First large cent and some buttons

waltr

Elite Member
At the 1800's farm again on 4 july. Found a Matron head large cent, 1822.
It has a star scribed on the cheek of the lady. The lines are perfectly straight and square so not done free hand. I am sure I have seen another coin posted with a similar scribe marks but can not remember where.
Anyone seen this and/or know anything about why this might have been done?

Next are a few buttons found. The dime is for size reference only (not found with detector). The two top ones are all brass and hollow. The one on the right is without a back.
The two on bottom left are steel. I did electrolysis on these to remove the caked rust. Was surprised at the copper color. The bottom right one is brass without a backing. No text on the back can be read.
These seem to be 1800's.
The other coin I found there is a 1944 Lincoln (my first Wheat cent). This is an interesting site, the 1822 and 1944 were three feet apart. The oldest coin there is a 1723 KG half penny.

Attachments

• IMG_9848 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9848 (Medium).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_9849 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9849 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9850 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9850 (Medium).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_9851 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9851 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 230
Awesome old Cent!
I would say that it was "counterstruck" in other words a tool was set and hit with a hammer several times.:yes:
I'm not sure why folks deface coins, perhaps if you find a few more like this, they were used as game pieces, like checkers????

This is sick. Just sick. And so typical : An east coast guy gets his first wheatie, on the same day that (ho hum yawn) he gets his first largie as well. Ssshhheeesskk. Large cents, busts, colonial coppers, etc... in every sand box over there. Sick Sick Sick :sissyfight:

This is sick. Just sick. And so typical : An east coast guy gets his first wheatie, on the same day that (ho hum yawn) he gets his first largie as well. Ssshhheeesskk. Large cents, busts, colonial coppers, etc... in every sand box over there. Sick Sick Sick :sissyfight:

lol
But I'll never find any of those gold nuggets you guys have rolling out of the hills everywhere.

Exactly. That would make my year. Or 5 or 10.

(And nice finds for your 100th post)

Awesome old Cent!
I would say that it was "counterstruck" in other words a tool was set and hit with a hammer several times.:yes:
I'm not sure why folks deface coins, perhaps if you find a few more like this, they were used as game pieces, like checkers????

Thanks. I have been doing image searches and found other LC with 'counterstruck' marks for sale. This is also called a counter stamp'.
More research to do.

Back
Top Bottom