Buried Item in Yard.

mpm

My grandfather recently passed away and many years ago he buried a large metal/iron item in a plastic container in his yard. Odd I know but I'd like recover this item. I only have a general area to go by and I don't believe the item is more than 12"-18" deep. Its in sandy panhandle Florida soil. I need some info from some professionals about what detector I might need to get and if I will even be able to find it. Any help or information would be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

While that item is fairly deep since it is large I think it should be findable.

As far as what detector to get, if you plan on getting into the hobby and want a higher end detector let us know the price range you need to stay within and if you are detecting just on dry land or also in water and at beaches.

If you just want an inexpensive (about $66) detector mostly just to find that object and maybe casual occasional detecting........

Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon that can be printed from their web site.

(with the coupon you can get the Tracker IV for about $66)

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

hobbylobbytk4.jpg

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

I have access to that particular model with through a friend of mine and we've not always had the best of luck with it. Maybe we just aren't very knowledgeable... Price isn't a huge factor and even though I don't plan on using it much. This is kinda a one off situation although I can see it being a rather interesting hobby. I wont be using it around any water.

Although I have never had or used one, the Garret Ace 250 May suit your purpose well. It's an entry level machine for around $250, several members here have one and they seem to do well, an F22 Fisher would not break the bank either. As previously stated, a large object at over a foot in depth should still be found by either machine.

Others will chime in with more knowledgeable opinion.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

12 to 18" bit deep but a can may beep, if the soil is quite soft I wonder if a metal probe used by bottle hunters could work though would be a lot of probes.

See if anyone near has a large search coil the stock may be pushing it's limit.

We probably have someone nearby ......

I imagine if you put the word out, one of use is close enough by that you could get a volunteer to come over and find it for you. Just let them hunt the rest of the yard and they will be as happy as can be.

If you're wanting to get a cheap detector and hunt for it yourself, I think the above mentioned Tracker IV should be able to handle that depth if the object you're looking for really is large. Just make sure the detector's set on 'all metal' mode so it doesn't discriminate out the iron that you're looking for.

It's a pretty solid beginner-level machine and very easy to learn to operate. Mine has found me hub caps and other large chunks of metal and at least 18" down in the sand, if not further.

If you're looking for a detectorist -- there are quite a few your part of the country. There definitely might be someone willing to drop by and have a look for you.

Best of luck!

You can find a volunteer by filing a report with lostmystuff.net. It's a free volunteer service comprised of people who like to help others.

Shoot me a pm if you want to get out for awhile?

Back
Top Bottom