Racetrack tearout ?

Semtav

Elite Member
Iiiiii
293db9905c75d3caebaa77012c968789.jpg

Ok , not exactly a tearout, but the closest I can find.
Stopped by the fairgrounds before I left for home Friday and noticed someone had disked up an area, probably for a tree line.
Decided what the heck, I'll hit it before I leave, so I got out and didn't walk ten paces in when I found a 35 wheat penny. Not long after I came across a 60 Washington. Thought I'd hit the motherlode !! Never found anything else in it but a bunch of 30-06 brass and some bullets. Found the 64 nickle and clad dime just out of the tearout. Sure was wishing that was a silver dime to make a nice set.

Came back yesterday and after it cooled down last night I went to an area in the racetrack I hadn't hit since last fall. found 4 wheat pennies, ( 11, 45, 46, and 51) before it got dark.

Decided to go back after I got done this morning and expand on the area. No luck for about half an hour and then suddenly, I got a good tone. Set my plug aside and checked it and had a good tone, and also still had a tone in the hole. Nothing in the plug, but I had sat it right on something. Found a 52 Washington in the hole and a 54 Rosie under the plug. After I got everything put away, I checked the area again and still had a signal, so I dug again and came up with a 39 Washington. MY first Silver Spill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Man was I stoked !!!! Not too far away, I found a 42 wheat, then a little farther I got a good 20 vdi on my MXT which usually means a beavertail or a nickle. Turned out to be a nickel. 43 model, and I was surprised to see a P on the back. My first War nickle !!!!!! I was really surprised these don't ring up as silver. I thought they have silver in them.

All in all, one of my best hunts !!!!:digginahole:

1baac6f384fb83d0682bbe961abbf1b3.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's a great hunt! Congrats on your several "firsts"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice work there Semtav! Yeah regarding War nickels...They ring up like a regular nickel..I dont know why what with them being 35% silver, but they do...They are worth @$1 each, so thats a great find! ....

It would appear to me, looking at that wide open endless field, that there are WAY more old coins in that place. I don't care who has been there, if you've found what you have found ALREADY, the hunt is nowhere near the end.
Keep it going, there HAVE to be others! Congrats on the firsts!:grin:

It would appear to me, looking at that wide open endless field, that there are WAY more old coins in that place. I don't care who has been there, if you've found what you have found ALREADY, the hunt is nowhere near the end.

No doubt, I bet there are a lot more to be found. Congrats!

ya can't argue with finding silver :) Anytime tractors disturb ground in old spots, is the time to be swinging !

Up til now, I never found anything good in that direction. only shell casings and a rare clad coin. Need to hunt it a little better I guess.

All my good finds have been the other direction

0a9981156f6f956aa6e6c03868f7203e.jpg

That's a great hunt! Congrats on your several "firsts"!

Thanks jwp

Really nice work there Semtav! Yeah regarding War nickels...They ring up like a regular nickel..I dont know why what with them being 35% silver, but they do...They are worth @$1 each, so thats a great find! ....

Thanks Mud, I'm fortunate that this spot doesn't take a lot of skill to hunt. just gotta get over the coin is about it.

Congrats on some dang nice finds!

Thanks BBsGal

No doubt, I bet there are a lot more to be found. Congrats!

Thanks woodz, I hope there are. Still looking for the elusive half !!

Nice finds for sure.:yes:

Thanks metal !!!

Not alot of chances to hit place with the turf torn up, keep at, it's showing promise so far!

thanks. seemed to work that way.

Excellent hunting congrats!

thanks cellr

That's a pretty cool place to hunt. Nice finds!

yea it is. and convenient. Thanks

Nice hunt and congrats on the finds.

Thanks Jam

ya can't argue with finding silver :) Anytime tractors disturb ground in old spots, is the time to be swinging !

Evidently, but that goes against conventional wisdom doesn't it ??

Last edited:
Just an update on my racetrack finds
Top coin (51) I found in Miles at Govt lot
middle coins (53) and (40) and earring I found in my racetrack last week
Bottom dime (46) found tonight at fairgrounds in an area I thought was all hunted out by the buildings. Never found anything there but a couple recent clad coins. They did a little dirtwork to replace a hydrant so I hit that and found nothing. Stepped off the sidewalk and found it a foot out toward the parking lot. Guess I will have to come back and look this area over a lot better.

8b34ac160d374e551bf296448757618b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom