Dumpster Diving Finds

SueLue80

Elite Member
Okay...so, I know some people think that DDers are nuts, but, I swear I'm not:crazy:(I don't do it a lot)

People throw away a LOT of things that are still perfectly good, and also a LOT of collectible things as well....

Well, as some of you know I live in apartments, and in every apartment complex there is an area where they tend to put the elderly tenants....When one dies or moves to the "home" their families usually just throw out anyting they don't want.....that's where I come in...I scan the top of the pile :hmmm:and if I see anything interesting:wow:...I'm divin:lol:

Well, a few months ago I found some patches from (I'm guessing) a Navy uniform....some pins....a vintage Bradley travel clock(not in great shape though:()....some chain jewelry...and my favorite.....a pocket Bible

The Bible was given to a man named Louis M. Nichols on Sept. 2, 1942....it has his Service Number in it as well(357-74-99)...I would like to find out a little more about him, but I think he may be deceased...How would I go about that? Every website I find, you have to pay for the info...and I'm broke (as usual) :roll:

I'll try to post a pic or two of the Bible in a min:D

Thanks for reading my thread! :thankyou:

IMG000072.jpgHere's the inside of the Bible...The cover is a dark blue.....

IMG000074.jpg These are the patches....Was I right in it being Navy?

IMG000075.jpg And, the clock...the outside of the case is red, the inside is lined in pink fabric, that has rusty water stains on it....it doesnt work right now, but I plan on getting it fixed:D

Thanks for lookin!! :thankyou:

Very Fun

I used to do that stuff as a girl.
Now I have nowhere really like that out here.
In San Francisco you can go for walks and find all kinds of goodies at night.
That Bible and Navy patch I can bet a WW2 veteran owned.
And yes its historical.
Very good finds indeed.
The clock is nice as well
Try searching any military/historical sites...

I used to do that stuff as a girl.
Now I have nowhere really like that out here.
In San Francisco you can go for walks and find all kinds of goodies at night.
That Bible and Navy patch I can bet a WW2 veteran owned.
And yes its historical.
Very good finds indeed.
The clock is nice as well
Try searching any military/historical sites...

My hubby is embarassed by it...:lol:.... I even have some boots I use espescially for it.....but I won't actually get in the dumpster unless I'm finding a lot of cool stuff....I try to rescue things that are still usable (i've found clothes still with the sales tags on) then I clean them up and put them in the laundry room...that way people who need it can get it :D

Furniture, I repaint, decoupage and whatever it needs and give it away....my little old lady friends LOVE some ofthe shelves and stuff I've done

Of course there's the little gems I keep myself;)

I'll try searching those sites...thanks for the help:D

Well, I've always heard stories (Legit) of people finding stuff for say a dollar or free at yard sales,Dumpsters etc only to get home and find historical or priceless items inside.
And then just the joy of bringing something back to life that someone once enjoyed,
Nothing to be embaressed about LOL
Your husband will be fine, as we all need something to keep our hands and minds busy.
As well idle hands are the devils workshop LOL

SueLue80 said:
Well, a few months ago I found some patches from (I'm guessing) a Navy uniform...

I found a few things about the emblem, I hope it helps your research. I googled "Navy ex-apprentice"

ndmexapp.jpg

Currently there is an Ex-apprentice emblem on Ebay for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/U.S.NAVY-PATCH,...temQQimsxZ20100128?IMSfp=TL100128199011r28327

Apprentice Boys
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apprentice boys were introduced during the period 1875-1880 and lasted only a short time until 1904. For a number of years, however, the apprentice system formed a major part of the Navy's training program for enlisted men. Its purpose was to attract high caliber youngsters into the Navy and give them instructions in seamanship, gunnery and the rudiments of a general education.

Apprentices entered the Navy between the ages of 14 and 18 and served until their 21st birthday. Unlike other applicants of that time they could not be enlisted at recruiting stations. Instead, they reported to one of the Navy's receiving ships at Boston, New York, Philadelphia or Mare Island. After 1883 they could also enlist at the training station at Newport. It was preferred that their parents or guardian accompany them when they applied.

Apprentices were examined by a board consisting of the commanding officer, one other line officer and a medical officer. By regulations of the time, the board could qualify some very small lads at the age of 14 years. However, for the 14 year olds, 4 foot nine and 70 pounds were the minimum height and weight, while for the 16 year olds the figures were 5 foot one and 90 pounds. Applicants had to be able to read and write, or in special cases where the boy showed general intelligence and was otherwise qualified he could be enlisted notwithstanding that his reading and writing were imperfect. Their character had to be well above average and upon being accepted they became Apprentice Third Class. Pay was $9.00 per month. Within one month after enlisting, the apprentice was transferred to the naval station at Newport. There he received instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic and the basic subjects of the seaman's profession. This period of shoreside training lasted six months. Next came a period aboard a cruiser training ship. Cruiser training ships formed a regular squadron. In 1897, for example, the apprentice training squadron was formed on Essex, Adams and Alliance. Bark-rigged and wooden hulled, they were 185 feet long and displaced 1,375 tons. The permanent ship's company of these vessels were mature Navymen especially adapted for that particular service, as regards to character, intelligence and professional qualifications.

Apprentices were stationed in one part of the ship for three months, as royal yardmen at the maintop, for example. Only in case of necessity were they detailed for duty as messmen. Cruiser training ships made a summer cruise and a winter cruise. After making both cruises the apprentices were transferred to a cruising ship of war. At this time they were advanced to Apprentice Second Class. Pay was then $10.00 per month. Aboard the cruising ship their duties continued to include considerable training. After one year's service, they were advanced to Apprentice First Class, monthly pay of $11.00.

Apprentices First Class had a grade equal to that of Seaman Second Class, or Ordinary Seaman; and an Apprentice Third Class was equal to that of Seaman Third Class, or Landsman. As a group these were the "Apprentice Boys" (there was also a rating of Boy in the Navy in 1797).

In view of the difficult entrance requirements, the low pay, and the varied duty they were subjected to, the question often was asked why would a youngster want to become an apprentice. One of the reasons was that they received a good education for the time, and at the same time received systematic instruction in seamanship.

The apprentice training system in the Navy ended in December 1904 when it became merged with the landsman training system of that time. The main emphasis shifted to basic training ashore, with a three months' course of instruction at one of the Navy's three training stations. These were Newport, Norfolk, and San Francisco. The last Apprentice Boy payed off was Harry Morris, TMC who served from 1903 to 1958. Chief Morris, like the other ex-apprentices, wore a figure eight knot insignia on his uniform.
[/FONT]

suelue. the Navy patch is of a First Class Petty Officer. The rope square knot on it I think indicates he worked as a Boatswain mate on the deck of a ship. Cool bible. I can't believe someones family would throw something like that away. Glad you rescued it. Cool stuff

I worked doing apartment maitence for a while. I couldn't believe the things that people move out and leave, or throw in the dumpsters. We found everything from working televisions, air conditioners, stereo equipment, to unopened Christmas presents. Most was in really good shape, some almost new.

we just threw out bags and bags of decent things when my dad died at the assisted living home, we just could take all that stuff with us. I would like to say, what you do with the stuff you find is noble, and tells alot about you as a person suelue, good luck!

It never ceases to amaze me how much treasure is thrown out in the garbage. I sell and restore vintage high fidelity equipment(stereo) some of which I find curbside.
Much more is probably in dumpsters I just don't have the time to stop and look.
Allot of that has changed since ebay came into the picture. Its easier to look up values.

A metal detecting buddy

of mine bought a single wide mobile home in a 55+ park here in Florida. The old duffer that owned it previously went to a nursing home where he passed away. The family cleaned the place out throwing all they did not want away.
They left the furniture and household items there and put it up for sale at a price to move it fast. When my friend bought it and he was moving out all the old furniture and beds, he found that Lo and behold, the old man left every valuable thing he owned under the bed. Old coins, at least 5000 dollars in guns real value.:gettinmoney: plus a lot of other goodies. worth far more than the price he paid for the mobile home.
There is reward in being thorough. Wonder what they tossed into the dumpster? :roll: Gil

It never ceases to amaze me how much treasure is thrown out in the garbage. I sell and restore vintage high fidelity equipment(stereo) some of which I find curbside.
Much more is probably in dumpsters I just don't have the time to stop and look.
Allot of that has changed since ebay came into the picture. Its easier to look up values.

I just finished the restoration of a Fisher 500c and sat down last night and played it for the first time, for a lot of my CD's it was like listening to them for the first time. What difference!:D

I was a dumpsetr diving pro back in 07... I made over $40K scrapping metal found dumpster diving and trash picking... Never think twice about it!! I found a lot of valuable items thrown away in rich neighborhoods..

I used to live in a city that had a semi annual big trash p/u. Well, there are people who will throw antiques away. Sometimes they have plans on refinishing them, and then get tired of looking at it, and toss it. At the time I had an antique refinishing shop, so I would pick some of these items up, repair, refinish and some times keep, or sometimes sell the items. I remember this one guy was throwing away a mahogany parlor table that had been in the family since the early 1900's. He hated to throw it away, but had no idea how to begin the repair and refinish of it. I took it refinished it and, sold it back to him. He was more than happy to buy it. I have also found old camel back trunks, you name it, I've found it.

SueLue, what a neat thread! I've never gone Dumpster Diving, but have pull quite a few things off the curb on trash day. Air conditions that don't work (worked great after a filter cleaning), furniture that just needed some TLC, etc. I'm always amazed at what gets thrown out. The uniforms and bible that you found are great! It's a shame that noone in the original family wanted those. Curt

I just finished the restoration of a Fisher 500c and sat down last night and played it for the first time, for a lot of my CD's it was like listening to them for the first time. What difference!:D

I`m sure it sounds sweet with the new caps and resistors. I have had many models 400,500,600,800 over the years but never kept one for myself. too much resale value and especially if they are un restored:?:
I think if I really sat down and listened I would fall in love.
The new great sound is the first generation solid state units by fisher,scott ect. They do sound incredible and very tube like.
By the way they have a fabulous phono section if you have vinyl.

I was a dumpsetr diving pro back in 07... I made over $40K scrapping metal found dumpster diving and trash picking... Never think twice about it!! I found a lot of valuable items thrown away in rich neighborhoods..

Wow!! 40K?? WOW!!

There was a front page article about a guy who does it for a living in The Dallas Morning News about a year or two ago....I remember he found leisure suits, a zoot suit, and a diamond tennis bracelet....It even had a list of DDing etiquette. Very interesting...

My best dive...

Was actually at the scrap yard where IBM threw out a new case of LCD displays, I did buy them from the scrap yard boss (because I wanted more calls) and sold them in the same day for over 10 times what I paid each.
:gettinmoney:

Back
Top Bottom