the survivors?

Last edited:
You mean the "X" in Xterra doesn't stand for X-ray vision?

My 76-year old mother still calls it a "mine sweeper" or my "Geiger counter", ugh.

What depth are they talking about?

Two box detectors can go pretty deep.

If it's a ferrous target (probably not) my Aqua Sport mag can detect a iron cannonball at about 10 feet in a clear area.

You might want to repair your post. A list of WW2 veterans buried in the 1920's? I would like to see that trick! (maybe not)

That little mistake jumped out at me. If folks do not understand what I meant, WW2 did not start till 1939. For the USA it did not start till Dec 7 1941. So the list of those killed couldn't be buried in the 1920's.

Reminds me of the riddle, if a plane crashed on the border of USA and Canada, where would they bury the survivors?
Now that is funny! Also, I can’t believe some of the previous snobbish replies - I don’t think the group’s expectations are all that unrealistic, c’mon, give ‘em a break. Not like we can all be rocket scientists :lol:

Back
Top Bottom