Nox target pointing

stingray

Elite Member
Am i the only one getting the Nox hard to find its TARGET? - i have the 600 for a few days now and the thing i notice big time is I CAN'T LOCATE my target properly without tearing a wide crater hole just to find the target. I know how to do the "X and the Wiggle method". I've owned several detectors, the wiggle method suit me best but I am challenged by this machine in locating a target. i dont use the wireless headset coz i don't believe it will do me good because of the slight delay. For now i'm tethered old school type till i know how to properly find my target. Your expert technique is highly sought before the neighbor boot me out. Thanks HH - stingray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do some tests at home so you can see where the target falls when you have the coil over the target. I also use my AT PRO pin pointer to locate the target before I even dig the plug to keep the plug down to a small size. I am right on top of the target when I use my pin pointer. I rarely use my detector to pin point. Hope you understand what I am saying ??
Bubbaron Nox 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Do some tests at home so you can see where the target falls when you have the coil over the target. I also use my AT PRO pin pointer to locate the target before I even dig the plug to keep the plug down to a small size. I am right on top of the target when I use my pin pointer. I rarely use my detector to pin point. Hope you understand what I am saying ??

Bubbaron Nox 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Yes i have done that - believe me that is the first thing i did. I just find it challenging locating my target after a few hours out with this machine than my other/previous ones...thanks for the input.

Pinpoint works pretty well for me after I got used to it. I cross it too and it works either way. I can get it inside of a couple of inches.

BCD

I'm mostly using the wiggle method and cross targeting. It seems to be the fastest recovery method for me. I use a probe for recovery on shallow targets and verify the location with my pinpointer before probing.
If the pinpointer cannot find it, then I know that I need to cut a plug.

If it's a very shallow target, you will get three separate signals from the 11" coil, as you sweep it over the target, so be aware of that.

I have also had some issues with pinpointing with the 600. When you are in someone's nice yard, getting to within a couple of inches just isn't quite good enough. Other detectors I've used (some, anyway) could put you right on top of the target. It's OK to get within a couple inches if the target is shallow enough to be picked up by my pinpointer, but if it is a deeper target (the kind you WANT to find), well, maybe I will start to understand the 600's language.

I was digging big holes when i first got my nox. I turned the sensitivity down some. Typically between 14-20. More time on the machine now, I can be right on top of the object, but it took several outings.

95597a806033ab825634ca44142f1b88.jpg

I found out that the best way to pinpoint it was listening to the highest tone then looking at the center of the coil is where the target would be. Spot on now... few days ago i only hear the tone BUT couldn't find where the target was.

Here is what i've found in an hour hunt this morning. After knowing how to pinpoint with the Nox 600 (wiggle/X method doesn't work for me with this machine, i'm way too off to the target). I went and hunt to a place where i had pounded with my Deus i mean 3 different coils...just to note that with the NOX600 i haven't tweak it further. Only ground balancing it and +/- on the sens, recovery 2 on Park2.
The finds: 2 wheaties one very old (green patina) and one i don't know what yr since it was mix with the clads...Nozzle hose, glass ornate rings, fashion ring, rivet and a few other trash...

Minelab has some great info on using the nox here.
https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-4
Its the 4th part of a 4 part article, there are links to the other 3. Great info on the nox, target id becomes better when you lower sensetivity. I am beginning to see how this detector has a very wide range of uses and having it setup for where your hunting and what your looking for is very important. I had my best clad hunt yet with over 7$ last week, in about 2 1/2 hours. I dug very little trash compared to how much clad i found. Park1, noise canceled and auto ground balance, sensitvity 15/16. Dont forget to raise your coil in the air when you do noise cancel, im new and did not know this until i read it somewhere. I think when you run the sensitivity high, trash sounds better, and can mess with id of target objects close together. I find when trash is removed, target id is very accurate. Also been paying more attention to sound, coins ring pretty loud and clear. Hope the above article helps some. I love my nox, cannot wait to get it wet, and for my 800 to show up so i can bring a friend out with me.

If its a shallow target , you will get 3 hits on it or atleast two....coil edge , center , coil edge......gotta make sure you are pinpointing the right one. Anything past 3 or 4 inches though and I notice the sweet spot may be slightly farther back and slightly to the left but once you get a mental image of the sweet spot its pretty accurate......not ideal , but its something I can work with given the advantages of the machine.

If its a shallow target , you will get 3 hits on it or atleast two....coil edge , center , coil edge......gotta make sure you are pinpointing the right one. Anything past 3 or 4 inches though and I notice the sweet spot may be slightly farther back and slightly to the left but once you get a mental image of the sweet spot its pretty accurate......not ideal , but its something I can work with given the advantages of the machine.

You are correct. If you get the triple beep, the target is shallow. To find which one of the three beeps it is, just keep slowly raising the coil as you swing until you hear the single beep. Then sit back down on top of the target and locate it, then pinpoint it.

To pinpoint a target with the equinox, I locate the target and then go to pinpoint. The I find the left/right center and mentally mark it. Next I use the deep hitting White's TRX pinpointer and just drag the centerline of where the coil was. This will precisely locate the target unless it is too deep for the pinpointer to reach. If it is too deep for the pinpointer, I just X the target and find it. The equinox seems to pinpoint deep targets accurately, at least to me it does.

Using the TRX pinpointer is the fastest, easiest way for me. Since the TRX only pinpoints straight out the end, it will locate accurately. Plus, the ratcheting gives a great indication on the depth. Double D coils are harder and slower to pinpoint with anyways. So I quickly lock on to the left/right position and use the TRX to find the target.

I have given up trying to pinpoint with my Nox 600 - I have a Fisher F-Point PP and it’s much faster to simply use it - it also provides excellent info on sizing and probable depth which the Nox doesn’t.

I got my 600 on Friday. Pinpoint is a feature that I never use on any detector. I just turn 90 degrees and “X” my target. But that doesn’t seem that accurate with the NOX. So I have been forced to use pinpointing. I still have to “X” my target in pinpoint, but it is dead on. Definitely a little slower than “X”ing with my AT pro. But it has proven very effective and accurate.

I was wondering about all these post about pinpoint issues before I got my Nox. Now I don't understand why everyone is having trouble pinpointing with it . Every time I pinpoint the target with mine it is always dead center of the coil , and I mean everytime!?!? Are maybe some of them defective? No issues here.

I was wondering about all these post about pinpoint issues before I got my Nox. Now I don't understand why everyone is having trouble pinpointing with it . Every time I pinpoint the target with mine it is always dead center of the coil , and I mean everytime!?!? Are maybe some of them defective? No issues here.

I’m guessing they aren’t all the same. I bought my 600 used from a guy who owned a 600 and an 800. He said the pinpoint on the 800 was slightly better.

Back
Top Bottom