Excal used or new?

Pilikia

I have the opportunity to buy a used excal for $900. Less than one year old.

I don't know any of the particulars of an excal except what I've read here. I understand they are prone to breakdowns which makes me a little leary. However, I also hear they are incredible machines. I am a DFPI user and would like a disc machine.

I'm mostly Beach and water hunting. Some dry sand.

What should I look for?
What questions should I ask?

Or should I buy a new one?

Thanks for any advice

95% of the machines I purchase I have purchased used. If he Excal is one year old, it is already out of warranty. It is priced $600. below a new one, so it comes down to how much has it been used and the condition it's in.

Got mine for $900 used here on the forums and haven't looked back... great buy from a great guy! :yes:

Really?!!
Where can I get a new excal for $1100?

I find them all for $1499... or more.

I would LOVE the site or the phone number!
Thanks!!

well, you aint looking in the right places then. I didnt pay what your finding them for and I bought mine brand new

Get quotes from a few different companies, lowest MACHINE only no extras price, and use them against one another. When one agrees to match the best low price get them to throw in an extra two years of warranty for free and call it a deal.... That's how i got mine...

Some are still in pre boom mentality. Where you could talk kellyco down to 11 or 12...back a year or two. More like 2010.

And most other vendors would match that. Welcome to the new age on metal detector prices.

I would say a good used machine is no different then a new one. So long as repairs are cheap an minor, and unit is in good working condition, your fine.

Stay away from machines with cracked wires, or coils, or pods. Not that they can't be fixed, its just not cheap. And if water got in deep, repairs can be extremely costly.

Really?!!
Where can I get a new excal for $1100?

I find them all for $1499... or more.

I would LOVE the site or the phone number!
Thanks!!

Our sponsors give great deals. Call Big boy hobbies. Tell him you are from Friendly and will give him a good review. Bart is top notch. I think for a couple hundred more you can get new. Unless that used Excal has a straight shaft included I would pass on it. Just me.

I found an old blue 800 on this forum for $670 shipped, it has done me very well,,,,,super sensitive,,,,,being the warranty is about out, keep looking,,,,

My thing is on a used Xcal ..... if you can get the serial number or confirm its been to the shop id consider it. But over a year and never been to ML.... it would give you a reason for concern if it were used much. Like you said they are good machines..... but if you can get a new one from say Bart and get an additional year warranty.... thats golden over a $100 off IMO.

Dew

Call Marcus at Hollands Brooks detectors. His user name is Marcus118.
Tell him i sent you, and he will blow your mind with a price

Got mine for $600 off here and it works great other then 1 speaker does not work due to a bad mod the guy I got it from made. Already talked to oldbeachnut about getting a fix for it. It was only used for 3 months so it is still under warranty but not sure since the mod he did.

The thing is, that used Xcals can be find for really cheap since we all know its a MD that needs serious care.

The price difference will be to consider, but for myself I'd get a new one and know i'll take care of it.

HH !

Back
Top Bottom