What is your key to success?

Jeff R

Elite Member
Let us know what works for you!

* What kind of targets are you mainly looking for? (relics, coins, jewelery)
* How much research do you do prior to going out on a hunt?
* What kind of research do you do?
* Once on the ground what do you look for?
* How did you come across your best producing spot?

Jeff R said:

Historic maps of the prospective area are my number one source of research material, primarily I look for:

1.  Sanborn maps of the state (these were historical street-level maps of the cities showing building locations/use and the maps are usually offered over the Internet by libraries).
2.  Aerial photos of the area (current aerials you can find on the Internet through various mapping sites like Google Earth and for free access to historic aerials dating back to the 1930's I would recommend visiting your local FSA office http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app?state=us&agency=fsa )
3.  For property ownership records and plat maps I would contact the Register of Deeds/County Clerk/Recorder's Office from the county of interest to see what they might have.
4.  Topographic maps (Digital Raster Graphic or "DRG" maps) that are available through online mapping sites are extremely useful in showing old locations of schools etc in a certain area.  I use http://www.lat-long.com/ for this purpose, select a state and enter a county, enter historical as the location name.
4.  Finally, the local historical society in the town/county of interest could help answer specific questions.

I enjoy the research aspect of MD'ing, if you are having trouble finding research material on a specific property/city/county, msg me and I might be able to help.

Happy hunting!

Old coins, old jewelry

2 hours to 2 days

old postcards, old maps, library books

Once in the area, I dig the first ten signals, just to see how the detector is responding. The first couple of coins you find generally dates the last time the property was used.

A person saw us detecting and suggested it.

Carol "Once in the area, I dig the first ten signals, just to see how the detector is responding. The first couple of coins you find generally dates the last time the property was used."

That is very interesting.

and

NTM said "Finally, the local historical society in the town/county of interest could help answer specific questions."

They are a great resource for sure. But I find them tough to work with. Although one of my neighboring towns historical society president all but gave his daughter to me for helping him locate a wagon trail. The several others I have approached were cold to say the least.

Jeff,
I joined my local historical society. Now I have networked into 6 neighboring hist. societies, and am being requested to hunt historical properties. I have developed a list for this season. The local society has even given me a "position of importance" (for lack of a better term) that makes me a contact person for anything to do with MD'ing.

You may want to consider this as a backdoor approach, and I have found that since joining, absolutely no one turns their noses up on me. Oh yeah, I also presented them with a few finds such as really old plow blade, pump handle, shovel head, all C. 1700's.

I can also see where this will not only provide sites, but the research is being done for me.

Old coins, old jewelry, and relics of old logging camps.

2 hours up to six months.

old maps, library archives, talk to locals.

I look for the signs of old foundations and places where people would gather. Try to visualize how daily life went on there.

Sometimes by just driving by, word of mouth, and from reading articles in the news paper.
Almost forgot to mention that I also talk to a lot of deer and small game hunters. They are out in the bush quite a bit, and from time to time they come across old places tucked away back in the woods off the beaten path.

Gold ummm and Gold :D

I research every beach I hunt the water in, I spend hours looking at old postcards, searching the library for old pictures and even talking to old timers and history books about the towns these beaches are in.

See above ;)

Is shells and gravel considered ground? ;)

Research, my favorite beach has a rep of being trashy, a dirty word for a PI but if you know where to go there is little if any trash and I like the fact others think the way they do.. I generally hunt this beach during the day when normal people are working and never hunt them on weekends... I don't like sharing.

my best searches have come from my own memory. places my parents took me when i was a kid. places i played with other neighborhood kids.

there was a free movie shown every tuesday night at the local park on a screen like a drive-in movie has. everyone was on a blanket, same as a beach.

waited in line for what seemed like hours for the roller skating rink to open every friday night. (i got over $500 in silver there)

a country restaurant that held dances on the weekend parked their customers in a vacant lot next door. always did the best the farthest from the entrance.

I do tend to go for coins more than anything.Where i live was inhabited by the Romans and much later in the medievel times they built a city here so i dont really need to do much research as i know what went on here and anywhere where i detect would be a good site (maybe i am lucky in that way).Having said that a lot of the area is protected by the English Heritage so its not that easy to get permission.Some of the local farmers dont mind me going on to there land

Back
Top Bottom