A Passive Hobby?

goldpaninut

Having spent the last 45 years in Alaska up until 2014, I never had the chance to use my detector for coins. Gold nuggets on the other hand was a different story! So when I retired & moved to Oregon in 2014 I tried to make up for lost time on those coins. I've been on 97 hunts since then, and today I turned in $547 in clad change and zinc pennies with two jars left to turn in, not counting 12 lbs of pre-82 pennies! Not bad for a passive hobby......LOL

Nice! Someday I'll cash my clad in, not sure how much I have, but it is several jars and bowls full

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have maybe 70 pounds of clad, plus finds on about every flat shelf at home. No brag. I knew I was hitting 50lbs for two years.

My siblings won't surely understand if I died suddenly, and they had to come in to manage my property.

Maybe this means we are a "strange hobbiest" in metal detecting. I woulda thought that way before I picked up the hobby

Attachments

• IMG_4812_zps8ddbce79.jpg
    IMG_4812_zps8ddbce79.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 242
I would say

You spent a lot of time just digging clad, when you had a real opportunity in Alaska to score big bucks with a Gold machine on nugget's, i often wondered if i lived their -what could i find, bet your kicking your but wright now, for What If , have you ever thought of buying a GPX5000 and moving back :?: I know it's tough living their, but a big pay day, could pay off, maybe have a small place their , go up in the summer ? what are your thought's , Earl

Wow... 0.1%, not very many of us I guess...

<°)))>{

Imagine the entire community of everybody who buys into this hobby in a year. Many quit. Many slow way down. Then there is the hardcore hunters. I would safely state that 0.1% is a safe margin for anyone who counts on literally "paying for a machine" when you figure in any average of $2.50/gal gas, wear and tare.

Bet if we asked the wives about repaying what we spent...the house would get kinda loud in laughter

I tell her I spend less, and make more than those guys at the bar, or golf course... I'm in the black very well with MD...

<°)))>{

PAssive ? 😠 Who you calling passive ?
You talkin to me?

Oh you are? 😳.
Well I guess that's ok with me..🙄 I'm not lookin for no trouble .
Welcome to the forum. ,
Dew

Imagine the entire community of everybody who buys into this hobby in a year. Many quit. Many slow way down. Then there is the hardcore hunters. I would safely state that 0.1% is a safe margin for anyone who counts on literally "paying for a machine" when you figure in any average of $2.50/gal gas, wear and tare.

Bet if we asked the wives about repaying what we spent...the house would get kinda loud in laughter

I wish more would quit here in CT ;)

Earl.....I'm not kicking my butt or anything......LOL I never detected for coins in Alaska, gold nuggets only. I started detecting in Alaska for gold in 1971 and did excellent over the next 45 years.....even with all the regulations and lack of detectable areas due to private claims. I started out with a Whites Goldmaster (1971) and ended up with a Whites MXT All Pro. I found enough gold with my old Whites 4000D to put myself through 2 years of college, at the old price of gold during the early 80s. And.....my stash of nuggets is currently helping me through retirement. Finding gold nuggets over the years made me who I am today! As far as moving back.....its too expensive for the average retiree. I'm from Valdez, Alaska where it costs $1000 a month for just utilities, $1500 a month for groceries, $2000+ monthly for housing, which doesn't even take into consideration truck payments, insurance, medical care, entertainment, or gas money! I go back in the summer to some of my favorite detecting streams where civilization hasn't found yet, and do very well. Usually not IN the creeks though, the nuggets are usually on the hillsides in the ancient stream beds. I'll never get Alaska out of my blood and I surely wish I could go back permanently, but the older you get the longer the winters become. After spending 45 years shoveling snow 6 feet deep or more.....my body is protesting.....LOL Here in southern Oregon the air is dirty, too many people, WAY too many regulations, and unlike my nugget creeks in Alaska, the parks and schools are almost detected out. Sometimes its just plain boring down here! And tame......the tameness is a lot of what gets to me. There is challenge up there.....something to keep you going......down here everything is tame. I suggest anyone who wants to go to Alaska nugget hunting only do it in a recreational manner. If you go up there thinking you could make a living doing it......you're dead wrong. Don't believe what you see on "gold rush", its mostly made up. Know a claim owner before you go, and have his blessings to detect on his claim! Not all creeks in Alaska carry gold, especially along the road system. Regrets??? Not a one.....only thing is I wish I hadn't got old so fast.....LOL

I'm not calling anyone "passive", I was only repeating what so many non detectorists have told me about the hobby. Our hobby is not liked by MANY people, and I'm not sure why so many of them call it passive.

Hey administrator, I'll let you in on my gold nugget finding secrets if you let me in on your ring finding skills!

I cleaned all my clad and turned it in when it hit 50 lbs. Getting older I didn't want anyone else to have to deal with converting it. From now on, when it hits $20 its going into the bank......LOL

Back
Top Bottom