• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Visual" magnet fishing

007tallguy

Elite Member
i'm guessing the beach and water hunting section is the right place to post this.

i've been tinkering around with my home-brew ROV for looking under the surface for any treasures which may catch my eye. seeing things and actually recovering them is two different stories, hehe. :roll:

i attach both a large hook and a small but very powerful magnet and then try to maneuver around when i see a target and go for the retrieval. much easier said than done, lol. :laughing:
here's a short clip of me recovering a lost minnow trap from a lake. this was my second attempt, but i managed to get! i lost my hook in the process (the leader let go), but will retrieve that with the magnet at a later date. ;)
thanks for looking,

Pete

That is pretty neat! I'm curious what your machine looks like?

thanks! now, if this photo will upload for me, lol. it's just pvc pipe, bilge pumps for thrust-er motors (pump housings removed and small props added), 50ft cable, 12volt gel cell battery and a few switches, fuses, etc.
i don't have a pic to show it, but i'm using a fishing camera to give me my live view of the bottom and another one doing the actual recording. :D

Attachments

• 20160507_132613_resized.jpg
    20160507_132613_resized.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 335
That's awesome that you built that!!

Very cool!

Have you seen these yet?

<°)))>{

just to add a bit more, i have some lead strips on the bottom of the frame and the small pieces of water noodle on the top, so i can chuck it any old way and it always goes upright for me. the dock where i retrieved that trap has all kinds of stuff on the bottom, everything from the usual junk we find everywhere to fishing gear and tackle of all kinds to a bicycle pump, lol. i even saw a cell phone or 2 down there. i may try for them tomorrow.
the biggest problem is trying to see my screen in the sunlight. it's not very large (5 inch) and it's black and white, so distinguishing specific smaller targets isn't easy. i'll play my recorded vid on the comp afterwards and see things i couldn't see on the other camera.

That's awesome that you built that!!

Very cool!

Have you seen these yet?

<°)))>{

yes i have! those are one cool little machine too but a bit pricey for me. but eventually i likely WILL have a factory made ROV, not sure which model as of yet. i'll get better depth and distance, better visual and maybe a grabber instead of my "hook n magnet" set-up, lol. ;)

yes i have! those are one cool little machine too but a bit pricey for me. but eventually i likely WILL have a factory made ROV, not sure which model as of yet. i'll get better depth and distance, better visual and maybe a grabber instead of my "hook n magnet" set-up, lol. ;)

Yeah they are really cool.. But building your own really is awesome... Much cred man!!

I want one for pranks while the fishing is slow.. Just sit in the shanty and let the games begin! :laughing:

<°)))>{

Yeah they are really cool.. But building your own really is awesome... Much cred man!!

I want one for pranks while the fishing is slow.. Just sit in the shanty and let the games begin! :laughing:

<°)))>{

Thank you very much! :yes:
This little project has been ongoing for almost a year now, lots of trial and error, the occasional electrical setback but not enough to call it quits, lol.
Everything is good to go for salt water use as well but I still have to tune it (add weight) for the denser water. The easiest thing to use are strips of lead flashing, just trim it a bit and wrap it around the frame at various points to to keep it balanced.
It was a fun build and it really opens up the opportunity to view a whole new world of things to see and of course, the possibility of picking up a bit of "treasure" along the way! ;)

Back
Top Bottom