Detecting a University or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Clad

Jodo_Kast501

So I've gotten permission to detect a local university that was founded in 1919. The campus is relatively small, but 7 acres is plenty for a metal detector! I've been studying early yearbooks and aerial photos to identify the oldest areas of the school. The main problem is that the university has grown exponentially since it was founded a century ago. With that growth came the removal of the oldest buildings and now the oldest building on campus probably dates to the 1960s.

What I have found is clad. Lots of clad. I've made six trips there so far and come away with 370 coins and about $25. I actually had my best clad day ever today: $9.04. I know that's chump change to a lot of the mega-cladders out there, but it's great for me!

I have also found a few foreign coins, like the 10 cent Cayman Islands coin and the Ukrainian 2 kopek in the photos. I didn't find any silver until trip #4. But I have now found a bit of silver: a 1960s Bell Trading Post sterling ring and a 1936 Mercury dime.

I will be making quite a few more trips there over the summer and am looking forward to a hefty clad payout at the end.

vgDUAvHl.jpg

lzB9Me7l.jpg

iTmXw3jl.jpg

Last edited:
With clad amounts that thick, have you thought about just cruising for quarter TID's only ? And just passing the pennies/dimes ?

And as for lack of old coins: Assuming you're on un-disturbed lawns, perhaps you could just skip all shallow signals (kiss clad goodbye) and only dig the coin signals that are 7" or more ?

I notice that when I start digging all the shallow clad, that my brain becomes subconsciously tuned to the loud "bongs". And pretty soon, I don't even hear the deep old whispers. So it's almost like you "can't have the best of both worlds". Or maybe it's just me who can't multi-task, doh! :roll:

I actually have done some cherrypicking of quarter signals in large part because the other signals were just so numerous. I probably should just take a day of digging only 6"+ signals and see what comes out.

I agree that digging for clad makes me lazy and massively biases me toward those loud, shallow signals! It's a totally different style of digging.

Dig all the clad out, wait a month and go back in with a different detector. You might surprise yourself what was missed or masked by the other stuff. Then go back a month later with the first detector or even a third detector.

That's not a bad haul....I'm hoping to get permission to detect my daughter's college. Not sure how receptive they'll be, but they're right on Lake Michigan, so I figured I'd detect the beach and shallow water, and hopefully find a class ring that I can return to the Dean's office...and use that as an "in" to detect the rest of the 80 acre campus...

Excellent work! My best one-day clad collection was $3.14 so what you collected is a very respectable haul in my opinion. I'm awaiting permission to detect my kids' elementary school now that school is over for the summer.

That's a lot of digging there amigo, good exercise and getting paid for it, don't you just love this hobby? Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom