Tumbling Clad

Coindigger1960

since its been to hot to get much hunting done, I have a bunch of clad that I would like to clean. tried the putting them in hot peroxide, then washing them in baking soda. A lot of work with not so great results. I have a pretty good tumbler that I used for tumbling stones, but I could not find homes for them so I don't tumble so much. I would rather be out Hunting coins :D I used ceramic pellets so I have an abundance of those to use. For those of you that tumble your finds and coins, what is the ratio of stone to water to coins?
What kind of soap and how much, and the length of time to tumble? Boy I asked a lot of questions didn't I LOL!
Thanks in advance!

Here's the way I do it in my HF tumbler. I put a small layer of aquarium gravel down then a layer of clad, repeat until about 3/4 full. Add a table spoon of table salt then cover with white vinegar. Shake well, then tumble for 25 minutes, shake again then another 25 minutes. Pour out over a piece of metal hardware cloth with 1/2" openings. Rinse the coins with water really well. They come out looking like you just got them from the bank. Do not mix pennies with the clad. Just use one drop of Dawn soap with water for them.

my method for tumbling is this:
fill my tumbler 1/2 full with aquarium gravel, then put coins in until 3/4 full.

add water to cover all plus a little more. then add about 1/2 teaspoon dawn dish detergent.

put lid on - make sure its tight. tumble for about 2 hrs. check a few coins, repeat if not happy with results.

strain out coins from gravel and dry

do pennys separately from other coins

Back
Top Bottom