Today's hunt covered two states, caught ring 44, and news of a crazy cool new? scoop

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Today's hunt started up with heading up to the local MD shop with my buddy SodBuster (member here, but NEVER posts). He is still getting started on this whole MD thing and he needed a scoop. He ended up buying one of Chuck's works of art, a Stealth 720, I also took a picture of a pretty cool looking scoop, I have never seen on the internet anywhere. I will post that picture on another thread, that pic is still on my cell...

Covered two states today, started in OH, and all I found at that place was a junker earing, and 2 zinkers scooped while screwing around in the dry sand. This place was a stark barren desert as far as targets in the water. Spent three hours there and NADA, nothing, zero, zilch...

After a while I asked Sod Buster if he was ready to make tracks and head home or ?.. He said he would not mind trying another place... I suggested we still had time to sneak in an hour at Ring Beach, it was closer to my place and he had to drop me off back home anyway. So off to MI. to take a spin at Ring Beach..

Sod Buster stayed near shore still getting rid of the green on his horn. I hit up a cut about waist deep that I already knew was full of iron and everything else. About 45 minutes there and the cold front started whipping some crazy 30-40 mph gusts. It was getting late and Sod Buster said he would meet me back at the truck. I continued, just one more target, just one more... I got an alringt signal and after a couple scoops I had it, muddy and all, I thought it was a really big silver ring, after further rinsing it turned out to be a POS top of an iron container of some kind.. Well that was my last target, so I made a straight line through the water toward the parking area, still swinging lol...

Just before getting out there was another deep cut, not more than 4 feet from dry land. I got this warm fuzzy 43 signal. I don't know why, I decided to dig it, these signals are almost always these paper thin tiny pieces of aluminum that have been worn to almost be transparent. But I started scooping, and scooping, and after four scoops the target was in my scoop. It was deep. I dumped the scoop on my board and started looking for the tiny seed of aluminum..

And then I found it, RING #44!!! It was nice and shiny and looked very good in what was almost dark and about to storm any second.. Hurried back to Sod's truck and we headed back to Scratcher Headquarters for a better look.. Turns out to be my first combo yellow and white gold ring and has a little ice too. It seems to be older and pretty worn, but I think I can make out what is left of a "4" so I'm thinking it is 14K! It weighs a little more than yesterday's catch at 2.5 grams.

I am a very happy pirate as of late!!

Here are the pictures...

IMG_4098_zps726d5d42.jpg

The two colors here look uneven, and they are, because the color change happens diagonally on the top..
IMG_4090_zps92eea43a.jpg

Here is a top view of the change between yellow and white..
IMG_4087_zps09b7ccc0.jpg

What looks like what remains of a "4"?
IMG_4091_zpsc8fe9285.jpg

Booty from two states, two zincs and a junker earing are everything from three hours in OH., lol...
IMG_4079_zps64e71b2a.jpg

Junk, all from MI..
IMG_4094_zps87f97ace.jpg

Good luck to all and thanks for looking!!!

<*)))>{

Grats man. Now that the weather has gotten colder, you gonna keep hunting in the water with your waders or do the dry land?

Beautiful and old ring my man. That was either lost long ago or someone raided moms jewelry box and lost it recently.

If you are curious about it's age a jewelry store can tell you if the stone is an old european cut or a modern cut.

I'm betting it's old. Great job man Congrats! :cool:

I am betting its an old mine cut. Yes a jeweler can tell you for sure.

Way to go!!! Hope you have some waders so you can still play for a month or two.

You are saving all that gold from drowning. Great job

I am betting its an old mine cut. Yes a jeweler can tell you for sure.

Way to go!!! Hope you have some waders so you can still play for a month or two.

I think you and I may need to go over to old Ice Scratchers AO and help him out cleaning up those beaches.

They seem awfully cluttered. :laughing:

Congrats on another nice ring find. That ring looks almost like my Mom's engagement ring from 1953. Can't wait to see what you post next. You may have to 'cut loose' with a bit of your gold and invest in a heavy duty wet suit so you season can last longer. It sound like you are going to have to guard your beaches from invading pirates. : ) Good luck!

Grats man. Now that the weather has gotten colder, you gonna keep hunting in the water with your waders or do the dry land?

Thanks guys!!

Yep, I got waders, I learned how to walk in waders as an infant..

The fact that this was just a few feet from shore is good news going into wader weather...

I don't know how many 43's I have ignored, especially near the shoreline cut where all the really light weight stuff ends up. My other woman's ring that is white gold came in at 43 too...:yes:

I said I am going for 50 rings before I leave the water, but I'm adding 2 words...

I am going for at least 50 rings before I leave the water!

<*)))>{

I think you and I may need to go over to old Ice Scratchers AO and help him out cleaning up those beaches.

They seem awfully cluttered. :laughing:

Lest ye forget!!!

Scallywags caught pillaging me loot shall be keelhauled, and left marooned with Davey Jones for the life of the sea herself!!!

<*)))>{

Ha Ha Ha! I hope they heed the warning. But you know, pirates are a scurvy bunch and live on the edge of danger, so you better be prepared for an invasion.

Headed out now to try me another scoop mod..

I will report back tonight... Arr...

<*)))>{

Is that total rings or gold rings? I ask because some I hunt with only count gold as ring finds here in CT :lol: congrats on the oldie :)

Is that total rings or gold rings? I ask because some I hunt with only count gold as ring finds here in CT :lol: congrats on the oldie :)

That is the total ring count, but my gold ring count 8, just caught up with my silver ring count of 8! Right now in the past 34 days, I have found 34 rings total.

Today I took my first skunk at Ring Beach :(...

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom