SWASTIKA, Mark that off the bucket list.. ID help?

JackalopeZL1

Elite Member
Hey folks, Well today I went out to my friends property where I found the piece of Reale(at least I think) and about 4 million square nails and found a few goodies. I found a couple round balls, One .30 call and one .50 and few other odds and ends and a PIN I need help iDing. It says S M B S around a medical cross. It is a screw type pin like a military style or something.

The the neatest find for me was this Copper SWASTIKA square. It has 2 little hinge pieces on the back. But nothing else. My wife was thinking maybe it was some sort of belt buckle or strap buckle but let me know what you think. Someone posted a 2018 goal thread and asked what you wanted to dig this year and I almost put a Swastika. Obviously a super neat piece of history. Also kind of neat how it was used for thousands of years and a sign of good luck and what not by many cultures until Hitler came along.

Let me know what you think it could be as well as the pin. thanks

Attachments

• SWASTIKA 1.jpg
    SWASTIKA 1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 492
  • SWASTIKA 3.jpg
    SWASTIKA 3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Swastika 5.jpg
    Swastika 5.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Swastika4.jpg
    Swastika4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 471
  • Swastika 7.jpg
    Swastika 7.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 469
You're right about the swastika. I think that is the Buddhist Swastika. For good luck and well being. The Nazi one is tipped on point. Like your wife, I would guess a buckle of some sort.

WOW, that is a really cool find. I knew the swastika had been used by many cultures for many years, but had no idea our military had used it.

Great find and great ID, i as well learned something new. Thanks for sharing!

Pretty cool!!! I found a gold plated pendant in a park awhile back that had the swastika on it, I also believe it had no connection to Nazi Germany. Nice find for sure, congrats!

Attachments

• 1105170112.jpg
    1105170112.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 241
GI belt buckle with a swastika?? Now I have seen everything - amazing.

Perhaps that pin is for St. Mary's Bible Study?

GI belt buckle with a swastika?? Now I have seen everything - amazing.

Perhaps that pin is for St. Mary's Bible Study?

On another forum there is a guy saying that gi thing may not be accurate as he has talked with the 45th regiment historian and posted some documentation showing it may not be. So still up in the air.

The pin is possibly a French red cross pin. Could be as old as 1864. I love this hobby!!!

Back
Top Bottom