Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

Default Stellar day for flea market silver

Headed out on the "bikes" early this a.m. to go to a flea market about an hour away. I get there and get the best parking space to start off with, then I get to looking. Dang, second place I stop at and here is this pin with Utensils hanging off it, thinking "oh cool that would be nice for my boss". Well I turn it over, naw she doesn't need it, lol. Then I see the bracelet, no stinkin' way marked as well. I then pick up the "bow" see the mark, thinking where did she get this stuff(?) Anyway it cost me $7.00 for this. So we go to a thrift shop about 40 minutes away, where I picked up a very large sterling rope necklace a few months back. No s--t here's another rope chain, 925 italy, and then I spot the earrings. They are extremely small but can tell they are gold, also I run my nail over the part that goes in your ear, and yep there is a rough spot (10kt). Total today as follows......Sterling silver** Approx. 83 grams for $9.00--Gold**.24 grams $2. All I can say this has been my year for "second hand" silver. Good luck everyone in what ever "hunting" you do!
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Elite Member

excellent finds there

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 06-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Supporter

Stellar indeed! Nice work!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2019 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $77.29 ($912.50), Silver coins: 15 (21), Wheats: 42 (89), Gold: 1 (25), Plat: 1 (1), .925 11 (70), Rings: 12 (200), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Supporter

Lots of goods there! Sounds like a good day all around!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

Good eye, you were rewarded!

AT-PRO YTD (2)gold (14)silver (0)ster (15)IH (71)wheatie (0) gold coins Oldest 1802 KG III, Silver Dollar Club!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 PM

Not trying to be a wise guy...but id recommend getting a silver test kit and a gold test kit...There is a TREMENDOUS amount of jewelry and other things coming in from China and elsewhere that is being marked Silver or Sterling or 925 and when tested its being found that its all fake...And to make matters worse is there are so many dealers who know this but are just trying to get as much as they can for it

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JOE319 View post
Not trying to be a wise guy...but id recommend getting a silver test kit and a gold test kit...There is a TREMENDOUS amount of jewelry and other things coming in from China and elsewhere that is being marked Silver or Sterling or 925 and when tested its being found that its all fake...And to make matters worse is there are so many dealers who know this but are just trying to get as much as they can for it
Oh I know, I've been collecting jewelry "forever" and I have a pretty good eye for it. I have only purchased maybe 2-3 pcs. of junk in 50 years. I've looked these pcs. I just bought up on the internet and they are out there, vintage. Problem is I can't very well "test" jewelry at their stand......

Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by aviationgale View post
Oh I know, I've been collecting jewelry "forever" and I have a pretty good eye for it. I have only purchased maybe 2-3 pcs. of junk in 50 years. I've looked these pcs. I just bought up on the internet and they are out there, vintage. Problem is I can't very well "test" jewelry at their stand......
I have found a way to test at the stand or shop. Carry the stone in your pocket, when you have a second or 2, and piece looks like possible gold or silver. Scratch on the stone, then go to the car and apply the acid.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DigthenChuck View post
I have found a way to test at the stand or shop. Carry the stone in your pocket, when you have a second or 2, and piece looks like possible gold or silver. Scratch on the stone, then go to the car and apply the acid.
That is a good idea, but the time you go to the car and back, they could be gone. These are marked Mexican 925, so I really am not that worried about them. Anyway these were found in the "hills" and not many people really know what they have, just trying to make a buck, last year same market I walked away with 2 beautiful gold pieces for a $1.00 each, just sayin'........

Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by aviationgale View post
That is a good idea, but the time you go to the car and back, they could be gone. These are marked Mexican 925, so I really am not that worried about them. Anyway these were found in the "hills" and not many people really know what they have, just trying to make a buck, last year same market I walked away with 2 beautiful gold pieces for a $1.00 each, just sayin'........
At a $ .. you take the chance.. Great finds Gale !!

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (12) Wheats (64) Rings (15) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP