Floating Sifter...Yay or Nay? UPDATE Made Sifter

Sifter

Just wondering why I have not seen anybody make one out of PVC pipe and elbows and plastic screen tied on a rope to your waist

Just wondering why I have not seen anybody make one out of PVC pipe and elbows and plastic screen tied on a rope to your waist

Thats pretty much what im planning , but whats a good and durable plastic mesh that will hold up well enough and have the right size holes ? Regular old screen wont hold up its gonna have to be kinda resilient.

The gold panning classifiers i made work good and hold up well but they are made with steel hardware cloth.

The lake and river bottoms around here have lots of clay. It's hard to break up clumps in the scoop so I use a screen. Since I also prospect, mine is a round 1/4 inch classifier tied in a small inner tube. It works very well and is pretty stable. HH

Different strokes for different folks. My " Mentor" Cupajo got me off on the right foot when I got into this and I attribute whatever success I have to following his guidance. Yup, a sifter is one of them. I use it 90% of the time when water hunting.

We hunt mostly in the mud, rocks , clay, gravel , shells and whatever doesn't go through your scoop, and a non metallic sifter is the only way to go. IMHO

Eliminates walking to shore every time you have a target in your scoop that doesn't want to sift out.

The ONLY time I don't use it is when hunting in a sandy beach which isn't very often.

Did these several years ago, to heavy.... Light weigh is the way to go. PVC your talking 6 to 8...
Netting can be purchased at McMaster Carr..cheap..less then 2 dollars a foot and you need about 3 feet

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9314t33/=r7z82q

Here is what I have now after lugging those heavies around one year..less then 3 pounds, teathered and stays within easy reach.

Mine uses PVC pipe and elbows. Then you can ziptie whichever screen you want inside of it. If you are using something that can scratch or poke you, then cut open some pool-noodles and ziptie those over the outside.

Different strokes for different folks. My " Mentor" Cupajo got me off on the right foot when I got into this and I attribute whatever success I have to following his guidance. Yup, a sifter is one of them. I use it 90% of the time when water hunting.

We hunt mostly in the mud, rocks , clay, gravel , shells and whatever doesn't go through your scoop, and a non metallic sifter is the only way to go. IMHO

Eliminates walking to shore every time you have a target in your scoop that doesn't want to sift out.

The ONLY time I don't use it is when hunting in a sandy beach which isn't very often.

Great looking sifter!

I did the inner tube and livestock feed bowl project.
It was a post on here about 3-4 years ago.

It just hangs on my detecting gear wall.
Thinking about using it again but with a dive flag.

I've been inbetween the skier and the boat.
Chest deep water, they never saw me.

Im guessing its made from the bottom of a bucket or something like that , are all those holes hand drilled or is there something you can get already like that ?

Im guessing its made from the bottom of a bucket or something like that , are all those holes hand drilled or is there something you can get already like that ?

Yes, it's made from the bottom of a 35 gallon poly barrel. I used white because it's easier to see the targets. Also, below is a pic of the first sifter I made using a sheet bought from McMaster ( quite expensive though ). I gave it to CJ when I made my new one.

I used the sheet with the holes and bolted it to the bottom of my new sifter as a template and drilled all the 5/32" holes by hand. Took quite some time but I like the finish product and that's all that counts.

005.JPG

003.JPG

A sifter can save lotsa time and as an emergency life raft perhaps even your life!!

Still use "Ol Blue" every time I'm water hunting if there is enough water to float her. Many thanks again Frank!!!:yes:

No one has ever taken the care and gotten the results building a sifter that you got my Friend!!

Nearly bomb proof and just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny!!

Heres Cupajo set-up.

This is the sifter I made and used several years before my Friend Frank gave me his first draft at sifter buildiing. He took my basic concepts and ran with them creating a much stronger and useful sifter than mine had been.

Heres mine when it was it was just about done.When i hunt on the north shore every scoop is filled with small rocks.Its either use a sifter or walk back to shore every target.Its one more thing to carry until your in the water but i wont water hunt without it...

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_120643.jpg
    IMG_20140324_120643.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 521
Hoping to get ahold of a bread pallet or equivalent material so i can get started on a build. I asked around town at various grocery stores and was not able to get one. Its funny how when you dont need something you see them all around but when you need it there are none to be found.:lol:

With the talk of how the sifters can be either heavy or just something elsr to carry around i wonder if anybody has thought to attach shoulder straps somehow so you can wear it like a backpack at times. This might not help in every situation but might help in some.

With the talk of how the sifters can be either heavy or just something elsr to carry around i wonder if anybody has thought to attach shoulder straps somehow so you can wear it like a backpack at times. This might not help in every situation but might help in some.

I prefer to move fast and use minimal gear, like a treasure hunting cheetah. :cool: :D ;)

Thats not a bad idea this 1 spot i wanna hunt is a real hike from where i can park.Being able to where my sifter like a back pack would be perfect...

Both Cupajo and myself run our scoop handle through the handle of the sifter and carry it on our shoulder. Neither of us have any problem carrying it this way even at long distances.

Last edited:
I have the tow rope set up so it can hook up to 2 corners on the bread tray. I put it over my head and 1 shoulder and carry it like a laptop bag.
1 hand holding the detector, 1 hand for the scoop and the sifter around my neck. Sometimes I have to hike a couple of hours to the beach. If I have extra stuff I can tie it to the sifter

I use a full size Morey boogie board...

Having a place to dump your scoop out is a must have where I hunt, the bottom is about as thick as a cold stick of butter.. Anyone who has hunted with me, even once, came back with something on the next hunt.. Where I hunt it is mostly sticky clay. You could shake your scoop for 2 months and get nowhere.. I usually need to shake out the big chunk on the board and then start braking it in half, and half, and half, till I isolate the target, then squeeze the target out of the last greasy chunk... Also smaller .22 rounds, splitshot, and stud earrings will fall through the scoop if you are not quick to get it on the board...

Also, sometimes if your dealing with multiple targets, it is nice to have a place to dump a couple scoops out to check them out...

It just tows behind me, also nice to know, I have something that will save my life nearby if I were to step in a hole while wearing some weight...

I'm not necessarily using it as intended but you can see it in this video...

Once you recover your target, just flip the board over and keep on keeping on...

<*)))>{

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom