Best Diamond Tester??????

Paulb

I have noticed a few people on here using Diamond Testers and was wondering what are the decent models to use.It seems like a wise investment for someone doing this hobby.THANKS ALL

Edaemus said:
I was also curious about this even though i dont hunt much jewelry would still be something interesting to know.
...............A good tester is going to cost you a pretty penny what I have done is taken my finds to the local pawn shop they will have a tester.

ya wasnt going to buy one myself just thought it would be cool to hear what people on the boards do use. have seen a couple of pics of a diamond tester and heard about gold tester.

I use the Presidium gem tester but I purchased it from a jewelry supply house in Mass. and its cheaper than the link in this thread... I'll look for the link later.

ok thanks for the link.......is it right most of the time?

Mind boggling

Wow its been several years since this thread has been addressed.
Ive been looking for a new diamond tester. The problem is there are so many different kinds and different price ranges.
You can get one for 16.00 from Amazon that comes with a 10X loup and has 8 positive customer feedbacks.
But then you read a little more at different sites that pretty much say none work.

I just want one that will tell me what a real diamond is.....and rule out the fakes.

5 years should have brought a ton of new items out.......

is there a reason why some are going so cheap now? Is there a new all-in-one tester thats comming out?

Best diamond tester... My mother...she can spot a zircon a mile away. The lady knows her diamonds!:yes:

Electronic diamond testers use the high thermal conductivity of diamond to determine if the stone is diamond or not. Unfortunately a few years ago a fake stone, only marketed as faceted stones, under the trade name Moissanite, came on the market that mimiced that property and it will fool ANY electronic diamond tester. And moissanite is often set in quality settings...it is not a cheap stone selling for around $200 a carat and is the best looking and hardest imitation on the market...it is colorless silicon carbide, like that black grit on the SiC sandpaper you buy at the hardware store!

However, you will find also Moissanite testers listed and they use the electrical property differences between diamond and Moissanite to separate the two. KT uses a two fold approach. Test with diamond tester. If positive, test with with Moissanite tester. If negative to Moissanite, then Loupe the stone. Moissanite is essentially perfect, which is rare with diamonds...there's almost always some visible carbon spot, icicle, or inclusion in diamond. Moissanite is also double refractive so if you look through the stone with a loupe at the edge join of two of the faces, you will see a slight double line, not a single line join as in diamond.

Best of luck in your efforts!

Best diamond tester... My mother...she can spot a zircon a mile away. The lady knows her diamonds!:yes:

Whahaha, thats true
happy.gif

Re: Diamond testers

Hello guys,

There are many diamond testers in the marketplace, many of these use the cold weather conductivity of diamond becoming greater than the vast majority of different supplies employed to simulate the item. A smaller hot place is placed for the jewel and also the rate at which the item cools will be tested through the device which often "bleeps" when the jewel will be diamond. Unfortunately there exists right now some lab. Produced stones which often likewise give you a "diamond" reading.

Hello guys,

There are many diamond testers in the marketplace, many of these use the cold weather conductivity of diamond becoming greater than the vast majority of different supplies employed to simulate the item. A smaller hot place is placed for the jewel and also the rate at which the item cools will be tested through the device which often "bleeps" when the jewel will be diamond. Unfortunately there exists right now some lab. Produced stones which often likewise give you a "diamond" reading.

What I said above!

Back
Top Bottom