Royal Caribbean Cruise Line--Labadee

Royal Carib says no

I was told by the life guards at the beach in Labadee, no metal detecting. I would still check with Royal Caribbean

A sight that has lots of information on the island

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pi...yal caribbean&eq=labadee&etslf=7836&term_meta[]=labadee%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=haiti%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=royal%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=caribbean%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined :detector: I would definatly take it the worse they could say is no , because it is a private island no government to deal with.

I was told by the life guards at the beach in Labadee, no metal detecting. I would still check with Royal Caribbean

Ah, the pressing question gets a "safe" answer. But then we have this:

I know of people who have hunted it many times.

Which must only mean those md'rs didn't ask enough life guards "Can I ?" Shame on them, eh ?

Last edited:
Come to think of it I hunted there as well. My friend actually has a letter from RC saying that it is ok and he takes it with him just in case. no shame when permission has been granted!

I would say GO FOR IT. Also, if it is anything like the private island that I hunted, it will be covered up in targets. I literally had to block everything above nickel and below penny just to keep the noise down. I didn't find any PM, but it was a lot of fun for me and I'll do it again.

BCD

I'll ask wilson to check his helping phriendly book for an answer, but only if Tela is too busy listening to Mikes Groove.

Come to think of it I hunted there as well. My friend actually has a letter from RC saying that it is ok and he takes it with him just in case. no shame when permission has been granted!

And I'll bet that ...even from RC, you could get 2 different answers, from two different RC employee/rep's. Just based on their mental perceptions of it, their mood, the way the question is phrased, etc... Just as in 2 different life-guards will give 2 different answers.

Why do md'rs feel the need to grovel ? Just go for pete's sake. Since when is md'ing so evil and dangerous that it needs permission and sanction ?

The very notion that someone thinks they need to ask "can I... ?" Simply implies that something is amiss or harmful with this hobby, that it needs permission. Would you have asked permission to fly a frisbee ? (might poke someone's eye out). I don't get it.

permission

Ask royal carribean for a letter giving you permission. Still not sure about Labadee. I do know security getting back on the ship asked me for mine in the Bahamas. Better safe then sorry. Ask RC for the letter

Ask royal carribean for a letter giving you permission....

And to tell someone in bureaucracy to "give that to me in writing", is the FASTEST way to get a "no".

.... I do know security getting back on the ship asked me for mine in the Bahamas....

What ? Just to hold in separate storage somewhere ? What does that have to do with the ability to use it on the beach , once in port ? And to whatever extent some "security" on the boarding-of-the-ship felt the need to do that (or thought you can't detect), I'll bet you dollars to donuts that notion was born out of well-meaning md'rs in the past, who went grovelling to them for permissions. Asking "can I?" questions that you suggest. (because, certainly our hobby is evil, and this detector is dangerous). Thus ramping up their concerns. The detector might interfere with navigation equipment after all, Eh ?

.... Better safe then sorry. ....

Why can't someone, if they are skittish, simply look up the laws of the land/beach in the place they are going to ? Why isn't that "safe" ? If there's no law or rule that says "no md'ing", then ... what could be more safe and law abiding than that ?

Would you ask if you can make sand castles ? (that constitutes "deface" and "alter" and "disturb" after all). Would you ask if you can fly frisbees, and tell them to put the "yes" into writing ? (that constitutes throwing dangerous projectiles after all, and could poke someone's eye out).

I'm headed down there this summer. I am bringing my detector. I've detected Perfect Day Coco Cay several times with no issues so I can only assume Labadee is the same.

.... I've detected Perfect Day Coco Cay several times with no issues .....

Even though you had-no-issues, and no one cared, yet I'll bet you that if you gave me 30 minutes, to make some calls, and send some emails, that I could find someone there to say "no" to this.

So the fact that you "had no issues", merely means : You didn't ask long enough and hard enough. Shame on you ! :laughing:

Even though you had-no-issues, and no one cared, yet I'll bet you that if you gave me 30 minutes, to make some calls, and send some emails, that I could find someone there to say "no" to this.

So the fact that you "had no issues", merely means : You didn't ask long enough and hard enough. Shame on you ! :laughing:
About the same as Doctor shopping I guess. Took me along time to agree with Tom on permissions. Guys gotta be tired of sounding like a broken record.

I used to be paranoid about asking permissions but some guy, from Cali, has taught me better. Seriously, I was all over that island and even talked to several of the workers. No one said boo..

Going on a cruise in December to Georgetown Grand Cayman and to Cozumel. Would be interesting to see what we could find there. I plan on going on a beach stop lunch tour and my Vanquish might go along.

Back
Top Bottom