1st time really going out and thoughts on it.

DeerhunterSD

Suffice it to say I found lots of junk! I couldn't go everywhere I wanted because of some flooding but I hit up an old park, home site and a field where a historical topo told me therd was once a house. I got in about 5-6 hours total.
First off, I am amazed by the amount of metal in the ground at any given location! I seldom took 2 steps without a tone(almost always iron). I finally notched out FE and manged to find lots of shell casings and aluminum. No old coins unfortunately.
Overall, it was a little discouraging but I'm still learning and am a patient person. Once I figure out how to upload my photos I will post the nicest of my finds.

Keep at it this is how we All start !!!

Yep. I can't tell you how much junk I dug when I first started, learning the machine. Heck, I still dig up a lot of junk. When you finally dig up something cool, you realize that digging all that junk was worth it.

2pDeCMB

I can't seem to upload the photos from my phone using the attachment button but hopefully this link works. I believe one item is a tag or button off of a sewing machine that was produced in the late 19th century. Another is a suspender buckle I believe is from the 1880's. Not exactly mind blowing finds but as much trash as I dug these will do.

https://imgur.com/a/2pDeCMB

And the part with the pulley also looks like a sewing machine part.
A few nice finds.

I also dig lots of iron. Check my 1800's farm finds. I posted pictures of All finds starting in post #16. Some of the iron stuff is interesting and can be important like the 1700's fork and spoons.
The more you dig the more good stuff you find.

90 percent of what i dig is complete trash. Just part of the game

Congrats on starting - keep trying! Although experience and a decent detector help somewhat, success in this hobby is mostly about perseverance and luck.

As others have said, 90+% of what we dig is trash. When you read the posts on this site it can feel like everyone is making amazing finds, but remember that only the good hunts get posted - you don't hear about the rest. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom