Bird Brained? For Some, That Could Be A Compliment.

Longhair

Elite Member
The complex thought required to do what he does should give you some insight regarding how much primal functionality the general population has lost through technological advancement. How long do you think that it would take for some people to figure out the puzzle?

A third the people I know would starve to death before they figured that out. Half of them would give up and just sit down to wait to starve after the first hour.

Really cool !!! That bird definitely has some smarts.

Don't know if you ever attended the Bird Show at the Texas State Fair but it was amazing to see what they trained birds to do. One of the highlights, is at the end of the show, they have a crow that will come and take paper money from your hand and then deposit it in a clear collection box with a slot cut in the top.

They aren't as dumb as people think. :D

When I was a kid I remember reading a Ranger Rick article about the smartness of birds, specifically crows and ravens. It said that if the shell of a nut is too hard for the bird to crack, it will place the nut in the path of a vehicle so that the vehicle will run over the nut. It will then collect and eat the pieces of nut. They are also smart enough to pull up unattended ice fishing lines when they see the line moving. They use their beak and their foot to pull up the line then eat the fish off the end of it.

One has only to look at a parrot who learns to mimic the complex variations of the human voice to see how smart birds can be. Not only do these birds mimic such sounds, they can connect meaning to the sounds.

That is one smart bird! Of course he was trained incrementally step by step but still amazing. I have 5 quaker parrots, each one smart in their own area, but I always wanted to rescue a baby crow and teach it to come visit me every day.

That is one smart bird! Of course he was trained incrementally step by step but still amazing.
Not quite. All the birds in the study are only kept for two months. They are observed performing tasks without being trained, as that is the whole point.

Not quite. All the birds in the study are only kept for two months. They are observed performing tasks without being trained, as that is the whole point.

I thought they said they had done each step before but just not all steps together in the correct combination? Either way, it is awesome. Will watch again and show wife.

That was pretty awesome, I know a lot of humans who would have given up long before they figured it out.

There was a really neat video out a few weeks ago about crows who took gifts to a little girl who was feeding them. They brought her all types of trinkets, and even returned an object her mother dropped and lost by accident.

There's a lot more going on in animal minds than we know...

Crows are survivalist. Basic instinct.

they steal eggs and baby birds from the nest. they steal baby bunnies from the nest. They suck, but thats nature.

When I was a kid I remember reading a Ranger Rick article about the smartness of birds, specifically crows and ravens. It said that if the shell of a nut is too hard for the bird to crack, it will place the nut in the path of a vehicle so that the vehicle will run over the nut. It will then collect and eat the pieces of nut. They are also smart enough to pull up unattended ice fishing lines when they see the line moving. They use their beak and their foot to pull up the line then eat the fish off the end of it.

One has only to look at a parrot who learns to mimic the complex variations of the human voice to see how smart birds can be. Not only do these birds mimic such sounds, they can connect meaning to the sounds.

I almost got hit in the head with a clam the other day thanks to the seagulls here. They crack their clams open by flying high in the air and dropping them on the beach, often times having to do it dozens of times to get it to crack. This is quickly followed by other gulls being opportunists and trying to steal the clam that the other bird worked so hard to crack. It's a gull eat gull world out there.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom